128 Radiator Dimensions

My 128 is a '74. I did a rough measurement of the radiator mounting area and it looks like roughly 16.5" wide by 16" from the bottom of the support bracket to the top of the radiator support.

I suppose the important dimension is the height as width doesn't seem to be an issue.

The reason I'm asking is that mine did not come with a radiator. I'm not sure if a '74 is considered early or late.

The radiator I'm looking at has dimensions of 20 x 16.5 x 5.2 inches. Here's the link on Amazon: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Fastwayracer-FW-RD-92CIVIC-Manual-Aluminum-Radiator/dp/B006RBN8JG/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1396544205&sr=1-1&keywords=Fastwayracer+FW-RD-92CIVIC%2C+Honda+Civic+Manual+2+Rows+Aluminum+Racing+Radiator+Half+Size[ame="http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006RBN8JG/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1I4ABP0JE55RV&coliid=I39U6YFVVR1XZR"]"]Amazon.com: Fastwayracer FW-RD-92CIVIC, Honda Civic Manual 2 Rows Aluminum Racing Radiator Half Size: Automotive[/ame]

I might have a spare for you

Hi Ripley,

Great to see you back on Xweb. I believe I have a spare radiator that you're welcome to have. I'll be able to check for certain this weekend and will PM you with the details.

-Dean

Hey Dean!

That would be awesome.

I'm planning on coming down that way the weekend of April 11th to pick some more stuff up from Andronica for this car. If you have one, I could pick it up then.

Sounds great Ripley

I'll be around next weekend, so that should be fine. I'll report back in a day or two on what I have.

To second Mike's question please tell us what you're working on, and some pictures would be great.

-Dean

Hey Mike!

I've acquired Eric and Andronica's Tri-colored 128 Rally and the boys and I are planning on working on it together.

Pics:
Morgan and Lucas after picking the car up from Andronica (Notice the plastic wrap to keep water out during the deluge on the trip up from Brookings, OR):

Lucas and Phillip posing with the car in their Grandmother's garage while we clean out our garage to bring it home:

Rear view:

The plan is to get it up and running and make some improvements. The boys will share it for Autocross. Depending on the level of work he puts into it, it will probably become Lucas' car in 2 years when he graduates High School, otherwise it'll be mine!:devil:.

Young'uns...

...sure have grown!
Wonderful they have interest in vintage tin.
And a fine example it is!

As I recall, it needed motor freshening,
and new windshield (courtesy of AndyJ) installed.
Any other tasks on the horizon?

Perhaps the boys can find inspiration here...
_RJT1140v1_zpsdf40f49e.jpg

Hey Rip,

I have an early and late radiator Eric gave me when he was cleaning out his garage prior to moving South.

Yours if you need it. Eric told me the late (bigger) rad will fit the early cars and add more cooling capacity. He suggested I replace the early rad in my 128 autocross car with the larger rad, but my car already has an auxiliary radiator so I don't think I need to worry about the bigger rad.

They both appear to be in good shape... let me know.

Hey, Thanks for posting the link. The radiator on my Yugo is starting to leak at the seam where the upper cap is soldered to the core.

20 years ago I would have taken it to a local shop down town and had it rodded it out and repaired for $20 but all the shops I used to go to are now out of business. Since all new cars are made of alumnium/plastic that you just replace when they start leaking.

I considering dunking it in a tank to see where the leak is and try soldering it myself with a propane torch but I'm afraid I might make it worse.

It still cools the engine so I don't think it's ready for the metal recycler and could be repaired.

I noticed this site shows the .09 liter pushrod engine which was never sold in the US. Although the prices are in US dollars. But appears to be a U.K. site.

What's odd is the larger the displacement, the cheaper the radiator. They are showing a 1.3 liter as $114 as opposed to the 1.1 liter for $174.

I would think a 1.3 liter radiator would work considering I have a 1500 engine with a 1.1 liter radiator.

http://www.pag-automotive.com/advan...in_description=1&keywords=Yugo&sort=2a&page=1

Thanks Andy!

Dean has offered one of his, but if that doesn't work out, I'll definitely take you up on your offer.

Thanks!

Back