finnaly gonna do the brown wire mod

xman

86 x 1/9
i finnaly decided its time to tackle the problem . But when i researched the previous posts I got confused regarding the 70 amp fuse entry by greg silver .is this an alternate fix in stead of the original or you should do this also ? and there is mention of a 60 amp thermal protector what i found on line was...
Klixon Texas Instrument 60 Amp Ignition Protected Thermal Circuit Breaker CDLA6 0 about $25.00 including shipping would that be what im looking for?

i have read and re red the 70 amp relay direction and i cant figure out does the brown wire stay connected to the switch and you splice (t connect to it like the original BWM ) or are you removing it and running a wire straight from the relay to the ignition via the relay power coming from the battery thru the relay?

im sure im making this harder that it is its just my head hurts i made a crude drawing of what i think i should be doing

X-Man... STOP! The BWM does not require a FUSE...

or a RELAY... (and we NEVER mention that person's name on this site anymore...)

The latest and greatest Brown Wire Mod was enhanced by OUR Mr. Bob Brown and it is the best method by far.

Now called the BBBWM (HA!) and just entails running preferably an 8 or 10 gauge length of wire from the + battery post to the the FUSE BOX... and finding a good, easy and appropriate place to tie it into the existing BROWN wire that is terminated there as well.

(Ya see... the factory's BROWN wire is not of a sufficient enough size and gauge to handle the current demands of this car... Replacing the original BROWN wire with a much larger size is one solution, but an easier solution is to run another wire parallel to it.)

You will be amazed at the results in WSW and LIGHTING and DIRECTIONAL performance... with almost all the Alternator Red Light glow going away.

Sorry... but I have NO fotos to show ya... PAGE Bob Brown and ask if he will post a few. Here is a foto of the late model fuse and relay box...

You can see the LARGE BROWN wire at the top... and terminate your new wire close to where this one is tied down.

Or you can do yours like mine...

HTH... Oh... almost forgot... you will want to do a HRM and a SRM and a WSWRM along with a Stereo RM at some later date. Details after you care for the BBBWM.

Late models - Are different beasts especially the electrical. My understanding is you're considering applying a mod that is applicable to earlier cars.

The power distribution mod for a later Bertone is:

Simple: http://www.network54.com/Forum/12159/thread/1041561396/The+Mod+to+the+Mod+for+Later+Model+X's
That was me back in 2003 on XWeb1.0 - wow 12 years ago. Pics are missing.

http://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/26935/ - more details - of how to do it LookForJoe Style, a pic of the bus I used, etc...

Not So Simple - but oh so Sweet! : http://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/21450/

Some may disagree with the above in lieu of what you were originally planning. Hopefully they'll add to this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
HOLY ACRONYMS, BATMAN!
images

Where Did You Find That Pic?

Or you can do yours like mine...

HTH... Oh... almost forgot... you will want to do a HRM and a SRM and a WSWRM along with a Stereo RM at some later date. Details after you care for the BBBWM.

And I thought the Extra Lighter Socket, Fan Over-ride and Driving Light wiring on my old Beater was a Mess.

I can't remember Tom... but it was a KEEPER!

BTW... my BWM, HRM and SRM mods were done IONS ago and one at a time over many years. Truthfully, they don't look too much different than that foto!

If I were to start fresh, I'd pick up about 6 "ganged" relays and a hobby box and mount them all in one location in the front where I could easily access them... and then run the wiring where it needed to go.

BBBWM finished ....sort of

So I did the BBBWM and everything seems better I have not acquired a thicker ground (yet guy at the store looked at me funny.were do you suggest I pick one up? Like the one in the pic ) I suspect the tranny cable may be an issue because when I would jiggle the stick in the past that seemed to help make a better connection and the car would start.

I do have a question about the battery/ alternator gauge when I start the car it takes 20 seconds before it will go above zero and when I turn on lights It sound like the alternator is working harder and the gauge drops
Is that normal Im not sure I have not driven this in so long. Trying to get it presentable for FFO 2015 since its in my back yard this year. Thanks every one for you help

The ground cable in the pic

Was to illustrate how the factory ground wire is smaller than the battery + cable. This is not what you want.
Replace it with a 4Ga battery ground cable. (heavier wire)

As Bob says... like the one illustrated here...

But maybe a little longer. Get TWO... replace the strap below if needed between the trans and chassis... and add the other one up top between the cam cover or dog-bone mount and the firewall. This one up top will generally stay clean and dry and give you a second chance at insuring a good ground path for $5 bucks!

m-fuse2relay_800x600.jpg

As for the DIP in the Voltmeter... yeah... ya gotta rev the engine a bit to 'excite' the alternator to get it to START charging... and the heavy draw from the headlights really taxes it also.

Two things... (maybe more...)

1. Get a voltmeter and STATE the actual voltages to the TENTH when writing... and then we can really help.

2. Test Battery voltage at the BATTERY with engine off =/> 12.6 volts.

3. Test Battery voltage at the BATTERY with the engine idling =/> 13.8 volts

4. Test Alternator output voltage between the BIG LUG and the engine BLOCK, and compare it to the BIG LUG to the CHASSIS. It should be EQUAL.

Post findings here.

In any case... you will need to do the Headlight Relay Mod (HRM) next and that will give you ADEQUATE lighting with less STRAIN on the alternator. After you upgrade the Ground straps we can get into that mod more... or you can search for your self here or on ebay.

I'm NOT conducting a contest, but you are indeed a...

winner...

I also mentioned a Stereo Relay Mod... but need to modify that (SRM) so as not to confuse it with the Starter Relay Mod (SRM).

Any ideas? Its worth a buck to me!

THIS IS A KEEPER... Everybody DOWNLOAD this PDF...

so we can just send it to others when they ask!

Thanks Bob... and thanks for HIDING it from us all these years so we haveta write volumes trying to explain it to others... What a guy!!!

HA! (hope you are well...)

Back