‘74 X1/9 - anyone want to guess what these are and if they’re stock or not?

tvmaster

True Classic
Looks like speaker wire from Radio Shack, circa 1970’s - with one lead being white-striped for + - identification, but are they stock, or aftermarket, seeing there are no factory speaker installed:

2EF30927-D0EB-4758-9A70-30E68A2AE81A.jpeg
D0A0DB2F-36BC-4BF4-B6F8-435704000063.jpeg

These appear not to be add-on wiring but do appear to be factory speaker wiring.

I'm not that familiar with 74's but the color codes and stripes cause me to think that they are. I'm assuming I'm looking at the rear shelf. The only other wiring near there would be for the window defroster... and would be just one pair.

Along those lines, many years ago I re-registered my car at the local DMV and the sweet young lady inputting my data turned and said... "BTW, do you know what the rear window defroster on a FIAT is for?"

I kinda stammered and said, "Well, its for defrosting the rear window like any other car."

And she says, "Yes, but its primary purpose is so you don't freeze your fingers while pushing the car..."

HAHA! Everyone has gotta get their digs in!

These appear not to be add-on wiring but do appear to be factory speaker wiring.

I'm not that familiar with 74's but the color codes and stripes cause me to think that they are. I'm assuming I'm looking at the rear shelf. The only other wiring near there would be for the window defroster... and would be just one pair.

Along those lines, many years ago I re-registered my car at the local DMV and the sweet young lady inputting my data turned and said... "BTW, do you know what the rear window defroster on a FIAT is for?"

I kinda stammered and said, "Well, its for defrosting the rear window like any other car."

And she says, "Yes, but its primary purpose is so you don't freeze your fingers while pushing the car..."

HAHA! Everyone has gotta get their digs in!
Geez - she must have been dating a GM rep. Yeah, this car didn't have the defroster option from factory - no button or striped rear glass. Guess I'll have to pull the Bertone plaque and see what's what.

Geez - she must have been dating a GM rep. Yeah, this car didn't have the defroster option from factory - no button or striped rear glass. Guess I'll have to pull the Bertone plaque and see what's what.

Yeah...

So I pulled both my '74 Euro and NA schematics and as others said... there was no rear window defroster or speaker wires... and nothing near or close to those color codes. Only wiring was the courtesy light.

If you want or need a copy of those schematics, I found I need to use BOTH in order to determine color codes and what attaches to what. I'm also not sure as to all the differences or if there are any, but there probably is.

Let me know and I'll post them.

Tony

You have to remember that back in 1974 when this car was new AM raudio (mono) was king, FM was just getting started and European cars that were not BMWs, MB or RR were not coming in with any radio of any kind. Radios were a dealer installed accessory (which persisted into the 80s with VWs and other companies).

That you have two sets of wires suggests a later addition as most would have had a dealer added AM radio with a single crappy speaker. FM was money back then, people had a FM converter if they had it at all.

I recall a mono AM/FM kit that dealers installed using the factory speaker location but that was followed shortly by stereo kits which led to holes in the door cards for the crappy speakers that came with them. I managed to buy my X in 8/74 before they got to put a radio in it. The guy I was renting the house with bought one the following month and could not find one without a stereo installed. To make matters worse, it had a chrome luggage rack on the back.

Ok, spent the day removing carpet, etc. and investigating. Definitely aftermarket wiring. One had been cut halfway and went nowhere. So, I ran new wire to each side while everything was apart. Man, is my interior worked over. I even found birdseed spread under the drivers side carpet. That was odd. Any guesses?
Even better was how the PO had mounted the front speakers. No wonder the wheel wells feel tight up front:

162D1AFD-B710-4A4A-AFB0-B09CEC06EA5E.jpeg
EE715C9E-6B01-4D91-BD34-352472F86646.jpeg

246B9CA7-2241-4701-9DFB-5D432FAB85B9.jpeg
AC2316CE-181C-4895-B393-CD2DFCBD6A8C.jpeg
1835EEB4-E405-4DBC-8F71-B0496BD862D2.jpeg

Back