Installed a windshield -- lessons learned

geekdaddy

X1/9 Learner's Permit...
Just finished installing a windshield and thought I'd share my lessons-learned here -- and ask a question about the inside molding.

Overall went ok but found urethane can be challenging to work with and our "old-school" windshields are a lot different than the newer systems. In the end, mine is fitted evenly, securely, and snugly but I goobed more urethane than I should have. A few quick tips/insights:
1. I used a urethane with primer/activator. Dupont beta seal. Heard that's best.
2. Urethane is thick, pasty, and difficult to apply. Plan ahead:
- Warm the urethane tubes with hot water. Makes it easier to apply.
- Cut your application nozzles to form a good "V".
- Get a proper power caulk gun and make sure it fits the tubes.
3. Check the windshield fit in advance.
4. Make sure you have help while you align the windshield.
5. Clip-on the inside "U" molding over the pinch-weld after you set the windshield and before you press it onto the urethane.

I didn't heat my urethane very much and I tried using a manual squeeze caulk gun. The nozzles didn't fit my gun well and the guns required so much squeezing that that I bent the handles on two of them in the process -- I was exhausted. Also made it difficult to lay a smooth and uniform bead.

I planned to add the U-molding AFTER I set and pressed the windshield into place. Bad idea. By that time the Urethane had squished down onto the pinch weld far enough that the molding wouldn't fit. Lesson learned.

So now I'd like to trim the interior of my vehicle but cannot press my interior u-molding into place. Any recommendations for adding inside trim to cover the pinch weld and interior? I can post photos later if that helps...

Similar experience. I have extra goo globs that oozed into the interior, the interior trim U stuff was too trashed to reuse anyway but if you want it on, better do it BEFORE you place the glass, or as you say, it ain't going on after. I plan on looking for some L shaped stuff to cover the gap but haven't looked much yet. I also borrowed some of those suction cup glass handle things to move glass, they helped a lot.

Ditto... I purchased some suction cup handles from harbor freight on sale for $2.99 ea. I can use 'em for other stuff anyhow. Here's how mine looks right now.

Still got some "goob" to cut-out on the inside. The "upside" of our mistake is that we used more surface area from the pinchweld to adhere to the windshield since we essentially glued over the area normally covered by the U-molding. I used an FYG which also a little larger. My original windshield didn't really have much bonding surface area with the pinch weld area.

Some l-channel weatherstrip would be ideal. Any ideas???

oozs.jpg

8vh.jpg

Similar experience. I have extra goo globs that oozed into the interior, the interior trim U stuff was too trashed to reuse anyway but if you want it on, better do it BEFORE you place the glass, or as you say, it ain't going on after. I plan on looking for some L shaped stuff to cover the gap but haven't looked much yet. I also borrowed some of those suction cup glass handle things to move glass, they helped a lot.

Something like this might work...

With the "bulb" covering the inside seam between windshield and frame and the flange extending over the vinyl trim on the inside of the windshield frame. I might try it (or something like it).

http://www.mcmaster.com/#1142A77

When I've talked to installers about windshields they have told me that their book says there is a "clip" needed for installation that is NLA so they won't do the install. Any idea what that "clip" is? Not really needed I take it?

Not sure what "the clip" is.
Perhaps they're referring to the infamous U-channel trim piece I referred-to earlier? It clips onto the pinch weld edge on the inside of the windshield.

Some rubber gasket installs require clips to help keep the gasket in place in the case of a front-end collision.

Or, maybe they mean the little spacer shims to help center the glass in the frame?

How does the windshield trim attach from the factory? We just pulled it off of my parts car and it was just glued to the windshield. I'm looking at replacing 2 windshields and my son can get the FYG through his work, he's a glass installer. What I see as the issues are the pinch weld trim on the interior, one of the above listed from Mcmaster could work and reattaching the exterior trim. If it's glued on from the factory that might be the answer if you can get it cleaned up enough as urethane doesn't stick to dirty urethane and it damn tough to remove.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#trim-molding/=n8xctd Item # 24175K13 May work if you install it before setting the windshield, pretty close to the OEM trim. Go to link then search on the Item number.

Last edited:
Cool that actually simplifies the process if you can get the trim cleaned up. Were the original windshields Urethane set or butyl rubber set? Butyl is a bit easier to cut out and clean up.

Pretty sure my '87 X was set in polyurethane. But, my Scorpion manual says they were set in silicone. I prefer the polyurethane. Butyl rubber would be too flexible I think.

My original windshield was not original but was very old and probably installed early in the life of the vehicle. It was set in butyl rubber. I recall reading that the earlier X 1/9's (70's thru sometime in the early 80's) were set in butyl.

My exterior chrome trim was also set in butyl.

I've read the urethane is much stronger and a better solution for replacing windshields from any era. Can also be used to set the exterior chrome trim ring.

Since I effectively "blocked" the pinch weld area where the U-channel could be mounted, I've ordered some P-channel EPDM molding which I believe can be glued into place and should look nicely finished, although not the same look as the original U-channel. I'll post photos when I install it.

Cool that actually simplifies the process if you can get the trim cleaned up. Were the original windshields Urethane set or butyl rubber set? Butyl is a bit easier to cut out and clean up.

The Urethane is the superior product, the butyl came along after the full rubber gaskets which were even more of a pain to deal with.

The Urethane is strong enough that the glass becomes a structural panel in the car, neither the butyl or rubber gasket can claim that. The butyl is a lot easier to clean up and prep for the new install with Urethane so I'm kinda hoping mine 79 & 80 are Butyl so I don't have to work as hard.:)

Yep that's what I'm worried about. The 80 spent all of it's life in a garage so it shouldn't be bad, it spends it's winters in dry storage now but does get rained on in the summer, I don't have dry parking, the shop is full of tools and projects. The 79 I don't know the history of, no visual rust around the windshield frame but there is evidence of added sealer around the outside edge of the trim. I don't know if it was added because of leakage or because the trim was loose so I better figure it out before cancer can get started or get worse.

My son said he would bring home the Urethane cutting tool when the time comes, similar to a sawzall with a thin flexible 3" wide chisel blade that you slide in on the inside then just cut down at the edge of the glass and pop it out. I haven't seen it yet but it sounds easier than cutting by hand.

Looking forward to seeing yours when it gets back from the body shop, it's always nice to see an x get a make over. :)

Back