1970 Racer with Abarth emblem

The VIN on the title I have is 1QOGBS101169Z1. It was sold new on June 26, 1972. This title is to one of the cars that is disassembled and I have no title to the Racer but all ID tags are intact. Where is the best place to get a title?

Last edited:
I know little about 850s and their variants

But I gotta say, this car needs to be preserved regardless of its original or current spec.

Sure, it looks a little rough around the edges right now, but I can see some beautiful lines "hidden" there.

Good luck with this car and keep us posted!

Cheers,

Rob

Thanks for all of the info...The metalworking doesn't scare me on this car as I have experience with all of that as well as the mechanical. I most likely will be asking for help in figuring out which parts are original to this car. I want to make sure it is as original as possible and since there are three extra cars worth of parts some distinguishing will need to be done. I am also the General Manager for our local tv station here in Hawaii, I plan to take a lot of video and put together a show on the progress of the rebuild. Any thoughts, recommendations and criticism is welcome! LOL

Clearly your best course of action is to fly me in to help. I work for free, just room and board, ANYTHING to get out of this winter!

Lots of great parts there. Looks like a regular Fiat VIN.

To get a title you will need to deal with the Hawaiian Department of Motor Vehicles or whatever agency they have there. Its likely to be painful and take a fair amount of time and effort in many cases.

Good luck with that part of it.

Started bringing my baby home today...All I can say is WOW I have a lot of extra parts. complete engines, trans, three convertible bow sets, removable hardtop, consoles, dashes, chassis parts...sheet metal...you name it I now have it. here are some more pics of my Racer. Does anyone know if these mirrors were originals?

Re: Fiat 850 Racer

Started bringing my baby home today...All I can say is WOW I have a lot of extra parts. complete engines, trans, three convertible bow sets, removable hardtop, consoles, dashes, chassis parts...sheet metal...you name it I now have it. here are some more pics of my Racer. Does anyone know if these mirrors were originals?

Congrats on your purchase of (what's left of?) this 1970 Fiat 850 Racer! :cool: Unfortunately, the Abarth rear lettering has absolutely nothing to do with this car, it's just an add-on by a wishful-thinking previous owner (though if you do still have this chrome lettering, a friend of mine might be interested in buying it from you for his car, if you're considering selling it).

The 1972 title you have is indeed likely from a '72 850 Spider that the previous owner parted-out, as evidenced by some of the parts seen in your "stash" (ie: the bumpers & the dashboard gauge assembly are 1972-specific items). This title is useless as far as getting a title for the Racer is concerned, as it has the wrong VIN & year for an 850 Racer.

The fender-mounted mirrors are aftermarket items, not original Fiat parts, but may be very desirable to some OTAS owners if the assembly is a "Corsaire 003" model (usually engraved on the top of the mirror housing). Jonathan Ranney (Fiatpwr) can probably better confirm this if needed. :wink2:

The black steel hardtop you have is an original Bertone factory hardtop available for all Fiat 850 Spiders. :thumbsup:

If you have any questions about your car &/or the extra parts you've acquired, feel free to ask away here or PM me. :)

Re: Racer production

They made around 2890 Racers. Most came to the USA. They were available from 1970 to 1972, so three model years. It started as a 1967 show car that was shown with the early style covered headlights but never went into production in that form, I believe the original car was part of the Bertone collection. All production cars had the 1969 series two body with exposed headlights.

According to Carrozzeria Bertone records, there were 4406 Racer variants made. This number is comprised of:

• 2 Italian-market prototypes (1967)
  • 750 Italian & European-market Berlinetta Racer models (1968-69)
  • 763 Italian & European-market Racer & Racer Team models (1968-71)
  • 2890 USA-market Racer models (produced 1969-70, but sold here in the USA as 1970-71 models).

thanks so much Jeff!!! It is def a learning experience for me. Any info on the racers you can pass on to me is more than appreciated. I have boxes and boxes of trim and small parts to go through and if I come across the abarth lettering ill let you know first. The person I bought it from has had the car over 25 years, his son was driving it last in the 90s, the gas tank had a leak so it was parked. His son told him he switched engines for one with more power from one of his other cars...the original is still there (I believe there are 3 complete engines and a couple torn down) I would like to put this car back as original as possible. The mirrors will also be for sale then. Would you have any pics of a racer with all of the correct trim etc? Should this car have a console? I have consoles as well and if it was suppose to have one I want to make sure it is correct. Is this the correct dash in it? I also have a wood grain dash and a metal one, which is like the one I have seen in a couple of racers listed. I have glove box doors, dash pads, door pads, a lot of extra parts. I just want to make sure I get what is supposed to be on this car back on it.

I will be selling the black hardtop...ideas as to value of it? The previous owner mentioned that he was going to cut it up to use bad spots on the roof of this car. I don't want to do that...

The metal dash insets were from the late Spiders and would not be correct for your car. The quilted/woven black looking insets would be correct for your car.

The console would reach up to the dash panel. A few of the images on the Facebook page show the correct center console. The normal Spider version just runs along the center tunnel and does not reach up.

The interior door panels are also specific to the Racer so take good care of the ones you have.

Jeff is your go to guy on 850s in general, I am glad he found your thread. You may wish to have this thread moved to the 850 specific part of the forum so other 850 folks can join in and assist more easily.

Back