Best oil filter for a 87 fiat bertone?

I have a Mann W-917 and a Bosch 3402 on hand; the Bosch is taller by about 10mm, Mann diameter very slightly larger.
IMG_2189.JPG

The basic mounting dimensions for the Fiat filter is the same as for MANY models of VW's, Volvo's, and several other cars. Therefore there's a plethora of options that will fit the engine - in every imaginable diameter, length, feature, quality, price, etc. That doesn't necessarily mean they are all identical in every aspect so do your due diligence to make sure what you're getting is good for this application. But just be aware there are options available for every possible desire, readily found at almost every source. No need to pay a lot more just because it goes on a Italian car. ;)

FYI Wix makes the NAPA filters so there is a place in every town that sells a good filter.

No need to ever put a Fram filter in an X
I would pass on a Fram filter today as there are better alternatives but back in the 70s if you went to an auto parts store and asked for an X oil filter, chances are you would get a Fram PH7. I was wondering if filters that size are available today as there should be much more room for filter media inside.

I would pass on a Fram filter today as there are better alternatives but back in the 70s if you went to an auto parts store and asked for an X oil filter, chances are you would get a Fram PH7. I was wondering if filters that size are available today as there should be much more room for filter media inside.

Size really doesn't affect media volume on FRAM filters.

I have used Wix filters for many years on most of my vehicles. Way back in the day I used FRAM PH7s because that's what was easy to get. I didn't know anything about filters then.

Interestingly enough, for break-in on a fresh engine for my MR2 racecar, I bought the cheapest filter I could find because It would only run for about an hour just to warm up the motor and seat the rings, then get removed and cut open to inspect for bearing debris. I bought a Supertech at Walmart and when I cut it open it was very similar to the Wix filter I regularly used. I have used Supertech on my street cars ever since.

Interesting too that the MR2 filter, like most Toyota filters, is tiny compared to the X filter and most any of the US autos I have experience with. I the Toyota brand, Wix and Supertech all have a considerable amount of filter media despite the small package size. Its just packed tighter.

Regarding VW application filters for the X1/9, I'd forgotten about this one:

Back