Youthful exxe owners

Rupunzell

Bernice Loui
It seems there are a number of new Xweb members who are of an entirely different generation which is GREAT to see.

This has surprised me as it seems most exxe owners in the past remember these cars when they were new.

Got to wonder what has gotten these new members interested in the X.

Not a new member, but a youthful one!

For me it was the desire to have an affordable mid engine car, had my eye on an AW11 MR2 but then my X just kind of fell into my lap. It had belonged to a next door neighbor of mine while I was growing up, so I had been around one my whole life just never really knew what it was until I bought it.

Yep...I'm 25 and have owned X's since I was 12.

I've loved them my whole life, my father had them as I was growing up...he was the go to guy in our city for classic European cars so I was always around them...

Even if I won millions or I get rich, i'd never hesitate to have an X in my stable...

I'm 27 now and I'd like to think I'm still youthful, I've owned mine for about 8 years now. My dad pointed them out and told me he remembered when they came out and he always wanted one, but not as much as he wanted a Lotus Europa...

I didn't really know much about the brand or the car at the time I bought mine, I just really loved the look/styling of the car.

At 29 I think I'm pushing the limit of "youthful" but I'll still chime in.

My dad got me interested in ours. We got into auto cross a year ago and moving into our second season he didn't want to put the wear on his car anymore, so sought out a cheap car we could beat on. I coincidentally had to sell the car I was running and needed something too. There is a pretty prepared X in our region with a very good driver that does very well and my dad had fallen in love with it when he saw it run, not really knowing anything about it. He stumbled across a cheap one on eBay, we decided to go halves on it, and the rest is history.

Neither of us knew much about them getting started but at this point I'm pretty fond of it and want to keep working on it. Dad actually no longer has interest in autox so I might be buying him out at some point. It honestly isn't one of my dream cars, but it's a lot of fun, cheap and easy enough to work on, and I like it enough that I'd like to hang on to it until I'm in good enough shape to start chasing those dream cars again.

well i am 16 so i guess thats youth. I've always liked interesting cars. i have a 77 alfa spider. my dad used to work on alot of alfas and other cars in the bay area. I first saw a red x/19 behind a import auto shop. it was in really bad shape. I took a look at it and was amazed that there actualy was a cheap mid-engined sports car. and no less italian. I did some research about them then found one on craigslist the same day by some odd luck in my town of 60,000. I got it for 600 dollars and since i don't mind working on it its a great car.
just put on a crankcase breather and started on the heater valve today.

Great style, fun to drive, intriguing to work on, affordable classic.

At 30 I'd put myself mid-range. However, my first X experience was at age 4 riding shotgun in my brother's X as he did doughnuts in the middle of an intersection. Kinda stuck in my head.

I've seen others ask if they thought X's were good cars for new drivers and I'd have to say yes. Great price, learn to wrench, drive something distinctive, get a good idea how to handle something with real road feel: every car after will seem easy and somewhat boring.

Bring on the teenage X drivers. As long as they drive respectfully and represent the make and model with dignity then I love to see youthful X drivers.

Here's to the next generation...:woot:

Phew, now that I've stopped that photobucket page from diving across my path...

I'm 18 and like abec I was just looking at something a bit sporty. Like most of my age group I was looking at good looking sporty cars for whatever reason (probably peer pressure), though I was never really satisfied with the general lot of Eastern garbage that seems to thrive amongst young people as I had no desire to spin my tyres or see who could get themselves killed first while racing. So I was on the look out for other types of cars I might be interested in owning, then at about 16 a friend told me about how his dream car was a Datsun 260Z and my love for old cars grew from there (though oddly my dads love of old cars had nothing to do with it as his idea of a cool car is a Citroen CX).

It was immediately obvious that manufacturers now lack the style that old cars drip with, so I developed a number of fancies from American, to Japanese to English cars and back but eventually I found an ad for an X1/9 for sale. At first I thought it was damn well ugly, but it's roof and engine cover were body coloured (something that goes right against my sense of car styling). But it grew on me, I found myself going back to that ad repeatedly before I started looking in earnest trying to find one to buy and by the time mine cropped up I was smitten with the gorgeous make of car.

Wow... I didn't realize there were that many "youthful" X owners.

