$1500 '86 X1/9 on Sac Craigslist

seller says...

Needs a fuel pump, no rust, interior in good condition.
Getting more details tomorrow...

They

couldn't be more creative on the photo's ?

Same
location and year i bought my 86 5 years ago.

No is the answer. If you expect creative photos then you can triple the price.... If you want a deal then you should look for the photos that look the worse...:grin:

$1500????

If it only needs a fuel pump and the seller says no rust then this is a steal. I bought my 1980 in 1985 for $1500 and is had some rust, needed a head light motor, later a transmission rebuilt.

If I did not buy my 1986 I would jump on that deal.

Oh, for your Calis out there...if the registration is not current you might have to pay past registration fees---you could do a lien sale but depending on how you fill out the form you might have to pay some of the past registration in CA anyway...happened to me on my 1986 X1/9.

Stephen

Finally got a chance to call...

this still might be a great opportunity, and I'm still sorely tempted to buy it, if only it wasn't so dang far... I need a good reliable driver while working on my project car (K20 and eurosport kit). (and I think my 2nd project is going to take some time too, plus I need one for my son...)

Everything written below is what he told me, not that I know it to be true or false:
The seller and current owner bought it in 1989 and used it to commute around Oakland and Sunnyvale. It is, and has been, parked inside so no rust. After a few years he was having trouble with his knees so just parked it. He was starting it every few months, but then awhile ago the fuel pump died (as diagnosed by someone else). Car cranks, but doesn't start.
Car was originally a two-tone silver/black, was repainted all black (the pic on craigslist, while only one view is, believe it or not, by far the best pic I've gotten. They are all fuzzy, out of focus, 640x480 or 320x240, terribly (not)lit cell phone pics. But from these pics, I think the inside of the frunk is still silver, so was likely a cheap paint job).
Currently sitting on a CA non-op registration.
Was planning on giving to his daughter, but has decided newer cars are better then this "really little X" (see, now that's what I love about them and completely disagree with him on, new cars have no personality). He is currently unemployed and on disability and needs the $$, so that's why he's selling.
Seems like someone who doesn't know much about them and is not a Fiat or X-1/9 enthusiast, just owned and drove one like any other car and then parked it. Nothing wrong with that, but it makes it hard to get detailed information, he just says he drove it, then parked, it, any questions?...

If this car wasn't so far away... or if I knew I could take a fuel pump down and get it running in a couple of hours, I would have probably bought it already. But... there is the issue of it likely having a really bad paint job, and what if it needs a lot more then a fuel pump...I don't know. I need another project like I need a hole in my head.

My '85 started out the same way. Crappy repaint and barely running. It had a good solid body and decent interior. Paid $500 12 years ago, and thousands later it's an awesome car. The initial outlay is almost irrelevant.

Normally, I'd agree with you Mark...

Normally I'd agree, and for other's looking at this car, it still might be true, and your comment reminds me of when I finally gave up on a '57 Chevy project car I held on to for many many years (finally realized that it wasn't interesting enough for me to work on, based on what I want out of a car). I had it listed at $2000, after already having dropped it a few times. Guy came to buy it wanted to know if I would take $1600. Like $400 on a car he's going to have spend many many thousands (car needed a LOT of work) would make a difference. But hey, if it makes you feel better, sure, I'll take $1600...
Anyways, back to this X and *my* current situation, which is that given that I have two cars already that I'm working on as projects, and for both, you are right, the purchase price is but a small percentage of the overall investment, so...IF I buy another X, it HAS to meet two (ok three) criteria:
1) it can't require more then a weekend of work to get to the point of being a perfectly reasonable driver
2) I have to be able to get back out of it without losing (a lot of) money since it I would sell it as soon as my project car is complete. Not that I have to make (much) money on "flipping" it after spending some reasonable effort to improve it - since I can't help but do that to any car I own
3) having just acquired two project cars already, and finishing of an complete kitchen remodel, I'm broke - so it has to be fairly inexpensive both to purchase and make road worthy (ties with criteria #1).

Just my current situation.
I'm posting information here both in case anyone can look at the car and give assurances that it looks better in person then crappy cell phone pics, or in case someone else is more ready to buy what seems to be at least a good base car and they are more ready and willing to invest further...

Hmmmm

".....Car was originally a two-tone silver/black, was repainted all black (the pic on craigslist, while only one view is, believe it or not, by far the best pic I've gotten....."

