1800 tc dyno results

AngeloX19

True Classic
Well, this is it. 3 years of work (actually about 18 months but with mental sabaticals mixed in) and I finally have numbers. Sort of. 131 whp, 120 wtq. Things I've learned on this round. Dyno Dynamics read lower, or truer compared to a dynojet. So either I'm making 140 ish, or most others are reading high compared to actual. My gut tells me about 165 flywheel based on what the injectors are duty cycling at compared to what they rated for. A/F ratios were 12.5-13.5 throughout. The synching of the rpm was off just slighly as I was running to the limiter which was set at 7500 so my peak was at 6700 or so. I miss the sohc in this respect. Lower curves are the first actual baseline run, and no I didn't get 42 full runs in the 2 hours, some were runs to certain rpm. We were never able to eliminate dip at 4500 despite playing with fuel and timing. This was done with 91 octane. The owner, a noted rally driver/performance guy said there's more if I'm willing to use 94, but since it runs and doesn't knock with 91, I'll leave it for now. I'm satisfied, but not estatic. I like how I can start from a standstill in 2nd with just a small amount of feathering the clutch. It'll also pull smartly from 1500rpm in 3rd. But considering 11.2:1, throttle bodies, programable fuel/ignition, rally cams, porting, 4-1 header, etc, I was hoping for just a tad more.

P1030976.jpg

Nice Angelo!

Have you ever documented everything it takes to put the 1800tc in your X? If so do you have a link? Thanks!!

Thanks Angelo!

This looks to be quite involved. Thanks for doing the trailblazzing on this!

Looks like you have a ton of work in there. Do you think you would still go the Lancia TC if you had to do it all over again?

I think that is pretty darn good dyno results! That has to feel really good and be a blast to drive. I am sure the fun factor will quickly erode your tiny bit of disappointment.

Good work!

Do you think you would still go the Lancia TC if you had to do it all over again?

Hard to say, the biggest plus of the tc is that it's still Italian. As an Italian going to the Italian car nights, I'd get the gears from the older generation with a Japanese drivetrain. Still, there's far more sophisticated, refined, and more powerful engines out there now, so for about the same amount of work, and cost, you can get so much more. I'm not sure tearing down a Japanese engine in my garage would be as easy as a vintage tc or not. A modern 6-speed would be nice though.

Yeah fiatmonkey, it is fun to drive. I've already got 2000 km on it this summer, I just never got around to dynoing it. And for comparison, it'll accelerate from 60-80 mph in 3.7 seconds. Not bad for passing power. 0-60 is somewhere in the low 6s, but I'm unwilling to launch it like that yet.

Back