My 1979 was born the same year I was.... so I just assumed that I was probably part of the young pups on this forum. apparantly I was wrong since ..... although strange to say.... it seams I am twice the age of some on here. lol

I have always owned an X since I was about 14. The very first one I saw I fell in love with it. But I was also a fan of the Countach, Pantera de tamosa, and a few others out there.... the X was a wannabe exotic to me that hadles great. I've had more X's then I can remember and am resonsable for parting out at least 5 I think. I wouldn't be surprised if I counted them all up to maybe close to two dozen so far. And ironically back to my origional i owned from the biggining with a spare chassis hiding back behind the shed. lol

Perhaps one day I'll write up a post about my X experiance. Scan some pics of what this one looked like when I first saw it some 17 years ago and cleaned the mice nests out of it. Turned it into a daily driver going to high school and then sold it when I went to college then bought is back ironically when I graduated ten years ago and now it's working on being a Dallara supercar wannabe. lol

I’m 19, and 2/3 of the cars (and both bikes) I’ve owned so far have been older than myself. I guess my opinion has been that the only sports cars a teenager (guys especially) can afford are usually older. Lets face it, they don’t make very many modern mid engined ″reasonably priced″ sportscars. Unless you consider a Boxster in that category, and I sure can’t afford one. Of course there were MR2s and Fieros, but I never cared for either, oddly. I always liked Italian styling and pursued the X1/9 since I first saw a good example of one, about 2 years ago.
Probably what got me into cars was my dad’s ’63 MG Midget, his first car. What got me into Italian cars I don’t know, probably my grandmother gifting me all those books about Ferraris.

At 29 I've been in love with the X since 12-13 yrs old. I bought my first X at 17/18 for $850 of hard earned summer roofing cash. Ive owned them on and off ever since and always will.

I still consider myself young....:italia:

Your not old till they start cutting stuff out of you...:eek:

I'm 27. My dad used to own a 124, then a 130, then a 131 (the mirafiori is the one i remember the most). Never had an X, so I bought one recently and have enjoyed every minute :)

I'm not sure what your calling youthfull, but at 32, I feel pretty young!

I have noticed that both young and old alike stop and take a look at my X, and I'm more than happy to share it with them!

Speaking of age, I found out something just last week that makes me know that my X was destined to be in my garage, It's a 78, but it's was assembled in Nov of 1977. Why is that important to me? because that was the month and year I was born. :D now, if I could just figure out what day she rolled off the production line, It would be even more amazing if it was on the day I was born. ;)

I'm 23 and had never seen one in person until I bought mine. I was looking for a car specifically to use in Autocross and I wanted a Mid engine rear wheel drive layout. At first I was looking only at MR2's then I started looking at Fiero GT's but never found any I liked that were in my low price range. An older friend suggested an X as he had one back in the day and said it was a really fun car so I did a search on craigslist and found the one I bought. I did plenty of research on it and it met all my requirements except that it has a pretty gutless engine, on the plus side it's rare-ish and funky looking which is a good thing. Long story short I kinda just happened on mine.

I am 73 years young

and I fell in love with my X (the late GreenX) when she was 48 years younger then me, and that love is still going on strong.
Go figure out...

Growing up my older brother was always the car enthusiast (as well as the dad and grandfather). My brother used to show me pictures of cars he wanted when he got older (usually included a few Lancias in that especially).

I grew up knowing what a Fiat was, but never really seeing one, and didn't manage to recognize the one my Fiance had when I met him. I I just knew I got to stare at the awesome yellow car at the restaurant I was working at while running the Credit Card machine.

But, what really made me fall in love with the cars is just driving it. It does exactly what I tell it. I love the control, the peppiness, everything. Lack of AC...? Ain't no problem take the top off and roll the windows down.

Most people my age do not even know what a FIAT is. Hence while I drove it to college I'd been chased down a couple of time for people to tell me how awesome my guy's car was, gotten into street spats with a particular green Mazda, and gotten out of a parking ticket because campus police just didn't know what the car was... :D

It's just an awesome car, imho :italia:

It's Great To See..

and hear these stories from a generation of X owners that have discovered this car.

:clap:
Bernice

My father was into 50's era fiat's, a pre-war Topolino and a couple 500's.

I never knew the x19 existed until I saw one for sale on ebay last January and took the plunge....now I have 2 clogging my garage ;)

They are a fun cheap trackday / race car, and what's what really got me hooked.

Back