1100 yugo head on 1300 block?

Xmember

True Classic
I know its been done before and Ive tried searching, but most topics revolve around using the 1100 head on a 1500 FI car. Is the swap onto a 1300 block really as easy as off with the 1300 head on with the 1100, slap on a new head gasket and I get an instant no fuss no down sides performance gain?

Big question time: Ive found a yugo 1100 in a local yard and and prices for heads are $25 flat rate:). My question is how do I inspect the head to be certain its in good condition other then the obvious bent valve? Is there any other parts I will need to perform this mod? BTW I have no future plans for a cam, only maybe a 34DTMR carb upgrade. The car already has a free flowing filter and a header and custom exhaust fitted (which sounds freakin awesome btw):music:

Yep

Yugo head on a 1300 is the quickest bolt-on to add performance. The Yugo head is best on a 1300 and has more detractions than benefits on a 1500.

While bent valves are a concern, if you have the head off, you want to do a full valve job anyways, so you'll be able to tell if something is amiss. You'll want to fit fresh valve springs and valve stem seals.

The biggest thing to look for are obvious cracks in the head from overheating, or eaten away cooling passages in the aluminum head.

While the valves are out, its not a lot of work to clean up the valve throats and the ends of the intake runners to open them up a little bit.
With the valves out stick your thumb down the intake valve pockets, you'll feel it get bound in the throat. A little dremel work can make those openings a lot bigger.

The nice thing about a Yugo head is that it keeps the valve train geometry the same, so you can use a stock cam pulley. If you use a milled 1500 head on the 1300, the cam geometry changes, and you may run out of adjustment to the belt with the 1300 tensioner.

Good luck!

-M

Thanks Matt. If I use a spring compressor, is the head work something that I can do in my apartment on the living room table? Also to double check my shopping list, I'm planning to buy new valves (128 valves), ISKY springs (X1/9-128), 128 valve guides, head gasket and.....?? What else will I need?

Not really....

You should hand that work off to a local machine shop who can do the job right. It is not a kitchen table kind of activitity.

The head needs to be measured to ensure that it is straight, and the face milled accordingly if it is not.

Same goes for the cam box and cam box mating surfaces. Not exactly a requirement, but sure goes a long way to preventing the dreaded cam box oil leak.

Valve guides can only be replaced with a special tool, jig and a press. Definitely best left to the professionals.

The valves need to be refaced, and the valve seats dressed or recut. Then they need to be lapped. The first two of the three operations here are definitely professional shop territory.

Assembly of the valves and springs can be done on the kitchen table, but if the machine shop has gone that far, why not let them do it the rest of the way.

OK, now, you get down to installing the cam and cam housing, and setting the cam / valve clearances. You will need the special FIAT valve spring tool for SOHC, feeler gauges, and a good understanding of how this process is to be accomplished. You should have a workbench that the head can be bolted to, as you will have to rotate the camshaft after setting each shim to check final clearances. You will need new shims in specific sizes to get the clearances correct.

If you want to do it right, this is not an afternoon project, sorry to say.

...and I strongly recommend not "winging it" and just bolting new head to existing cam box and cam and hoping for the best. We see that a lot here at the shop. The valve clearances will be >all< wrong, valves with 0 clearances hung open, car running on 3 1/2 cylinders if you're lucky, etc.

PS. Not trying to scare you, just describing the level of detail required for the job to be done right.

Good luck!

-Matt

--

how much should all that gonna run ball park? (so I can start saving and convincing the wife:innocent:)

As Matt said...

But he neglected to mention that this can EASILY be done in the kitchen sink... if you are NOT married... or are looking to give your wife grounds for a divorce...

(hehehe!)

My advice would be to ship Matt the 1100 head and have him massage it for you, "adjust the valve shims" and send you back a BOLT-ON item. His bill can easily be hidden or distroyed if you pay by cash... and the wife will never haveta know!

Back