1500 Bumper Resto

sjmst

True Classic
I did a search and didn't find anything. Anyone have any tips on how to make the bumpers on the later series cars with silver (not black) bumper look new? Are they typically painted or polished?
Thanks

HA! The EASIEST way is to strip them...

and take them to be CHROMED!

Here's another way... I understand Mr. De Carbo paid about $150 bucks a few years back to have both bumpers polished out by pros.

Pretty nice, huh! All the extra rubber where the the RED reflective tape is now can easily be unbolted and taped over... or you can add some self-stick 1" wide door molding in BLACK or CHROME or any other color if you wish to paint them.

Here's a shot of Ed waving BYE... Great guy and selling this and one other ride as well. If interested, contact me and I'll get you his info.

Good luck with your decision and choices. The factory ANODIZED these aluminum bumpers and then clear-coated them. You could re-do that as well or have them Jet-Hot coated in the new "chrome-like" finishes and several other colors they provide.

I mentioned the EASIEST and MOST EXPENSIVE first... the LEAST EXPENSIVE and MOST DIFFICULT to do is sanding them down and then polishing them back out like Ed's. I betcha spend at least $100 in materials and TWO days labor... which makes the money spent by Ed rather nebulous.

HTH!

I sanded mine down, and polished...

with a scotch bright wheel, then you can polish even further with cloth buffing wheel....heard oven cleaner will aid in removing anodized finsh, it's a lot of work sanding...also, you have to keep up the polishing if you do this

I really want to try this stuff- been out for a while, it's a spray on chrome process....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvtRYZ5EasA

You could have them re-anodized in clear or black. There are anodizing facilities near most major cities that have manufacturing/extruders.

Kevin... I see all sorts of videos from DIY at home...

to spray booths with space suits to apply.

Do you know who the DIY folks are and what it might cost for materials. It doesn't appear to give ya the SHOW CHROME of a concours classic, but certainly more than good e'nuff for us street guys!

I think a good look would be polished and then clear powder coat.

The strip-down and polish you could do yourself and then have a powder coater put the clear on.

OK, here is your DIY CHROME KIT from Home Depot...

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Alsa-Refinish-Chroming-Spray-System-CFXPumpsys/204154417

Also view the ALSA Video on How to use this kit, as well as Clicking on and Downloading the "Instructions and Assembly Guide" on the site above. (Scroll down a bit...) READ THEM... it doesn't take long.

They talk about PATIENCE and FOLLOWING INSTRUCTIONS as well as PREPPING to an absolutely CLEAN and SMOOTH finish... and then using absolutely PURE DISTILLED or DE-IONIZED water to .000 ppm and to test the water before each use. It also hasta be 70f - 95f DEGREES with 10% HUMIDITY... or purchase a state of the art spray booth!

It will take a MINIMUM of THREE DAYS to walk through the steps they show on the Videos in THREE MINUTES.

I think someone wanting to chrome plate NEW plastics and the like and have a bunch to do might benefit from this kit. It may also be FUN for others... but I think for most auto parts in aluminum and metals... The local chrome shop would be a better deal.

Have fun.

ALSA also makes a Three - 13.5 ounce CAN SPRAY KIT for $125 bucks that really doesn't cover much and doesn't come that close to the $200 dollar kit in area covered or finish. It might be a whole bunch faster, I didn't bother going further with it.

Anyone here use any of these products?

Back