1500 into a 76...any concerns?

carl

True Classic
Looks like the stock motor in the 76 I just got is stuck good (plugs suggest antifreeze in the bores). I have a 1500 from a carbed 80 X and will just put that in. I know about using the 1300 flywheel/clutch/starter. I'm hoping the water pump and alternator from the 1300 can go on the 1500 (those parts missing from the 1500). Any other issues? Done several 1500 into 128s with no real problem.

Carl in Virginia

Not sure on the bits and pieces, but..

it is apparenlty an inch or two taller, so you will have to custom the exhaust. Others have had a spacer made using the manifold to down-pipe gasket as a template.

I'm sure others will chime in on the other questions you have...

My 76

That I had before moving to Alaska, had a 1500 carb (40 DCNF) in it and the 1500 transmission. It had the 1500 engine cover instead of the 1300 if I remember correctly. It also had the Ansa quad tipped exhaust. Should have no problems putting the 1500 in the 1300 body, just be ready to find some later parts you may need. (I did not do the swap. If Warren in Calgary is lurking around, maybe he can chime in with more details since I got it from him)

I am working on a 1500->78

Hi Carl,

You are on the right track. You will need the starter/clutch and flywheel from the 1300. Not sure how the alt will line up. It may be fine, but you could always try swapping the alt mounts between the 1300 and 1500 block if you have fitment issues. I think all the "water pumps" are the same, but may have pulley variations as well as "water pump housing" variations. Some housings have a heater tap and some don't, the heater tap was in the tube that stretched across the engine.

I am sure you can get it all to fit. :)

I just finished putting a 1500 into my '74 this weekend

Looks like the stock motor in the 76 I just got is stuck good (plugs suggest antifreeze in the bores). I have a 1500 from a carbed 80 X and will just put that in. I know about using the 1300 flywheel/clutch/starter. I'm hoping the water pump and alternator from the 1300 can go on the 1500 (those parts missing from the 1500). Any other issues? Done several 1500 into 128s with no real problem.
Carl in Virginia

I just finished putting a 1500 into my '74 this weekend. Well, not quite... still some loose ends that'll I'll be posting about in a moment... This makes my second 1500->74 transplant... The last one brought along a 5-speed, this one is keeping the 4-speed like you. Not much to remember, really:

1) The 1500 is about one-plus cm taller than the 1300. Any aftermarket exhaust with a slip joint between the downpipe and the muffler will work fine. A stock exhaust will need a spacer - mill it from stainless steel, use the gasket as a template, go for 1/2" thick.

2) Because the motor is a bit taller, the early 1300 engine cover won't close over a 1500 with the stock induction (carb or FI). It will close over a carb with the oval (oval! not square!) aftermarket air filter from Vick. Not sure whether your '76 will have the early or the late cover.

3) No provision for an oil pressure sender on a 1500 - just the idiot light.

4) Water pump and alternator came over just fine for me, but the self-regulated alternator off a 1500 is preferable if you can get one.

And that's about it... Really a very easy conversion.

Well..

I must have a sagging bottom motor mount- cause i have the 1.5 in my 77 with the factory engine cover, and the same IAP header that I had when I had the 1300. I also have the factory air cleaner, maybe that's what that rattling noise is- air cleaner banging on the engine cover- sorry to hijack the thread here, but it all fit for me- so I thought?????

'77 has the later 1300 engine cover (I think)

I must have a sagging bottom motor mount- cause i have the 1.5 in my 77 with the factory engine cover, and the same IAP header that I had when I had the 1300. I also have the factory air cleaner, maybe that's what that rattling noise is- air cleaner banging on the engine cover- sorry to hijack the thread here, but it all fit for me- so I thought?????

'77 has the later 1300 engine cover (I think).

Exhaust differences......?

I'm trying to figure out why everyone says I need a spacer for the down pipe. Cruising all the catalogs and Midwest offereings it looks like the downpipes, manifolds etc are the same from 75 to 79 which would cover the 1300 and 1500. I will admit the exhausts for the three bolt cats has ton of fiddly connectors.

Could be the exhaust is OK

I'm trying to figure out why everyone says I need a spacer for the down pipe. Cruising all the catalogs and Midwest offereings it looks like the downpipes, manifolds etc are the same from 75 to 79 which would cover the 1300 and 1500. I will admit the exhausts for the three bolt cats has ton of fiddly connectors.

Could be the exhaust is OK for you... It isn't on a '74, but that's a different manifold and downpipe.

This pic is of a 1500cc with a 74 exhaust manifold and a down pipe and muffler for a 1300.

DSC_2394.jpg

There is a gap. I think it is due to the different deck heights. Obert has one that fits the 1500 that was used in Europe.

Back