128 Transmission question

pdxgeo

True Classic
Finally dropped the trans on SplitPea to figure out the shifting issues. Thank you Mike Mittlestead for your help and support in doing this job.

So the bolt that holds the shifter fork to the shaft inside the bellhousing is in fact "sheared" off as I was warned might be the case.

The head of the bolt is nowhere to be seen but the shouldered "bottom" end of the bolt is still protruding from the hole. How should I get it out? Does anyone have experience doing this?

Thanks

Can you remove the shift rod from the case to work on it or is it sheared such that the shift fork is stuck on there?

It's stuck. There is a portion of the bolt still in there with the shouldered end sticking out. i tried making a slot with my dremen to turn it back out and it wouldnt work. tried heat on it too. Took it to a transmission shop to attempt and they said they might have to drilla small hole in the bellhousing case to access the hole and drill the bolt out...

guy said this wouldnt cause issue...sounds like famous last words to me.:huh:

Ah. I didn't realize it was the throwout bearing fork until reading Matt's response. Drilling a hole probably wouldn't be the end of the world. You could always resort to grinding the fork (or shaft) to get it out and then replace the parts. Maybe try to drill the bolt out first. I'm sure I have used shafts & forks to spare if the Portland crew doesn't have any.

Back