Rusted Out 1970 850 Spider Fix-Up

Well, I am here to apologize for the lack of progress over the last few days. Excessive heat and me being under the weather have slowed down progress.

However, things are looking up. New tires will be here Monday, and hopefully the brake parts will be here shortly after. If and when the brakes are up and the wheels are on, out comes the engine and tranny for the fuel tank cleaning. Still waiting on the Ignition lock.

I did drill out and replace the broken bolt on the back panel, and since I want to experiment, I primed it up, and am going to try painting it.
IMG_1111.JPG

With this I bought today! Just the inside of the panel for now. I am going to finish the rest of the bodywork after I get it installed. I need to pull some dents, and that is hard to do on sawhorses.
IMG_1112.JPG

I think if I thin it down right, the results might be passable. We shall see tomorrow!

Before using that fancy new paint gun, you might want to fire up the welder & address these 2 cracks:

View attachment 24050
Well...I kinda got ahead of myself and put paint on before I investigated these cracks. It appears they were caused by the bottom getting twisted. Should be no biggie.

Here is what it looked like after I sprayed it with two coats. Actually not that bad. Couple of runs where I underestimated its POWER! I like the color match.

IMG_1114.JPG
[

Twiddling my thumbs, waiting on parts, BUT I did get these done today. Sweet!
IMG_1115.JPG

Even on this junky old car, these wheels are gonna look nice. I needed this motivation. Oh, and gotta love getting 4 tires for less than most people pay for one!
IMG_1116.JPG

Ok, so all the fluid leaked out of the front reservoir last night. Tried clamping it down tighter..no dice. New hose in place and so far so good. No leaks yet, and the re-bled brakes feel good. Tomorrow morning will tell!

Well, it is already 92 out there, headed to 102, so I got done what I could before I melted. I had forgotten that the front of the tunnel where the clutch pivot linkage is was rusted out, so I banged together a piece to cover that area.
IMG_1147.JPG

That will keep everything safe. I am fastening the tunnel pieces with screws so I can get in there if I have to.

The brakes appear to have stopped leaking, so on the wheels go! Vroom vroom! After looking at this hulk for 6 months of whatever, this looks so much better! I am going to disconnect the rest of the tranny bits except the mounts, roll the car backwards, clean up the extra fiat on the ground, and get the engine and tranny out. Maybe this weekend. So exciting!
IMG_1148.JPG

A red-letter day! The car is down on all 4 feet on inflated tires for the first time since the early 80s! I also undid all the transaxle stuff except the mounts. Engine out is not that far away. As far as I am concerned, phase one of this project is complete! Thanks for sticking with me so far!

IMG_1149.JPG
IMG_1150.JPG
IMG_1151.JPG

Two major developments today. First, new ignition lock and key are here!

IMG_1177.JPG

Second, engine and tranny are out! Not too bad a job. Gas tank next!
IMG_1178.JPG

Sorry about the delay in posts. Had a funeral out of town. I am sure y'all missed me dearly. ;)

Well, the tank is out. Thanks Jeff, getting the shock off made all the difference. And this tank is a disaster. Rusted out on both sides, and it is full of crap. Plus, I had to clip those goofy clear lines to get it out of there. Let's take a look at the sending unit...I am not encouraged.

IMG_1184.JPG

Well, crap. I bet I can fix it though!
IMG_1186.JPG

I think I will fiberglass the tank, then seal it all up with that slosh around tank sealer. That will keep the gas away from the fiberglass. Time to start cleaning!

Well, as the several-day-gas-tank-sloshing-chemicals-around-to-clean-it-out continues, I decided to get these holes patched up in the engine compartment. Should be pretty easy. Then it decided to start raining, for the first time in forever. Oh well, do 'em tomorrow.
IMG_1191.JPG
IMG_1192.JPG

Btw...bonus unpleasantness. These thorned brambles were all over the gas tank. This car must have been buried in a bush at one point.

IMG_1189.JPG

Ok, so here is the damage to the fuel tank. Looks like water ran down the inlet opening and caused the rust. Fortunately, it is fairly localized. I need to get these holes sealed so that I can pour in a strong cleaner to finish the job. Most of the gunk came out yesterday.
IMG_1195.JPG
IMG_1196.JPG

Fiberglassed up and baking in the sun.
IMG_1197.JPG

This was a surprise. Left side rear panel mount.
IMG_1198.JPG

Right side rear panel mount. See anything missing? So many rusty surprises!
IMG_1199.JPG

And here are those holes patched and sealed.
IMG_1200.JPG

Kinda got a little smeary on this one.
IMG_1201.JPG

And here is my patch for that back panel bolt hole. I will drill it out before I remount the panel. I kinda sorta wiped my fingers off here too. ;)
IMG_1202.JPG

Not bad progress for a Saturday morning. Next is to try and fix that rusted out sending unit!

Back