Yugo EFI manifold pictures and fitment.

fiatfactory

Steve Cecchele
Does anyone have any pictures of a Yugo EFI manifold on or off a car?

Does anyone know if it 'fits' an X19 chassis .. with / without engine cover/ body mods?

SteveC

I'll take a bunch of pictures later today if someone doesn't beat me to it. The manifold does appear to be a bit taller, maybe. The inlet is on the wrong side so intake pluming might be an issue especially in a turbo application.

Re: Photos?

Does anyone have any pictures of a Yugo EFI manifold on or off a car?
Does anyone know if it 'fits' an X19 chassis .. with / without engine cover/ body mods?

I have a few photos of the Yugo EFI manifold itself, the entire EFI setup as installed in the Yugo, & a modified manifold in an X & a 128. :)

Back in the early 2000's, I made a custom intake manifold/carb setup for my 128, using a Yugo EFI manifold modified to fit a Weber 38DCOE carb to it (carb sitting over engine with throats facing forward). Since my 128 was my daily-driver & I couldn't afford to have it off the road at the time, we used my friends' '74 1300 X1/9 as a "test mule" for the setup while we fine-tuned the manifold angle, carb jetting, etc..

The manifold itself fit ok in the X's engine bay (in our modified-for-carb form), but the top of the DCOE carb would hit the bottom of the (already low-profile) '74 engine lid, so we simply cut a hole in a used lid & made a little pop-up type intake scoop for clearance there (which, after testing, we discovered actually functioned as a vent for the hot air in the engine bay to escape from).

Judging by the OEM Yugo installation photo (below), you'd likely need to make a custom air filter box or just route an-extra-long air duct to the FI X's air cleaner unit. Not sure if the large 4-bolt hose flange on the Yugo manifold (near/over the timing belt cover) would interfere with the X1/9 engine lid frame or not, since I had cut that flange off the Yugo manifold & welded up the air intake port as part of my modification.

When I finally swapped this manifold/carb unit onto my 128, I also needed extra carb-to-hood clearance, so a spare 128 hood was sacrificed for "testing". The first version was a rather crude box vent/cover to cover the hole cut in the hood & protect the carb. I later removed the ugly box vent/cover & replaced it with a hood bulge that I cut out from a junkyard Mitsubishi Eclipse's hood. :headbang:

Much better aesthetics, though I never got around to actually welding it onto the hood & smoothing the seam (ie: "done proper", as I'd intended) - it was merely held in place with a few rivets around the perimeter.

Anyhow, here are some pics of the Yugo EFI manifold in various uses:

Bare Yugo EFI intake manifold:

Stock Yugo GVPlus EFI setup:

My modified Yugo EFI "SideWinder Prototipo" manifold next to a stock Yugo EFI manifold:

My modified manifold/carb setup itself:

As installed in the Test Mule X1/9:

The modified X1/9 engine lid (sort of a "Mini-Periscopio"):

As installed in my 128 Wagon:

Modified spare 128 hood with crude box vent/cover, aka the "Upside-Down Cake Pan". Ugly as sin, but did the job! The best detail of this (which I ended up keeping) was the rolled-up rear lip of the hood sheetmetal (best seen in this pic), which was done in order to keep rain water from running down the hood & directly onto the carb/filter assembly (there were small side-ports to redirect any water). At the time I was making this setup, we were in the middle of an unusually-heavy rainy season, hence the need...:

Re-modified spare 128 hood, now fitted with Eclipse hood bulge sheetmetal & painted white to match the car:

Anyway, enough about that... :bla:

Hopefully by the pics I've shown, you'll be able to better gauge if this Yugo manifold will work/fit for whatever purpose you intend on the X. :wink2:

Last edited:
D'oh!

Just realized that the easiest thing to do for more room if fitting this manifold in the X1/9 would be to simply slice off the 4-bolt intake port flange & weld up the hole in that end of the plenum (as I did on mine), then simply open an appropriately-sized hole in the other end of the plenum & weld the 4-bolt intake port piece back onto that end, instead. From there on, it's a much straighter/easier shot over to the normal X1/9 AFM/filter location, and it's a lot roomier on that side of the engine bay. :)

All around a pretty interesting arrangement. Might make for a nice way to do mega squirt or modify a Volvo system to an X

One wonders how well it flows compared to an existing X manifold. I can't imagine it would be much fun to port that one either

Great pictures Jeff, just what I wanted.!!

Looks like a nice even and straight run to the head... anyone got one for sale?

SteveC

All around a pretty interesting arrangement. Might make for a nice way to do mega squirt or modify a Volvo system to an X

One wonders how well it flows compared to an existing X manifold. I can't imagine it would be much fun to port that one either

Are people running LH2.2 volvo boxes with AMM's on X's? You just putting smaller injectors in it? Or you actually somehow remapping em? I know you can burn chips for LH 2.4 boxes, I have a buddy who does it, but that requires a crank sensor setup

Are people running LH2.2 volvo boxes with AMM's on X's? You just putting smaller injectors in it? Or you actually somehow remapping em? I know you can burn chips for LH 2.4 boxes, I have a buddy who does it, but that requires a crank sensor setup

That and more. Oh yes indeed we do have a member here who has integrated a fine variety of Volvo parts. There is a great thread that covers much of amazing work he has done, have a gander:

http://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/22458/

He has done a great job every step of the way. Read a few of his other threads and you can really gain a great deal of knowledge and see some great thinking and amazing craftsmanship. Highly recommended.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back