$1,500 Bertone in Virginia

Haha, I love it! Its so tacking and grotty looking lol. Great wheels and steering wheel. Im not in the market though... hmm or am I?

either that thing has been drastically lowered or they REALLY cranked it down on the trailer (the latter is more likely)

That's why I asked if he had any performance mods...to which he responded he did not. Maybe I should have specified suspension mods too?
As I noted in my original post, the car location is somewhat local to me and I'm happy to check it out if anyone is interested.

Hey guys - I bought this car last week. I believe the shocks are aftermarket, but are original specification replacements. The car appears low because the tire side walls are oversized. It doesn't have any rubbing problems when turning but I haven't driven it extensively yet.

I have a ton of experience with MKII MR2's but this is my first X1/9.

The engine and transmission are strong - looks like it has been mechanically well maintained for the most part.

Here's the major stuff that was wrong with the car:

-Front Calipers are siezed on.
-Rear Calipers are siezed off.
-Fuel return line is leaking badly.
-Throttle cable needs to be replaced.
-Drivers window is missing
-Missing passenger's Mirror
-Missing rear bumper
-Missing Passenger front bumper flare
-Missing front air dam.
-Missing a few CV Joint Bolts
-Passenger Headlight won't retract.
-Frunk cable snapped
-Trunk lid needs adjusting
-Speedometer doesn't work.
-Most mouldings and weather stripping is shot
-Drivers door card is shot (Seats are in good shape though! Just dirty).

Overall lots of little things - most aren't too costly. I plan on having the majority of the above fixed and have it on the road in a month. (At the time of writing I've already addressed about half of these issues and have parts on order for the other half.)

There's a lot of rust on the car too - thankfully nothing structural. After I get the car functionally sorted and on the road, I'll take a month to fix the rust. It's going to be garaged from now on so what rust there is won't get worse until I can address it.

The car is very rough, but definitely not ready for the junk yard. Probably about a $1000+ investment and 2-3 months of work will turn this into a half decent (or better) X1/9.

Last edited:
Hey @aarpcard

I am in Arlington Va, are you nearby? There are a couple of us with X1/9s in the metro area...

I have not seen your car in person, but I have heard about it from a couple of people...

Ed

Hey @aarpcard

I am in Arlington Va, are you nearby? There are a couple of us with X1/9s in the metro area...

I have not seen your car in person, but I have heard about it from a couple of people...

Ed

Hey! I'm actually in North/Central New Jersey so it's kinda far but doable on occasion. Are there any X1/9 meetups in your area? What rumors have you heard about my car lol?
The more I dig into it the more I find - for example someone put a twig in the headlight to keep it oriented correctly lmao. I got it for a good price, but it's definitely a project.

Welcome to the group. Your X sounds a lot like the two I just got and am driving (wife is driving almost every day).

I hope you are enjoying the car. they are a lot of fun!!

don't forget the X web moto. Picture, or it did not happen.

::smiles::

Rod

@aarpcard

Yes, there are a bunch of Cars and Coffee in the area that Fiats participate in on a regular basis, but most importantly join dcfiats.org... A really great group of people and fun events.. They also have a good list of shops up and down the east coast as well as other club events..

Good deal! I just bought mine a few weeks ago and have many of the same problems -- seized rotors, fuel line leakage, etc.

Back