Yet another round of "What is this wire".

Attila

True Classic
From an '86 with AC. This green wire, I believe, goes to the AC compressor, but my wiring diagram (from an '80/'81) shows that it should have 2 green wires crimped with a female connector instead of the male spade connector. It is above the alternator, about 1 foot long from the rest of the harness in the right-hand-rear of the engine compartment.
20200305_193751.jpg

Any ideas?

Pretty sure my '87 had a single green wire to the compressor also. There are splits/junctions in the harness, but further back.

On my '79 with AC the green wire to the compressor is very long. Really it's longer than it needs to be, so it sort of loops around across the rear crossmember before going back to the compressor. It also has (had, I've cleaned up all the wiring) branching as Huss described, but frankly I don't recall exactly where the nearest split was to the compressor. But there was only one wire by the time it actually got to the compressor. And I seem to recall a connector somewhere along the way, which might be what you are seeing. Perhaps that is only a portion of the original compressor wire, with a second portion that connects to that male spade and then to the compressor?

The charge wire from the alternator to the starter is (was) also green. It's a heavier gauge than the AC wire, but not nearly as heavy as you would expect a charge wire to be (that's a great upgrade, to replace it with a more substantial cable). So it looks more like a regular harness wire than a charging cable. So check to see if the wire in question may actually be the alt "+" wire?

Back