1300 electronic ignition

Michael Hunter

True Classic
Looking for a source or good used electronic ignition for my X. I cant seem to locate anything to convert my ducellier distributor to electronic. Mine is a 78 with the 32 datra carburetor. When I got the car it had a couple spark plugs wires missing and someone had removed the dizzy. I got #4 at tdc and put the dizzy in. The first time I had it running it ran very smooth with exception idle was higher than I liked. After I desmogged it,it started running a lil rough. I put in new plugs,checked gap. Checked gap on points. Partially disassembled the carb and clean it. It fired up and ran smooth except high idle again..the more i try to get the idle down and set the timing with a timing light..it has progressively gotten worse. I want to convert to electronic ignition just for reliability reasons. I would appreciate and guidance or help. So if anyone has anything to offer me please DM me with what you have to offer... thank you in advance.
Mike

I put a Pertronix electronic ignition kit in my 124 sedan. You can look up your distributor's model number and see if they have a kit for your dizzy. Just a quick look at Amazon show's there is a Ducellier kit, but without the dizzy model number there is no way to be sure it is correct.

Just FYI. The Pertronix kit really improved the way my 124 starts and runs.
Thanks...I looked before...but I'll check again..does it sound more like carb,timing or ignition issues ?

One odd thing to check. Make sure your accelerator cable isn't binding in the sheath and holding the throttle open. It happens sometimes.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/262293985349
I bought one of these. Another fellow is running one so I thought why not try it. It was 38.00 with free shipping. View attachment 12147

That looks taller than the stock distributor. I know the cap can be changed to an angles cap, but that tube section below the housing and down to the seal looks long. Have you compared the units side by side? It could just be the subtle difference in the case shapes that is throwing me off.

Honestly haven't compared it as yet. Took it out of the box and took a pic. A fellow X owner in Houghston told me he is running one in a 1500 so I ordered one. The money was stupid cheap so I decided I would buy it. It may be a touch different. I would pull my Ducellier dizzy and compare but I'm headed for Portland this morning.
I guess as long as it didn't foul the firewall and the oil pump drive was correct it should do the job. Run the two wires to plus and minus on coil and off you go.

The firewall was my concern, but if it works, it works. The price is definitely right. Thanks for pointing it out! :)

Honestly haven't compared it as yet. Took it out of the box and took a pic. A fellow X owner in Houghston told me he is running one in a 1500 so I ordered one. The money was stupid cheap so I decided I would buy it. It may be a touch different. I would pull my Ducellier dizzy and compare but I'm headed for Portland this morning.
I guess as long as it didn't foul the firewall and the oil pump drive was correct it should do the job. Run the two wires to plus and minus on coil and off you go.
So is it supposed to work on the 1300 ?

Let me know how well it works out

It's a smokin' hot deal at that price for everything you need but a coil- cheaper than the Pertronix I bought (years ago, now) for my Volvo; no external ign box needed, like a later Bosch system (though that does look like a Bosch style cap).

1300, 1500, 1600......oh yes, and 1900 should all work! The oil pump drive shaft length should all be the same! Some of the castings even say Marelli right in the housing.

Last edited:
You could also look for a Bosch unit out of a ‘79 or early ‘80 as they had an electrinic setup that would be a bolt in and the curves for it would work well with your 1300.

Back