1967 Series 1 850 coupe NZ

nzsubaru

So i purchased this series 1 850 Coupe about 2 years ago, slowly starting on the rebuild and here is a little bit of a catch up to where it sits at the moment
IMG_9550.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
As collected

We then moved for work, we set up the garage so i could work on the car and then the following day some not very nice people broke in and cleaned the garage out $15,000 of tools and parts gone and they spray painted my poor little fiat :sigh:
IMG_0230.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

So not a lot got done while living at that house but 10 months later we moved and i felt a little more motivated and had built up my tool collection again

IMG_0797.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

got a little brutal

Just a bit rusty
DSC_0353.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

MOved again, better workshop/workplace so motivated again to get some work done

Pulled the motor so i can start to rebuild it, it's the later 903 motor, high lift cam, making it go a little better

DSC_0402.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Swiss cheese - would be nice if repair panels were available
DSC_0359.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Removed some rusty parts
IMG_0854.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Made up a new front crossmember (not quite finished here)
IMG_0853.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

NOS rear panel
IMG_0751.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I have been slowly accumulating new parts, have a new Old stock front bumper, headlight rings, pre 67 (early type and hard to find) front brake rotors, caliper rebuild kit, steering parts, plus i made the best of an original pair of carello headlights with rusted reflectors and a pair of new H4 lights.

I was given a set of Cromodora CD9s that i am going to refurbish for the car also.

Last edited:
Wow that's a rough start with the loss of your tools.

Definitely progress through the travails, looking forward to more!

Thanks!

Too bad with the punks stealing your tools and vandalizing the car!
Keep on going!
Theese coupe's are such beautiful cars, best of luck with the restauration.

Yes they are not very common over here, i know of 5 or 6, there will be more around but you just don't see them, and trying to explain to people that it's not a 850 sport coupe and they don't realise there is a difference

My metal working skills are pretty much non existent, i just fumble my way through and google what i can't sort of work out

So the Pillar on the drivers side was completely gone so started cutting back until i hit solid metal
IMG_1398.jpg

I didn't touch the top inner hinge panel much as it was still solid

but after a lot of measuring, cutting, folding, throwing in the scrap bin and starting again i got to this point
IMG_1430.jpg

IMG_1432.jpg

It looks better in person, the photos make it lot a bit wobbly

I also didn't like to factory front sill closure idea so did this instead, I will seam seal around it after the outer rocker panel is fitted
IMG_1438.jpg

Still have to clean it all up a bit more, just have to work out which tool is the best to get into the tight corners

And i remade and reinforced the front inner guard gussets
IMG_1306.jpg

So one side almost done, just the pillar to rocker section then clean it all up ready to attach the outer rocker panel, then the other side.

Back