Fuse Panel Distribution Point - BBBWM

JBStories

Daily Driver
In addition to my project to improve cold start I'm trying to get the Brown Wire Mod installed (the Bob Brown version). If I haven't said it enough - thank you to the experts on this forum for giving your time and expertise to help us newbies!

I like the simplicity of the Bob Brown version (this thread) but my 1981 X doesn't have the same sort of fuse panel distribution as shown in his document. Instead, I have a simple plastic junction connector (below). There is no open place to add a second wire and this car has never had another electrical mod. I'm thinking I need to basically buy and install a new bus bar in place of this entire thing. Thoughts?

k24Z5U.jpg

Jason Ferguson (JBStories)
1981 X1/9 1500 (FI with A/C)
Atlanta, Georgia

I am using a junction box like this... http://www.polevolt.co.uk/acatalog/info_PJ1.html

You may be able to find room for it on the fuse tray as per the photo below. The junction box in the photo below is the same overall size and fixing method as the one linked to above. In fact I'm going to fit a new one from PoleVolt as I can't find the lid to this (ex Fiat) one. The junction box has a tab that fits into a slot cut in the tray and then it is secured by an M6 bolt.

Instead, I have a simple plastic junction connector (below). There is no open place to add a second wire and this car has never had another electrical mod.

That plastic four-way connector is standard on the earlier cars. You can easily add another wire in either of two ways:
- No-cut: crimp a male connector onto one end of a 3" pigtail of wire, crimp the other end and the end of the wire you're adding onto a female connector. The new female connector goes into that plastic connector, the wire it displaces goes onto the male connector on the pigtail.
- One-cut but very close to completely reversible: take one wire out of that plastic connector, cut off the crimped-on female connector, crimp the end and your new wire onto a new female connector. If you want to go back to the stock wiring for any reason, just cut your new wire right at the new crimp connector.

I've done both, have a modest preference for the first.

Thanks for the advice... I bought a small bus bar and had thought of installing this although it means cutting and crimping new ring terminals on all wires in the connector. I'll try the pigtail first as this is a lot less involved and I don't have to worry about where to mount the bus.

0b848bd655ad10fb2b40c245dafe6826.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Back