(Yet another) bumper shrinking option - UPDATE both bumpers done!

JNewm

True Classic
Hi all--

As the proud owner of an '81 X, I've long suffered with the ugliest of the bumpers. Inspired by the recent thread on "Techniques for compressing bumper shocks," and particularly @Isotope9's method, I decided to have a go at tucking the bumpers in, starting with the rear.

Straight away, I discovered that Isotope's method wasn't going to be as straightforward as I hoped. You can see here from Isotope's photos that the bumper shock is connected directly to a flat rectangular shaped piece of aluminum.

1606160631556.png

But here's what that piece looked like on my car (as rendered by MS Paint, the poor man's Photoshop)... Maybe the mounting styles changed from '79 (Isotope's X) to '81 (mine)?

1606161023243.png

To mount as shown in the photo above, I would've had to cut the "legs" off the mounts, which would've been tricky given my current (lack of) tools.

So what I ended up doing instead was just (1) drilling holes through the bumper itself, (2) eliminating the mounts altogether, and (3) mounting the bumper straight onto the bumper-shock flange. (I also painted the bumper Bertone-style black.)

Here's the finished product:

1606161539629.png

1606161597521.png

I think it turned out pretty well, and was SUPER easy, for anyone out there who's limited in terms of tools, skills, or both. (Both, in my case.) Aesthetically, I think it looks better with the plastic side things mounted, so I reinstalled those.

One weird issue: the bottom lip of the bumper runs into the tow-hooks first, so the bumper can't actually be tightened down until it's totally flush-mounted onto the bumper-shock flange. What this means is that as you tighten the bolts, the bumper eventually starts to tilt upwards. You can kinda see this in the side-view pic above. I could loosen the bolts a bit to get it "flat" again, but (1) this way shrinks the visible gap between the top lip of the bumper and the car body, and (2) the angle on the bottom of the bumper matches the angle on the side plastic piece now. So it doesn't bother me as much visually as it might otherwise.

This pic shows what I mean:
1606162566575.png

In theory, you could actually get the bumper tucked in even closer--and eliminate the tilt issue--by either cutting the tow-hooks off or grinding divots into the bumper where it currently hits the hooks. But I don't know how you would be able to get a wrench on the nut (inside the bumper) to tighten everything up if it were actually tucked tightly up against the car body. It was a very tight fit as is.

Anyway, there you have it: the easiest way to tuck a [EDIT: rear] late-style bumper!

Update: the front was much more of a chore, but I just finished it today. I'll do a different thread on that, since it ended up being a different project, but here's a pic of the finished product:

1606680944478.png

Attachments

• 1606161541915.png
    1606161541915.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Definitely looks great! I was contemplating doing the same to my 81. Looks very doable.

I actually don't mind the Big Ugly Bumper ("BUB") on the back, as I tend to think the X is a bit unbalanced visually for a mid-engined car. Its proportions are almost like a front-engined roadster instead of the classic mid-engine look. More specifically, the distance from the front of the car to the start of the windshield is considerably longer than the distance from the rear of the car to the C-pillar. By way of contrast, the classic mid-engine look situates the cabin in the middle, so that those two lengths are the same.

Here's the X vs. a McLaren 720S to illustrate. (Not that the McLaren is a "classic" mid-engined car, I just happened to see one outside our building yesterday night so it came to mind. I do think it's fairly "typical" though.)

1606317696393.png

So the perfect fix for the X's VISUAL bumper problems, to my mind, would be to leave the BUB on the back (albeit tucked in, b/c the stock length is just absurd) but remove the BUB and go bumperless on the front. It would still be a bit unbalanced, but less so.

The Stratos is really interesting in this regard--there are lots of little visual tricks that seem to push the cabin even further forward. The roof spoiler creates a kind of fake C-pillar, plus the duckbill spoiler stretches the rear section out a bit, even without a rear bumper. Plus the windshield rake is ridiculously steep. Altogether, you're left with an excess of goodness.

1606318514145.png

Attachments

• 1606318460287.png
    1606318460287.png
    493.3 KB · Views: 26
I see what you mean, but there are others with long hoods, long front overhangs with shorter rear. But again, I see what you mean.

D13B5C5A-FF8A-4D13-8E75-382F5A3A66BE.jpeg
0B753E07-1F1A-4978-96AD-E8656936E736.jpeg
C154F1BC-4F32-4E5B-88A9-0EBDACB7B2E7.jpeg
8EA27996-3EA0-4BEE-B4AF-97154525A8F5.jpeg

That's a great point--I suppose by "classic" I really had in mind the Countach-type look. What's that second-to-last one? It looks like a 308, but I thought all those had the side NACA duct things?

That's a great point--I suppose by "classic" I really had in mind the Countach-type look. What's that second-to-last one? It looks like a 308, but I thought all those had the side NACA duct things?

