What did you do to your X1/9 today ?

Even if I'm not a fan of brown, I like the gold accents on yours. Are they paint or decals? I'm assuming decals because painted ones tend to polish off when buffing the whole surface. I once spent an entire day hand compounding all of the painted pinstripes off of a BMW after buffing the paint had ruined a lot of it. :confused:
Those are decals…I think they were dealer applied with all the other “dealer profit” items on this car.

Buffed out the original paint. Couldn’t save the paint on the frunk so went with matte black to match the roof and engine cover. View attachment 54895
I like it - borrowing from the Lancia Fulvia look….

1DD44581-6557-4CF8-9A8B-CFEAB611C71F.jpeg

Pretty excited.. Connected my oil pressure gauge today, thanks EricH. When I'm warmed up I'm getting a steady 55 on oil pressure, at about 3000 rpm. This is off the T fitting on the block, hooray. Oil sensor light also works. Until now I did not want to idle for more than a minute or two since I could not verify pressure. Fairly relieved.

Today I bought a new project, a 1974 Fiat 128 Sport Coupé. Overall not very very rotten, but noticed some bondo on doors and panels so I am prepared for welding. The engine is running well, but knocking a little bit between idle-3500 rpm. Above 3500 rpm the noise disappears completely. I couldn't locate exactly where the knock came from, but an engine teardown will probably tell. Drove it from Skåne, south of Sweden back home, 350 km (217 mi), but didn't go faster than 60 mph due to the engine knock that worried me. I will certainly put a 5 speed in this car to reduce engine speed (4500 rpm @ 60 mi/h !!!). Maybe I even put my spare 1.5l in it...
The plan is to fully restore it with some modifications.
1636920253132.jpeg

Show us pictures when you get it installed and the lights are on.
Finally got around to taking a picture of the updated panel with aluminum tape on the inside.

1637039046501.png

The camera definitely adds a little more brightness for the exposure, but this is pretty close to the result. The battery charge gauge is way brighter, as is the fuel gauge. The Tach and speedo I would say are perhaps 30% brighter. Overall not a huge gain, but it's enough of a gain to make the effort worth it IMO. Looks even better with arrow-straight needles too!!

Finally got around to taking a picture of the updated panel with aluminum tape on the inside.

View attachment 54973

The camera definitely adds a little more brightness for the exposure, but this is pretty close to the result. The battery charge gauge is way brighter, as is the fuel gauge. The Tach and speedo I would say are perhaps 30% brighter. Overall not a huge gain, but it's enough of a gain to make the effort worth it IMO. Looks even better with arrow-straight needles too!!
That looks great, I'll be doing my my needle over the winter and this upgrade is now on my schedule.

Got my tachometer working. It still hangs after about 3000 but up until then it doesn't bounce and seems fairly accurate. Woo.

Removed cat and made pipe to replace , cleaned up some under car , noticed that heater valve is now leaking , ordered one today , list is getting smaller !!

Attachments

• 01989519-A765-4558-A9F5-1E2C46AA74FB.jpeg
    01989519-A765-4558-A9F5-1E2C46AA74FB.jpeg
    220.4 KB · Views: 101
  • ACE8CE8A-E282-4E86-BFBC-BF90F8EDEFFE.jpeg
    ACE8CE8A-E282-4E86-BFBC-BF90F8EDEFFE.jpeg
    203.9 KB · Views: 89
Those are decals…I think they were dealer applied with all the other “dealer profit” items on this car.
You might want to change the flat black to a semi gloss black, it is much easier to maintain and will still look right. The Lancia image is an example of this.

You might want to change the flat black to a semi gloss black, it is much easier to maintain and will still look right. The Lancia image is an example of this.
That’s not flat black. It’s Krylon semi flat black. It’s really a matte black. Semi gloss can be too glossy sometimes depending on the brand.

Still working to get it on the road after 6 years in storage and another 6 years in a carport managing a hurricane etc. it's getting cool in the Cayman Islands now and comfy to work on the car during the day and evening. in summertimes its too hot and your swet is dropping in to everything you are touching

Attachments

• FRONTB.JPG
    FRONTB.JPG
    114.6 KB · Views: 94
Replaced the rusty door jamb switches, so now I have a dome light and and the key warning buzzer. First time the key buzzer sounded I jumped. I think I will leave that one disconnected. :/

Replaced the rusty door jamb switches, so now I have a dome light and and the key warning buzzer. First time the key buzzer sounded I jumped. I think I will leave that one disconnected. :/
The buzzer was the first thing I disconnected when the car was new.

Back