128 wheel specs

Agnelli

True Classic
The goal of the following measurements is to ascertain which wheels already in stock to run. Current installed alloys are Compomotives, 13x5.5 with 175/70s. Rear tires scrape the outer rear fenders (at about 2 o'clock on the driver's side 10 o'clock on passenger side). I've already hammered back the edges of the fenders with a small sledge, don't want to cut or further bow out the fenders, or run flares.

Table below developed to determine how far outboard rear tires will run. Figures are in inches, weight in lbs.

Most likely will run 124 steelies which have been stripped and powdercoated in original light grey shade. Wider Cosmics will likely rub, unless I shift tire size.

128 wheel specs
TypeWidth, outsideWidth, beadBackspaceOutside : hubWeight
128 steel5 1/24 1/24 7/161 1/1612
124 steel654 1/81 7/814
Cosmic alloy764 3/162 13/1616

carl

True Classic
Can't help with the wheels, try asking Chris Granju since he bought my 128 wagon and it has non stock wheels. I seem to recall with my 128 wagon that lowering the rear is what causes tire rub. Is your car is lowered, maybe it's too much?

johnph

True Classic
Since the tires are rubbing the (outboard side) fender, you might want to check how much space there is before rubbing on the inside.
Write down that figure for each side. Then measure the backspace dimension of the stock wheel. Backspace is the distance from the back rim flange down to the hubmount surface of the wheel center. Then get wheels which have a lesser backspace dimension.
Let's say you have 40 mm clearance on the inside. Select a same width wheel with 30 mm less backspace and install it. Now, you will have 10 mm clearance on the inside and 30mm more clearance on the outside.
In the pic, backspace on the wheel shown is 55mm.

Attachments

• DSCN1885.JPG
    DSCN1885.JPG
    288.6 KB · Views: 4

Agnelli

True Classic
Can't help with the wheels, try asking Chris Granju since he bought my 128 wagon and it has non stock wheels. I seem to recall with my 128 wagon that lowering the rear is what causes tire rub. Is your car is lowered, maybe it's too much?
Yes it may be too low in the rear.