Cold air intake

Well done. I can't quite tell if the top reading says 11.9 or 17.9 (C), but you stated a 7 to 17 degree drop across the IC. For us I believe that would be about a 45 to 63 degree (F) difference. If your ambient temp is 16 C (61 F), and your charge temp at the IC inlet is 18 C (64 F), that would mean you are getting IC outlet temps below ambient? I think I'm missing something because that isn't possible without adding an external coolant like spraying nitrous onto the IC. Regardless it sounds like you are getting the charge temp close to ambient which is a good goal.

Also I did not realize you already have a fan on the IC. Is it controlled with a temp sensor or manually? I have not decided how to control the fan that will be on mine. The ambient temps here are over 100 F (38 C) a great portion of the year, so I might just connect it to run whenever the engine is running. That could help to avoid heat sink before it creeps up.
Thanks for sharing your results.
The picture was just for the setup. It shows the current outside temperature. It was more then 6 ours ago I drove it.

Yes there is a fan on the IC controlled with a temp sensor. I can set the temp myself when the fan should switch on.

I just mentioned the drop in temperature. Don’t be fooled by the readings in the picture. Because the sensors are not on the inside of the pipes but on the outside, the readings itself are not very accurate. But the temp difference is. I recall that the reading were 52 down to 45 degrees. Did not use the turbo very much today. Wife was sitting next to me

Nice, yes - even Aliexpress gauges will be sufficient to monitor. I would go into the air though, as this is the instantaneous measurement of the air temps - not the after effects of heat soak (of the tubes) - plus the tubes insulate the temperature to a certain degree, assuming silicone and plastic tanks of the intercooler. Also, since the probe is in free air, a lot of what you're measuring is ambient temps as well, not intercooler performance.

Your delta should be massive when under boost. The intercooler gets hot when under boost, the air passing through it cools it down for the next boost event (not really during boost as air is passing through the cooler very quickly).

I'm no expert, but I HIGHLY recommend reading Maximum Boost by Corky Bell. It's a great book. After all, we want more power!!! :)

Here's a quick video just to show how quickly the boost temp gets on the inlet side. It's rapid, and this guy is using a water to air - this is in C, we're talking over 100 degrees C almost instantaneously! He has a 70C delta between inlet and outlet. That's not bad! :)

gauge on the left is inlet temp in C, and the right display is outlet temp in C.

I like the extra power of the uno turbo, but i am not pushing it to the limits. My main goal is to keep it cool under the hood. The cooler the intake air, the better. I wanted to be sure the IC does do some cooling. The sensors are both on the outside of the pipes with some isolation covered. It measures a temperature drop. That is what i want to know.

I am learning about turbo stuff as I slowly progress through my project. But I feel like we have hi-jacked Mike's thread here. So I'll start a new thread on "turbos and intercoolers" and reference it.

No worries. I’ll follow the turbo thread as well. Would love to learn more about the uno turbo conversions..
Thanks! I do think that some my setup would benefit from a heat shield of sorts. What’s a good material? Stainless? Steel? Aluminum? Mxgrds’s setup looks really well thought through..

I've used that stuff for a number of applications and I'm amazed at how well it insulates the heat from whatever its applied to. It is thin, pliable and can be cut with regular scissors so it's easy to work with. The shiny side faces the heat source, so apply it to the 'outside' of your shield. The self adhesive feature seems to work well for me, but others have said it did not stay in more extreme locations. Do a good preparation before applying. If it starts to peel then consider adding some fastening strips around the edges. Shop around for a better price, its available from lots of sources.

If I was making a heat shield for the exhaust manifold I would prefer to use stainless steel for its durability with the higher levels of heat. For a air-filter shield I'd likely use aluminum or fairly thin sheet metal (plain steel), for the ease of working with it.

Ok, finally done the fab and install for my “cold air intake”. At first I was going to fabricate a full box shield for the filter but due to space I was somewhat limited so I opted for a more simple design. Also, I didn’t want to monopolize all the air coming into the engine bay from the side scoop as I’m sure the whole bay benefits from the air flow. Anyway, here’s a few pictures.

Attachments

• 1E27449D-85EE-47A2-8B83-5EC09DBA8901.jpeg
    1E27449D-85EE-47A2-8B83-5EC09DBA8901.jpeg
    199.8 KB · Views: 165
  • 03D0CE5C-BCBF-44E1-9BA1-A7D64AF1EDD3.jpeg
    03D0CE5C-BCBF-44E1-9BA1-A7D64AF1EDD3.jpeg
    173.3 KB · Views: 163
  • A3D251BD-ECB0-49AF-80CE-65345ADDA027.jpeg
    A3D251BD-ECB0-49AF-80CE-65345ADDA027.jpeg
    228.7 KB · Views: 152
  • C29A0142-8FE6-4F60-8AF5-A41BB4AD394B.jpeg
    C29A0142-8FE6-4F60-8AF5-A41BB4AD394B.jpeg
    273.4 KB · Views: 146
  • 1406B453-ABB4-480A-8C4E-04F6D23FC03F.jpeg
    1406B453-ABB4-480A-8C4E-04F6D23FC03F.jpeg
    182.3 KB · Views: 167
  • B2C6861F-C2AD-4F23-BD4B-88661385BAF7.jpeg
    B2C6861F-C2AD-4F23-BD4B-88661385BAF7.jpeg
    177.4 KB · Views: 168
Thanks! The exhaust note is much better and has a bit of a growl to it. I think it’s improved throttle response as well. As far as power....well.....
Now to address the spring supported exhaust. I’m not a big fan. It sounds very rattly.

Ya, the intake can offer a great sound to complement the exhaust note.

I don't recall what exhaust you have, but the stock one is prone to rattling a lot. The brackets that bolt to the body and hold the springs for the exhaust tend to rot and get loose. Plus the mounts for the other ends of the springs on the exhaust side rust away. So everything gets loose and rattles.

Just look to see what seems best to provide a adequate support while still allowing the movement needed. The exhaust needs to be able to vibrate with the movements of the engine, so some "give" is needed on the mounts (that's what the springs do).

Very nice work. Even insulation.

My 85 has a set of very rattly springs, quite annoying. Yet another thing to fiddle with. I did pick up a set of the stainless mounting brackets for it so I will see if that cures the problem.

That’s good to know that the rattling is a common thing. Thanks for the advice guys.
Eventually I’d like to put a stainless performance muffler on. I had a 96 Jetta years ago that I put a magnaflow muffler on and was quite happy with the sound...

Take a look at where both ends of each spring attaches. You will likely see where the 'slack' is coming from. Depending on what is missing, worn, loose, rusted, bent, broken, or whatever will determine the best way to eliminate the rattle.

Hopefully your car is in better shape than one of mine. The rear wells on either side of the trunk are so far rotted away that the hangers for those exhaust springs had nothing to attach to. So ya, lots of rattles.

Karl, I'm guessing the vacay isn't all inspiring if you are still spending time online with us?

I had just completed a 14 hour drive and was decompressing. MI to VT in one go. I beat the Google by half an hour.

Nice job driving. Hope the trip is tons of fun, enjoy. Oh, and glad to know we are the ones you turn to in such times. ;)

In this setup the air drawn in from the under the gas intake ...
View attachment 12232 View attachment 12231
My setup takes cooler air from outside the car, but also limits the intake air capacity. I didn’t realise who much air the turbo needs. Lately I was looking for the reason my turbo pressure dropped. This was the reason. I removed the hose and take the extra heat from the engine. Back to the drawing board.

Back