What flavor of X1/9 enthusiast are you?

Dr.Jeff

True Classic
Lately we have seen some of the classic car debates reappear; oils, plugs, filters, etc, etc. Reading some of the responses got me thinking, our membership has at least three camps - original stock X1/9, performance modified X1/9, and custom stylized X1/9. Those may require further definition, and there is bound to be overlap...especially between the last two. Furthermore I think many of us actually live in more than one of those groups at different times or with different X's. And there may be other categories to consider. So I thought I'd simply post the question as a matter of general interest; how do you mostly define yourself in this regard?

I want to be very clear though, this is NOT about which is better, or more correct, or about any other comparison between them. It is simply a question of opinion, so PLEASE do not bash the opinions of others or the virtues of each category. Let's be polite and respectful to one another and their cars.

I'm not one for those "poles" on forums, but that might be one way to ask this. For now a open discussion might be fun.

I can start things off by saying I am a total hack with all of my cars. I like to tweak and modify them heavily; mainly for 'style' first, performance second. I will sacrifice some function for the sake of getting the right 'look'. But I also like performance.

Style #1, performance #2, depending on where my budget leads me. If I have LOTS of cash, performance takes the lead.

When I see stock cars, I see unmet potential.

I tend to follow the "form follow function" philosophy. But I admit the change for DCOE carbs or the install of the Faza snorkel are more related to a "look".

I would keep stock an expensive valuable car. The X1/9, until recently, wasn't gaining much value, so there was a time where correctly modified x19 worth more than the stock ones. Now the table is turning.

I would like to have both. A well mod car and a stock one. In fact, that's what I got. One that is a street modified car and the other completely stock.

If I had the money to buy the sand/beige museum quality 1974, I would keep it stock, but i would need something else to play and to race.

I appreciate a nicely restored car and have an admiration for the person with the patience to spend the time and money on their project.
I am not that type.
I like to personalize my cars which makes me a bit cavalier about warranties and resale values.

I have gone from stock to complete race in my 30+ years of X ownership. I would say I fall into the modified to my taste category.

My '84 was very stock and a nice, fun drive. My '74 was very modified, loud, and a blast in small doses. The '75 is still in progress and will probably be a blend of both.

My first X was stock except for a set of 14" wheels.

My second X was a full on rally car.

My third and current X is performance first, style second.

I'd love a fully stock Lido! :D

there was a time where correctly modified x19 worth more than the stock ones. Now the table is turning.
That seems to be a general trend in the classic car market lately. But I have a feeling the X won't completely turn the tables in that regard. At least not unless it somehow becomes a highly desired collectible, of significant market interest. I sort of doubt that will happen, but you never know - there are some cars that I always considered extremely ugly and complete junk that are now gaining interest in certain automotive circles. I think a lot of the current pricing is more a reflection of general price increases in the whole vintage car market.

Driver. I like to think my cars a close to stock, but made better for me to drive. Better rims and tires, comfortable seats, middle arm rest, better sun visors, better brakes, better struts, and other small changes most people will not notice.

Cheap and sassy. The rat was $600, the fat rat was $400. At that price point you can do whatever you want without fear of killing the value. Not interested in stock Fiats although my impending spider project may be fairly close to stock when I'm done. The Xs for me are like a box of Legos, I like to play with them and try different mods but nothing serious like engine swaps. They ae simple cars and if you chuck the AC and FI you have a nice steam train technology level!

Oddly enough my GTI is 100% stock and I have no desire to change anything on it.

I'm mostly #1 with a little bit of #2. I'm interested in cars that are already quite unique in their stock form, like the X1/9 or the MR2. As such I don't really feel a need to modify them beyond stock just for the sake of trying to be different or stand out. They're already different and they already stand out in the sea of crossover SUV's.

However, I have no problem doing modifications that correct design deficiencies (real or perceived :p), such as the brown wire and relay mods, or swapping to an aluminum radiator, or fitting a higher performance cam and freer flowing exhaust to give the X the extra 12+hp it desparately needs in stock form.

While I generally don't have interest in visual mods (because I already consider the cars unique), I make exceptions for factory offered parts if they're appealing to my eye. For example, my opinion is that the MKII MR2s are transformed from looking slightly homely to looking like a refined exotic sports car with Gen 2 wheels + lugnuts, Gen 2+ Front lip, turbo engine lid, turbo rear strut brace, turbo center storage console, Gen 2+ tweeter covers, mudflaps, Gen 1 tail lights, Gen 1 spoiler, and Gen 2 springs. I've done all of these modifications to my MR2, but all are parts that were offered as stock or optioned configurations at some point from Toyota.

With the X1/9, I'm largely in the same boat as the MR2 when it comes to visual mods. There's very little that I have interest in doing that would stray away from a factory offered configuration. The farthest "out there" thing I've done (and probably will do) would be the quad tip Forza exhaust exiting out through the rear grill. However, that exhaust serves a triple purpose; increased performance which helps correct a (perceived) design deficiency, and it provides a sound and look that excentuate the exotic core of the X1/9 by staying true to design queues featured in most other Bertone/Gandhini designs. That's why this exhaust was chosen over a fart cannon that would have provided a similar performance increase.

Then there's functional mods that don't correct a design deficieny, but are desireable for one reason or another. Again, I'll tend to do these if they were a factory offered option, such as cruise control, electric power steering, ABS, a limited-slip-diff, and traction control for the MR2. The X1/9 is already pretty optioned out so there's not much to do there for me.

TLDR: I appreciate cars like the X1/9 in stock form because they are already unique. However I like doing mods to either correct design deficiencies or if the mods use factory optioned parts.

I think my is in same category as Carl’s -cheap,sassy lego. Just with a little bit different taste.
1.performance
2.wheels
3.all other follows first and second point
99B25519-7ECE-41E6-8EC6-4D9E081F8E9E.jpeg

I think my category would be mostly stock appearance with mild performance mods. Unless I win the lottery, then my X will be a K20 engined, Dallara bodied custom.

Wasn't a thread very similar to this posted several months ago?.... I think it too was started by Dr. Jeff ?

Did I have a time slip again :confused:

Wasn't a thread very similar to this posted several months ago?.... I think it too was started by Dr. Jeff ?

Did I have a time slip again :confused:
You are probably right. DrJeff will start conversations on a regular basis, just to provide him excuses for NOT going working on his X19 in the garage.
And since you are the only one who noticed, maybe it's related to the fact owners tend to became older and older and...
What was I saying?:oops:

Last edited by a moderator:
The prior thread by me was about "modified" X1/9's only; and more specifically what mods can be done to the X. This is about seeing what proportion of members fall into which group of outlook; stock, performance, or modified. Lots of interesting replies!

Yea, but we are all being very polite and not asking you what you have done on your X!
I can start things off by saying I am a total hack with all of my cars. I like to tweak and modify them heavily; mainly for 'style' first, performance second. I will sacrifice some function for the sake of getting the right 'look'. But I also like performance.

I have been in the just drive the thing as it came from the factory, maintain it, improve what needs to be done to make it more reliable group with my cars.

I am moving towards having one X which is visually stock and having everything working with some mild performance upgrades to bring it to EU levels of performance (or hopefully a smidge better). My other X I am thinking is going to be something a good bit different in many ways, it just isn’t clear what that will mean.

From a visual standpoint, I most admire Stingray250’s car (less the rear wing for me), he really nailed the full on X look without changing the base character of the design. I just can’t love the widebody look.

Back