1.9 turbo stroker, looking for advices

Janis

True Classic
Punto 1.6 block 176A9000 bore 86.4.

Stylo crankshaft 182B6000 stroke 78.4 , As I understood it is straight fit.

Uno Turbo mk1 conrods 146A2000 ??lenghth??

Head from Punto 1.6 176A9000

Uno Turbo mk1 manifolds and turbo system with modified fuel rail

If You can point me to correct pistons-please.
Do I must enlarge bores to 87mm or can I keep 86.4mm? Engine theoretically has ~230 000km. Or do I need to understand that from shape of cylinders? Or again 1.6 pistons can be used if machined to lower cr, because UT conrods are shorter than Punto conrods?

Which from flywheels/clutchs/starter motors I should use ? UTmk1 / X19 1.5 / Punto 1.6

This car is meant for daily use. If I can get for cheap Stylo crank, than extra costs comparing to 1.6 turbo are low compression height piston cost minus lathe work on stock 1.6 pistons.

What happens with balancing crank weight to piston set? Is must have or should have?

Last edited:
So far I found info (mainly from Steve's Ultimate SOHC thread)
78.4-67.4=11mm difference
Punto conrod c-c is 128.5
With my superficially measurements with strip of paper and theorem of Pitagor, UT mk1 conrod lenghth 127.6mm, from what I believe it could also be 128.5mm.
Is then there reason why I should use UT conrods instead of Punto?

I can't find info about Punto pistons CH, but if conrods stay same length then piston CH should be X-11mm -Ymm to lower CR for turbo application, am I correct?
X=Punto pistons CH
Y=mm to lower CR

Steve has mentioned in his THREAD "AFAIK there are no factory OE pistons to suit these crank selections. Does not fall into what I would call "budget" in any sense of the word except for - blowing it!"

78.4 stilo/brava 16v crank is a straight fit, pistons from these models are no good for the 1900 build as they are 80 / 80.5 mm bore engines.

Uno Turbo / punto / tipo....well pretty much everything uses a conrod that is 128.25 / 128.5 mm in C to C length as the block deck heights of all these engines is the same (within production tolerances) this rod is too long to use in a 78.4 stroke build with any off the shelf Fiat pistons.

All the 1900 builds I've seen have used bespoke custom forged pistons and conrods I'm guessing / other people have found that there isn't anything in the Fiat parts bin that is suitable, rod length isn't the only issue, oil gallery clearance to the rod big end / bolt heads is another factor to consider.

Compression height of the standard 86.4 bore size punto / tipo engine is 33.3mm, which sits the piston approx 0.2mm below deck (+- production tolerance) so the CH to zero deck is about 33.5mm

Half the increase in stroke length is the amount needed to be removed from the piston CH, so 5.50mm, which gives a piston CH of 28.00, a small area to squeeze a ring pack into, but several piston manufacturers make a forged piston with this CH for this application.

Wossner pistons are advertised on ebay for this application.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Fiat-Pu...-Forged-Piston-Stroker-Kit-K9408/141831364286

SteveC

Last edited:
Most likely will begin with 1.6turbo if magic won't happen.

How important is to assemble engine in 18°to 20°C? If I will do that -15° to 0°C, will it affect torque reading much or can make some other issues to engine?

How important is to assemble engine in 18°to 20°C? If I will do that -15° to 0°C, will it affect torque reading much or can make some other issues to engine?

Temperature will affect torque readings and clearance measurements... standard temp is 20 degrees C...take the engine into the house after it's cleaned.

(-15C Man that is f****ng cold!)

SteveC

For the 1900, you need special pistons.
IAPEL from Argentinia have mostly been used. They sell some for turbo and some for NA use.
For rods, use aftermarket rods in stock 128.5mm length. These are narrower. With these, you still have to clearance the block a little.

GTturbo suggested to use mk1 UT conrods. If non stock fiat conrods are needed for 1.9 stroker, then definitely will delay this stroker plan for atleast half a year or year.

I had a little hope that from what I have already and could find for cheap locally, could make that 1.9turbo stroker.

Thanks, anyhow got advices for turbocharging 1.6 and more comprehension about engines.

(In middle of January it usually is about -40C for a two weeks, anyway after -15 I won’t take any wrench in my hand if can choose)

Temperature will affect torque readings and clearance measurements... standard temp is 20 degrees C...take the engine into the house after it's cleaned.

(-15C Man that is f****ng cold!)

SteveC

Not to hi-jack the thread . . . but,

Yikes, didn't even consider temperature affecting torque and clearance measurements. I'm in the process of doing an engine rebuild and don't really have any choice other than to do it outside in the cold. Realistically, it's not going to get warmer than maybe 5C for a long time here.

Is there anyway to compensate for the temperature? Or do I have to hope for the chance of a 20C day in January?

Back