The car you're asking about is a Ferrari 512BB.

While 308s have side intakes, they don't have NACA ducts, that is a very specific duct design. A NACA duct is used on the front hood of a 924 Turbo and Ferrari F40, the sides of the Countach and 512BB (posted a new pic with red lowers instead of the black), the hood of the Montreal, etc. In comparison the last pic are the intakes of the 308, well sort of. :) A KEEN eye will notice a NACA duct on the lower side. That's because this isn't a 308, but a 208 Turbo. :) An Italian market tax dodge car.

730269EF-C05F-4B85-8836-3DE9DDEED8F5.jpeg

047ED6BD-A44F-4E91-8006-75F987FCB62A.jpeg
5175C325-0139-4B9A-B6EA-D7E74F4701BD.jpeg
DD660386-4333-4EEE-ADEA-EB2855E33A1D.jpeg

F6814189-CC26-4BD6-B174-86F1645BA4C6.jpeg

"A keen eye..." Mine just tells my brain "prettty!" Going to go check the couch cushions and see if there's a couple hundred thousand bucks hiding in there to start a Ferrari Fund...

"A keen eye..." Mine just tells my brain "prettty!" Going to go check the couch cushions and see if there's a couple hundred thousand bucks hiding in there to start a Ferrari Fund...

Hah. No need for a couple hundred. Can get a decent one for $50k. Or an Alfa 4C. Yummy.

I tend to think the X is a bit unbalanced visually for a mid-engined car. Its proportions are almost like a front-engined roadster instead of the classic mid-engine look.
Agreed. Although a lot of the "wedge" era designs tended to be like that (long nosed), I agree it doesn't look nearly as "exotic" or "sexy" as a more balanced proportion - such as you describe. On the X I'd prefer a shorter nose and some more stretch between the cabin and the rear axle. However I fully realize this is a matter of personal preference and taste, which will be different for everyone.

"Going to go check the couch cushions and see if there's a couple hundred thousand bucks hiding in there to start a Ferrari Fund..." You must have a huge couch. :D

there are others with long hoods, long front overhangs with shorter rear
Very true. Again, personal preference and certainly not judging others' taste, but that feature is the aspect that's always bothered me on many of those examples. Specifically the long nose overhang typical on many Ferraris. As much as I like the overall style of several such models (I've had a couple of them), I always thought they could be made even better with a little re-proportioning this way.

Aside from the overall proportions aspect, I also prefer bumperless bodies....pretty much on any car. The 'clean shaven' look is so much more functional looking like a purpose built race car, and sleeker looking like a airplane.

Agreed. Although a lot of the "wedge" era designs tended to be like that (long nosed), I agree it doesn't look nearly as "exotic" or "sexy" as a more balanced proportion - such as you describe. On the X I'd prefer a shorter nose and some more stretch between the cabin and the rear axle. However I fully realize this is a matter of personal preference and Very true. Again, personal preference and certainly not judging others' taste, but that feature is the aspect that's always bothered me on many of those examples. Specifically the long nose overhang typical on many Ferraris. As much as I like the overall style of several such models (I've had a couple of them), I always thought they could be made even better with a little re-proportioning this way.

It was certainly a Pininfarina thing at the time that's for sure. You don't see that as much on other Bertone cars of the era, no where near like on the X. Gandini is the absolute master imho.

And isn't that 308 GT4 just amazing? I almost bought one in 1999. I absolutely love a Euro bumper car with 16" 308 QV wheels on it. omg.

CE8B8068-CCE8-45B1-85C4-CF9C91B3C440.jpeg
D0DBAF5C-2F57-4C6F-8850-15E05F018491.png
938C7819-D1F1-4452-9402-E59B40B40625.jpeg

And isn't that 308 GT4 just amazing?
Absolutely. That's more the proportion I was describing for how the X should be. Funny how the GT4's were not regarded as "respectable" Ferraris for so long. You could get one for nothing back then. Also wish I had, and kept it.

If I HAD to have bumpers on a car, then those early Euro style ones would be it. Especially when they bothered to make them part of the car's design, and not just a "add-on" after thought. I remember some very successful businesses that specialized in swapping US bumpers for the Euro ones.
Most cars' bumpers look more like some sort of obtrusive "safety device", like the guards on grinders (which I also remove). ☺

The Khamsin (I think that's what this is) has to be a candidate for "Worst Ever U.S. Bumpers as Compared to Euro Bumpers".

I mean, wtf is this:

View attachment 38957
That's the optional "park bench" accessory the dealer sold him on. Supposedly for when it's high noon tea time and you're out on the road. :p
Aside from that bumper, the rear glass though the tail light panel was kind of cool. At least until cars like Honda Civics started doing it as well.

