126 steering parts diagram -- possible steering link replacement

Kendall

True Classic
Hi everyone, I'm trying to hunt down the parts numbers for a 126 steering section. Particularly the steering link with the u-joint on each end.

If anyone has a parts diagram or list please let me know or post it here. Thank you all for the help.

I do not have a 126. But I believe that the steering link is identical to the x1/9 part. Hits for 126 parts come up when you Google the later x part number. I would just like to see a 126 diagram to confirm that it shows the same number. I have already been in contact with some 126 parts vendors in Europe for pictures and measurements, and it looks promising. But of course they can't confirm the original Fiat part number even though they sell a 126 part catalog.

Okay, so I did track down a 126 parts catalog.
Screenshot_20210826-191057_Drive.jpg

Here in the rack and pinion steering setup the part number is 4426922. If you search for that part number you get:
4426922 is one of three part numbers for the x steering link.

Now, the 126 also came with a steering box similar to a 124. In that diagram there is a different part number listed. But when you search for 126 steering links at European part vendors they say the part is good for all years. Like here:

So, to conclude, I think it's a safe bet that the 126 steering link will work in the x. They also share many parts with the rack and pinion assembly, so I think that adds to the probability. I don't know if this research is reinventing the wheel, or if anyone knows any different information. If anyone has any comments or thoughts please let me know. Based on the photos of the parts and measurements I've seen it looks promising. As far as I can tell the part for the x is not available, but the parts for the 126 are.

I'm not sure if this post might be moved back to the discussion section, as it is really pointed to x owners who want to replace their steering link.

So...why is this posted in the "Front Wheel Drive Fiats" section? 🤔
Well I posted it to the discussion forum originally. It was moved, which is fine, and now moved back.

I may order one of these links in the near future, but I already ordered u-joints to rebuild the one I have, assuming they are the correct size. As far as I can tell all the fiats in this era used the same ends on the steering links, they were just different lengths as needed.

So the day finally came. I got the new steering linkage today from fiat500126.de.

20210921_195748.jpg
As far as I can tell the parts nearly identical. There may be a slight difference in length as shown in this next picture. I have the other end not shown in the picture lined up by the ends of the u-joint ear. It looks like there might be about 2mm difference in length. The real critical dimension would be from one bolt hole to the other in each end, as the bolts locate the ends of the steering link on the rack and on the steering column. I'll have to get it in my car to see if there are any issues.

20210921_200708.jpg

My original steering link I did rebuild with new u-joints from Europe. They are available from many vendors as the joints are the same on many vintage Fiats.

I installed the new link today. I did have to adjust the column up a little bit to compensate for the difference in length. Without adjusting the column the turn signal automatic turn off didn't work.
20210926_144033.jpg

Here you can see the distance I had to move the column, about a quarter of an inch.
20210926_144039.jpg

So if anyone is looking for a new steering link please let them know you can get this 126 part from several vendors in Europe. I hope this info helps someone.

Back