dot dot dot, dash dash dash, dot dot dot

BellaMacchina

1976 Fiat X1/9
Catchy title?

I have a factory mystery switch on the base of my instrument console next to the defog switch. When I turn the switch on, nothing happens. I looked it up in my Haynes shop manual, but it wasn't illustrated in the diagram showing the instrument aray.

What is the switch that looks like this, "..." Supposed to control?

I have a bunch of those switches...

I always assumed that they used those for undesignated functions to be installed later. My 87 has those installed wherever a "real" function such as hazards are not installed. But I am not the original owner of the 87, so I can't swear they weren't swapped in at some point.

My 86, which I was the original owner of, just had blanking plates in the unused switch positions, as I recall.

Pete

Generic accessory.
Late models it was commonly used for the power antenna.
You show a 1976 so those switches were diff from the late model push in type.

Post a photo if you can...not sure I've ever seen an early version of the . . .

image of the switch

So the switch in question is the one on the right. The one on the left is the defogger.

I did not know there were optional accessory switches on these cars, it stands to reason, and explains why the Haynes shop manual does not specify them.

How do the switches come out? Do I remove the whole console or do the individual switches pry out? Maybe I can trace the wires some how.

Generic accessory.
Late models it was commonly used for the power antenna.
You show a 1976 so those switches were diff from the late model push in type.

Post a photo if you can...not sure I've ever seen an early version of the . . .

I posted the picture of the switch in question. OK so it is for an accessory, or the potential of one! As I was going through the car to see what works and what doesn't work that switch was the one that did not do anything, that was not obvious what the function was...I thought it might have had a purpose.

In later years those spots were for power windows. My PO had installed some "extra" switches which turned out to disable the headlight motors! Took me a while to figure out why they didn't work! I put a switch in one of those spots for my power antennae (mine had blanking plates). What's that switch on the center console, low down in front of shifter?

In later years those spots were for power windows. My PO had installed some "extra" switches which turned out to disable the headlight motors! Took me a while to figure out why they didn't work! I put a switch in one of those spots for my power antennae (mine had blanking plates). What's that switch on the center console, low down in front of shifter?

It is a dial to adjust brightness of the instrument panel I believe. The car is not near me right now so I can not check. Everything else I have kind of figured out. There is a dome light switch that doesn't work currently, there is a switch for the defogger, hazard lights (also does not work) and the light for the instrument panel, and one more three way switch for the heater fan.

M

In my 1978 serie speciale there is no switch in the position of your "..." switch, simply a blanking plug, but underneath is the factory installed wiring for factory spotlights...

yes the dial is a dash light dimmer,or rheostat.

SteveC

In my 1978 serie speciale there is no switch in the position of your "..." switch, simply a blanking plug, but underneath is the factory installed wiring for factory spotlights...

yes the dial is a dash light dimmer,or rheostat.

SteveC

Thanks for your help Steve. Do you know how to access the switch to see if anything is wired to it? Do I carefully pry up the switch or do I take apart the console?

switch should just gently wiggle out... but you might find it easier to remove the two back screws that hold down the console and push up from below

SteveC

In my house there's this light switch that doesn't do anything. Every so often I would flick it on and off just to check. Yesterday, I got a call from a woman in Germany. She said, "Cut it out." -- Steven Wright

.... When I turn the switch on, nothing happens....

In my house there's this light switch that doesn't do anything. Every so often I would flick it on and off just to check. Yesterday, I got a call from a woman in Germany. She said, "Cut it out." -- Steven Wright

Steven I will try switching it on and off a few more times, no phone calls so far but I am hopeful! ;)

Thanks Ian!

My car has fog lamps, but they were added later likely due to how dim the low beams are, if there is not enough light...add more!

Ian your car is about the same vintage as mine likely with the same fuse box using the ceramic fuses, may I ask, did you do the BWM to your car?

M

Back