How about this candidate for one of the worst US bumpers:

just-because-it-s-a-lamborghini-countach-dammit-1476934439878-1000x667.jpg

The Khamsin (I think that's what this is) has to be a candidate for "Worst Ever U.S. Bumpers as Compared to Euro Bumpers".

I mean, wtf is this:

View attachment 38957

You are right. That is famously hideous. The DOT didn't like the taillights in the glass panel which forced them lower to where the original bumper should have been. Hack job for sure. Luckily most Khamsins have been converted to euro bumpers.

The 308 GT4 though is not so easy. Converting US models to Euro involves a lot of body work. Better to just buy a Euro car in the first place, then again, they are worth more there so you'll pay for it either way.

In the spirit of thread drift, you guys seem like the kind of people who may have driven both 308s (and maybe 308 GT4s?) and X1/9s. How do they compare? All joking about couch cushions and $200k Berlinetta Boxers aside, I've given some thought to buying a 308 at some point when I either get bored of tinkering with the X or move to a house with an actual garage. But I've never driven or ridden in a 308. From YouTube, the engine (of course!) sounds amazing, but I also worry that just about anything would feel like a lumberwagon after driving an X.

I'll state what is solely my personal opinion, speaking strictly from my experience, and being as objective as I can be.

To me they really are not that much different. First they are of about the same general build quality (which isn't very good in my view), mechanical design (also not great), and overall reliability (same). Second both are very underpowered; although the X is more so, too little is still to little. Third, both are not practical in terms of comfort, space, ride quality, etc. Fourth, both require a lot of maintenance and repairs. However this is where one big difference comes in...the Ferrari is much more expensive to maintain and repair. On the other hand, the Ferrari is more stylish (better looking design), attracts more attention (if that's what you want), and makes you feel like your money got you something more (although given the huge cost difference it really didn't). Don't forget things like storage (you can leave a X parked outside, but not a Ferrari), insurance cost, registration/smog issues, risk of theft/vandalism, and even where you will be able to park it (wouldn't risk a door ding on the original flawless Ferrari paint).

So which one would I recommend buying? That will depend primarily on your budget, both in initial cost and future ownership expense. It will also depend on your ability to maintain and repair it yourself, unless you can find a competent/ethical shop (which is almost impossible to find). Furthermore I'd consider how long you intend to own it (realistically), how often you intend to drive it, and what you expect from it. Honestly it is a different game owning a Ferrari, but not that much different of a car in many ways.

Surprisingly, I've never actually driven a 308/328, but I have sat in a few and every time I am nonplussed with the driving position. I can't quite put my finger on what it is about it, and maybe I'd feel differently if I actually drove it vs sitting in it. Oddly enough I also don't LOVE the 308 GTS/GTB styling but I love, love, love the 308 GT4 styling. And unlike most folks I think the 328 styling was a step backwards from a Euro 308 GTB/GTS.

I have two Ferraris currently, one I bought specifically because I consider it a bigger, V8-engined X1/9--the 348ts. I wanted a targa and a flat-plane crank V8. And unlike the 308, I love the driving position and interior.

The funny thing about the 348 is that while it's bigger than an X1/9, the frunk is smaller, there is no rear trunk, there is no spare tire, and storing the targa top means scooting the seats up so far that it doesn't work for most people (I haven't tried it personally as I have a super-rare factory canvas folding top so I don't take the hard targa with me anywhere).

To me, the 348ts (or a Euro 348GTS) is where I'd plop my money. Much simpler, more reliable and more raw than the 355, but a MUCH better modern driver than any of the 308s. (Compared to the 355--No power steering (it's amazing), no active dampers, no 5 valve cylinder heads, no header problems, no F1 nonsense, for Spiders no power top problems as the 348 top is manual. And it's Fioravanti's original design.)

Yes the cambelt service is an engine-out affair, but the car was designed that way, which means while it's not as easy as a Honda Civic, it's not as bad as "engine-out" tends to sound. The cars are extremely solid and wouldn't be too much for most of us X-heads here. I highly recommend one.

Mine is a European-spec car I imported from the UK in mid-2017. It was originally sold in Germany so is LHD.

I also don't LOVE the 308 GTS/GTB styling
I used to feel the same way, not really caring for the 308 or 328 styling, but oddly I've grown to like them. Vice versa, I really liked the 348, but not quite as much any more. Maybe it has to do with getting older and my tastes are changing.

Completely agree about the major shift in Ferrari with the 355 (and even more so with the 360). They are a new era of vehicle. Much more drivable and practical in many ways, but completely different feel from older models. Much like how the Porsche 911 evolved from the early years to the modern era. So it depends on what you want to use the car for, what you expect from it. However I still don't consider any of them as daily driver material, to me they are just toys.

Back