185/60/13 tires..?

Gilles

Daily Driver
Are the 185/60/13 tires still available?

If so, where you guys are buying them?

which options do I have (if any..)

I am trying to locate a set of tires and everyone acts like you come from out of space.

Thank you, Gilles

Wheel Works

I got mine from Wheel Works. Their prices were about $5 more than TireRack, but for that I did not have to pay for shipping.

Wheel Works had to use their "special" book to order them.

Thank you Chris
the first review at the tire rack for the Sumitomo urged me to Goggle search... ha!

Have anyone tried the Nexen brand (Korean)..?

185 60r13s

I went to tire rack and got a qoute on sumi's. Then went to http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/home.do They do not list them but if you call they do carry sumi's faulkin's and toyo's. If you go to a local store (they have stores across the country) they will comp tire rack price w no shipping and still warranty the tires! I got the sumi's and they work great. 185 fronts ($47 ea) and 205 ($57 ea) on the rear no issues. It shocked me but my local store here in Indy actually stocks that tire in Faulkin's.

If you like your tires to be sticky...

Then you may like the Toyo Proxes R888. Good for road and track use But they will probably not last as long as regular street tires!

Daniel Forest
Montreal

I am running the Nexens. Somewhere on the DF or WS pages, I have a thread about trying to find them.

They are a bit too tall and squirmy, but they are far quiter than my old Yokos I was running.

Rain driving is solid and I have yet to hydroplane. They have a 55k mile warranty which may be helpful.

I paid $230 out the door at Pacific Tire 400 W. Alondra Blvd, Gardena, CA 90248. Ph 310-217-9733

thanks for the heads up

emrliquidlife,

Yesterday I went to Gardena to get the tires, Carlos did a good alignment and I ended eating great authentic Mexican food a block away.

Thanks for the tip! I will report later on the Nexens

Then you may like the Toyo Proxes R888. Good for road and track use But they will probably not last as long as regular street tires!

Daniel Forest
Montreal
There's also the Proxes RA1, which has a whopping 1/16" more tread than the R888! These tires are like night and day traction wise when compared to Sumis, etc. but way less tread life. Too bad there isn't a tire available in the 180- 220 UTQG area. The best tires for traction and street.
http://toyotires.com/tires/sports-car

Nexen CP 641 Tires

Wanting to buy tires and thought about the Nexen tire. Found it at tire-easy.com for $38 plus shipping. For those who have them on their X how do you like them?

Nexen...

about on par with the Sumis but I personally think the Sumis do better in the rain. If I had to buy a set again it would probably be the Nexens with a good tread pattern...also a cool sidewall :cool:

I am a tire junkie with 2 sets in the bank but if I was shopping I would DEF pick up these Federals that I have heard good things about...tough to find the Feds so good luck to someone that goes for this auction :eat:

Sumis are a 380 UTQG... FEDS 420
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-NE...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

http://www.federaltire.com/en/html/pdetail.php?DB=touring&pdline=1&ID=19

For those who have them on their X how do you like them?

Wheel well clearance

I had 185s, but now I'm going back to stock. With the steering at full left or full right (i.e. turning around, parking, backing up, etc.), my 185s were wearing on the edge of the wheel wells, and rubbing away part of the liner. I suppose the right answer is "don't do that!", but after a dozen times, my brain still hasn't learned the lesson, and it hurts like fingernails on the chalkboard every time I do it. Arrrgghhh!

Hey Dan!

Long time no see!

Remember me? We were exchanging newsletter from our clubs... 20 years ago! Nice to know you are also still in the same wagon!

Daniel Forest
Montreal, Canada
1980 Black Fiat X1/9
1987 White Bertone X1/9

Spacers?

Are you missing the spacers? I've never had this problem on two cars, two wheel types, and three tire brands.

I had 185s, but now I'm going back to stock. With the steering at full left or full right (i.e. turning around, parking, backing up, etc.), my 185s were wearing on the edge of the wheel wells, and rubbing away part of the liner. I suppose the right answer is "don't do that!", but after a dozen times, my brain still hasn't learned the lesson, and it hurts like fingernails on the chalkboard every time I do it. Arrrgghhh!

Did someone say spacers? What are spacers....? :doh:

Seriously, I think they're correct, but now you've got me thinking I'd better check. The clearance is really, really close, but just enough that they touch on the far outside edge and only at full steer. Thanks!

Thanks for the input on the Nexen tires

Hi Greg,
Appreciate your reply on what the Nexen tires are like. May want to try them for comparison to the Sumis.

Hi Daniel Forest

Yes, it's been many years though it surprises me that it 20! Still have my 84 X. Would like to catch up with what you have been doing. Will send you an email.

Hey Al... I believe the 185/60s are...

... only 1/2 taller overall, or 1/4 closer... and if ya rip out that liner, have at least ONE factory spacer, you should be OK.

Sometimes a little "massaging" of the lip is needed and can be done by heating the area with a HOT AIR gun or hair dryer... and a rubber mallet.

I feel the 3/4 wider thread and profile really helps both with handling and STOPPING as well... and would never go back to the stock 70 series.

Also... that liner is a bit more weight and a RUST promoter!

All this for your consideration...

Hey Danny... just stopping by to say HI!

Good seeing you here on this site... and thanks for sharing.

I think you are the second or third one here to mention the Nexen tires... at least they are another resource. Hadta wait a few months a couple of years back for the Sumitumos! Intergalactic backorder!

How those kids of yours, BTW, especially that fine young man and his X!

(Your daughter is great also... but what does she drive?)

HA!

This is a really cool website! I've haven't hardly turned a bolt yet, and the car seems to be restoring/improving all by itself, just by reading the posts. Many thanks!!

Back