I don' recall any original '85 or '86 paint scheme with a silver/black two-tone.:hmm2::confuse2:

Sorry Dan

The K20 project car I picked up is an '85 that was (still partly is) silver/black two-tone. This is another example that shows it seems a stock option in '84:
http://claz.org/classifieds/view/142uuicowm7

or, a better source? a sales brochure:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1985-1986-B...744?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3362eb34d0

It's not a bad combo, not my top choice, but certainly better then some, and one that its too bad that it was repainted cheaply, if it was.

Someone needs to go see this car in person... :)

I always thought that was a silver/charcoal two-tone.

The K20 project car I picked up is an '85 that was (still partly is) silver/black two-tone. This is another example that shows it seems a stock option in '84:
http://claz.org/classifieds/view/142uuicowm7

or, a better source? a sales brochure:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1985-1986-B...744?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3362eb34d0

It's not a bad combo, not my top choice, but certainly better then some, and one that its too bad that it was repainted cheaply, if it was.

Someone needs to go see this car in person... :)

This could be one of those "soft model year" situations, where Bertone and IAI phased in changes as they went along rather than the very rigidly delineated changes from one model year to the next that we are used to with American cars.

Not to mention the not-unheard-of situation where a state would title and/or register a car plus or minus a model year.

Not trying to stir up controvery, pull chains, or dispute what may be on a title or registration...just saying that I thought it was pretty well established that if a car has the low-waisted two-tone, it's an '84 or older, and if it has the later high-waisted two tone, it's an '85 or newer.

Not sure how much the paint/year matters on a re-sprayed car...

... or whether you call it silver/black, silver/charcoal, champagne/black, or as wikipedia calls "Silver over Metallic Charcoal" as available 82-85, and whether the car is actually an 85 or an 86, or whether the paint scheme was originally high-waisted or low-waisted.
The seller said it was originally a two-tone. It's now mono-black on the outside, but as these pictures show
http://s1000.photobucket.com/albums/af122/bbranch10/86_X_Sac/
(I uploaded all the pics the seller has sent me)
it appears to me that the inside of the frunk is still silver, which is important to me not based on the original paint scheme, but rather that a paint job that includes a color change, that does not address the entire car would indicate a "cheap" paint job. My opinion.
It does include a second set of chrome rims that are new in box and never mounted. He could tell me nothing about them though, just that he had bought them for the car because the original hubcaps had gotten brittle.

Apart from this car, but on the paint discussion, my K20 project car is titled as an '85 model year, first sold in '86, and is high-waisted silver and black, or whatever the "proper" names are :)

To recap for this car:
Pros - $1500 for a car that is reportedly rust free, and reportedly has only a minor mechanical issue
Cons - likely a cheap paint job, currently not running so some risk in getting it on the road.
My opinion, this is a car that was used, but not loved, owned by someone who is not knowledgable in the care and maintenance of these special cars. But, what do you want/expect for $1500? :)
I think its too far away for me to risk and likely have to invest in a proper paint job to make it worth something. But if anyone else is looking for what is likely an easy project, this might still be a good deal. So I keep sharing in case it helps someone else. Or I change my mind :)

still available...

for what its worth...
I've had a few more conversations with this seller, the last being shortly before I bought the Seattle car that has turned into more work and expense then I wanted... I had already arranged for a couple days of work to go fetch a car, and even had purchased a fuel pump to go put on this car before actually buying - but he said he has someone looking at it and asked me to wait, so I bought the Seattle 86-X instead. But, he texted earlier this week wanting to know if I was still interested. There is a new listing on craigslist for it (the old one had expired)
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/3312733133.html
he's actually *raised* the price, interesting considering it hasn't sold, and its the end of summer where little sports cars become harder to sell. But whatever, its his asking price. The new craigslist ad has some better pics then before, though still crappy. Every email and text is from a blackberry phone, and I'm thinking that his only camera and internet connection, which is why his pictures are so bad as to not help him sell his car.
If this car really can be made driveable with just a fuel pump, I still think it would be a good deal... Someone should go look at it :)

I tried contacting this seller the first time it was for sale. I called, left messages, and also sent an email. No response. The ad expired, so I assumed it had sold. I was seriously interested and was a bit excited to check it out. I even withdrew the cash and had it on hand so that I'd be ready to go when I heard back from him.

Brett.......have you talked with him since the new ad was put up? Looking at the new pics, he might have got it running now which might explain his raised price? The pics show the car outside and it looks like he washed it.

We had a text exchange, he sent me the same pics that are in the ad. I didn't ask if he got it running, and he may have pushed it out of the garage to take the pics??? I'd been on him a lot to take better pics

Back