Types of X1/9 owners

KBabcock

True Classic
So with my car in hibernation for the winter I have more time to pounder other matters of X1/9 ownership. I've been on the board long enough to have identified 4 main types of X1/9 owners.

1) The Butterfly Collectors: They buy perfect X1/9 to collect them and don't really put any miles on them. You don't see many or any of them on this board. I could never be one of these but can appreciate their preservation.

2) The Traditionalist: These are owners who like to keep the X1/9 in the same condition as when new, they like the cars the way they looked in the 70s but believe they are to be driven and enjoyed. A very noble and honorable group here.

3) The modders: These are people who modify there X1/9s to the way they want them, changing colors and wheel type is OK here. Modifications can be few and simple or whole new power trans and they love to drive their Xs. I fall into this category myself.

4) The track rats: We all know them they love to race these cars and bring out all they can be. They often also own street versions of the car as well. Love to watch a X race.

So this is how I see the owners, what are your thoughts here. I thought it would be a fun thread for the end of the week.

Definitely a 3. I haven’t owned mine for long but love to drive it and I already have some changes in mind. I think cars should be driven. I like that the x is a great drivers car and not so special that they can’t be driven and modified a bit. My opinion may be shaped a bit by my budget.

There is a 5th group, the Lost Causes. These are owners who parked their Xs about ten years for various reasons such as overheated or won't start. These cars immediately start to fall into neglect. The owners are not members here and the only way we find out about them is obscure FB ads showing sad cars covered in leaves with a picture of "extra parts" that come with the car, being old spark plugs and brand new ten year old timing belt. They either sell for a pittance but are too far away from everyone or some stupid high price because a friend said they are now worth a fortune.

Personally I'm a 3 but my Xs are bought from 5s.

There is a 5th group, the Lost Causes. These are owners who parked their Xs about ten years for various reasons such as overheated or won't start. These cars immediately start to fall into neglect. The owners are not members here and the only way we find out about them is obscure FB ads showing sad cars covered in leaves with a picture of "extra parts" that come with the car, being old spark plugs and brand new ten year old timing belt. They either sell for a pittance but are too far away from everyone or some stupid high price because a friend said they are now worth a fortune.

Personally I'm a 3 but my Xs are bought from 5s.
I hadn't thought of this one nice adition..

Categories 2, 3 and 5 relate to my current situation. I have probably been in every category but #1 with the nine X1/9s I have owned over the years. Recently sold my raceX without ever getting the chance to drive it, so 4 went out the window with the car. :( Hmmm, I autocrossed the 85 until I got it repainted a few years ago. Maybe that counts for 4?

I'm with Dan - sort of a 2*. I like the way a stock X looks but am unafraid of subtle performance boosts. Sway bars, better brakes, bigger carb(s), etc. They're great as they came from the factory, though. Right now, I'm just trying to make it reliable and smooth. Getting there!

I've been a 3 since I bought my first new X in 1975. I immediately bought wheels for it. I've been exploiting the cars potential ever since.

So with my car in hibernation for the winter I have more time to pounder other matters of X1/9 ownership. I've been on the board long enough to have identified 4 main types of X1/9 owners.

1) The Butterfly Collectors: They buy perfect X1/9 to collect them and don't really put any miles on them. You don't see many or any of them on this board. I could never be one of these but can appreciate their preservation.

2) The Traditionalist: These are owners who like to keep the X1/9 in the same condition as when new, they like the cars the way they looked in the 70s but believe they are to be driven and enjoyed. A very noble and honorable group here.

3) The modders: These are people who modify there X1/9s to the way they want them, changing colors and wheel type is OK here. Modifications can be few and simple or whole new power trans and they love to drive their Xs. I fall into this category myself.

4) The track rats: We all know them they love to race these cars and bring out all they can be. They often also own street versions of the car as well. Love to watch a X race.

So this is how I see the owners, what are your thoughts here. I thought it would be a fun thread for the end of the week.
You might also enjoy this older thread on the subject:

I'm a 3, within reason. Don't mind performance mods but have no desire to re-design the car or swap out to a non-fiat powertrain

I am a 2, with a few tasteful mods like wheels and tires. I spend a fair amount of time maintaining my X whom I've named Natalie, but the real joy is driving her. I drive the car as often as possible, but never in bad weather.

I am certainly a 2 and 3. Although, almost all of my mods are not visible not until one opens the engine bay lid.

My original aim was to build this, it was what inspired me but after I got my 85 and it was in such good shape I just couldn't cut up the fenders so I am going a little more mild......a little more.
1642193646353.png

My original aim was to build this, it was what inspired me but after I got my 85 and it was in such good shape I just couldn't cut up the fenders so I am going a little more mild......a little more.
View attachment 57068
I initially considered building a replica of that as well. But I decided to go my own direction like I always do on every car I get my hands on.

Definitely a number 2 again with that asterisk of driving it daily but maintaining it stockish with non-intrusive upgrades. Such a challenge and so satisfying. Every day is show day and fun day. I think the number 3s keep this forum busy though. However I visit the forum to hear from folks struggling with number 2 category questions and experiences.

Back