13" Tires

I'm thinking it will come to $73 per wheel. Sheesh. Is that expensive, or is it just me?

It's just you... the michelins on the suburban cost $197 a piece. Ouch to say the least. Sure they are much larger, but I can't imagine they have $130+ worth of materials extra in them... And they surely don't cost much more to make.

4 quality tires for sub $300 these days = win.

Yeah, when I buy tires for my daily driver it costs a pretty petty. I run Michelin Pilot Sports. 225/45 17 front and 245/40 17 rear.

For such a small sized tire it just seems outrageous.

Okay, was talking to a buddy in the Netherlands and telling him of my issue. He says the 13" are everywhere.

He has a super cheap freight rate. If we got enough guys, we may be able to get a pallet loaded up and shipped out.

Just a thought.

Ed

There is a guy that stops by my shop from time to time. He got a R888 tire from a shop that had one. It wore out in some 3,000 miles.

Ed

I had both Yoko A048's and Toyo R888's on my Elise. The R888's seem to last a little longer than the A048's ... about 10K miles on the rears compared to 6-7K from the A048's. The rears on the Lotus wear about twice as fast as the fronts.

The A048's have more grip when they're new and up to temp, but the R888's seem to be more consistent.

Anyway, I found a place online that has R888's for $137/tire for 185/60-13's, but I'm trying to find something a little cheaper.

After having the scariest drive of my life, I broke down and bought some Nexen CP 641 tires in 185/60/ 13.

Paid $230 out the door. $so 57.50 per tire mounted and balanced. I feel like I did okay.

I found them online for $39.50...

... but what the hell are Nexen's and where did you find them locally?

Tell us more!

They were available at a tire shop in Gardena. Kinda of a ghetto place, but the guy is real nice.

Can't say much about the tires just yet. Anything will drive better in the wet than my aging Yokohama's. However, I know they just won't have the dry grip. Bummer.

Specs here: http://www.nexentireusa.com/tires-6/CP641

I did notice that on tight turns in the wet I got throttle lift oversteer.

Tire shop is called Pacific Tire, 400 W. Alondra Blvd, Gardena, CA 90248, 310-217-9733.

I know what it is like to have no options, so if someone needs some help, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Ed

Interesting, Ed...

Specs say a UTOG of 400 with a 55,000 mile warranty... and all the other dimensions are about the same as a Sumitumo... which has a UTOG of either 320 or 380.

They would appear to be an excellent DD type tire... do keep us informed with how they work out for you.

... Nexen tires

... I mentioned these just a month or so back.

The CP641 is an all season tire in 185/60 - 13

http://www.nexentireusa.com/tires-6/CP641

I can get these from Les Schwab's in Kirkland 98033, though not in stock they can be shipped in ... I think the price was good at about $420 for 4 ... etc for the options ... got a Les's nearny Nonno Tony?

Hey Chris... Nope, but Les is...

... slowly making his way south... as I see some dealerships around Redding CA and some of the Central CA cities. No where in the the SoCal area, though.

From what I've seen and heard with my Oregonian friends, Les Schwab dealers are pretty community oriented and all around good folks. Did ya see the price Ed got though... about 230 four a set of 4. I saw them online somewhere for 39.50 but that probably did not include shipping and taxes, mounting and balance would need to be added also.

shipping

I just looked up a flight on travelocity for that price for shipping you might as well pick them up on a airplane. I'm not joking either I would check. That's scary.

Back