1972 x1/9 no spark

HolstadTrail

So I recently decided to restore the 1974 x1/9 my uncle bought new. I have only worked on model A Ford's previously so needless to say I'm initially overwhelmed. The engine turns over great and the electrical seems to be in functioning order. However, I cant seem to get a spark. Does anyone know the proper wiring format from the battery to ignition to coil to distributor? Also, the best way to test the coil and distributor for proper functioning?

(74) not 72, sorry

Last edited:
Does anyone know the proper wiring format from the battery to ignition to coil to distributor? Also, the best way to test the coil and distributor for proper functioning?

It's pretty straightforward. There's a pink wire to the hot side of the ignition coil - it should have +12 when the ignition key is in the start or run positions.

The wire from the other terminal of the coil goes to the distributor and should be grounded if and only if the breaker points in the distributor are closed.

Testing is pretty easy.
- check for +12 at the pink wire to the coil when the ignition is on. If you don't have that, that's your problem and you'll have to trace it back towards the ignition switch.
- Resistance between the two low-voltage terminals on the coil should be 3-6ish ohms. This is not a hugely sensitive measurement, but something near zero indicating a dead short or way high meaning a broken wire means the coil is bad.
- Check the distributor points to make sure that they're opening and closing, and that when closed the lead from the coil is connected to ground. No matter what you find, you should replace the points and set the gap properly.

Do that, let us know what you find, come back and ask more questions. I'll be able to dig up a copy of the wiring diagram if you don't have one.

So I recently decided to restore the 1974 x1/9 my uncle bought new. I have only worked on model A Ford's previously so needless to say I'm initially overwhelmed. The engine turns over great and the electrical seems to be in functioning order.

This suggests that the battery connections are good, as is the brown wire to the ignition switch. So, test for switched voltage at the coil as Eric H suggested. The results of that test will determine your next steps.

If you have voltage at the (15) terminal of the coil, as indicated by a steady illumination of a 12v test light, then test the (1) terminal. It should appear to have 12v+ also, but flash or pulse when cranking. If not, then the points are not working right. If the (1) terminal does flash, then move on to the coil-to-distributor cap wire, distributor cap and rotor, plug wires, plugs.

It might be good to pull a plug and test for spark by holding the plug against the head and watching for a spark while someone else cranks it briefly. A timing light can also be used.

It's possible you have spark but it's out of time or have no compression. Checking for spark like described will help you determine if you need to check these other things.

During all of this testing it's a good idea to keep the battery charged. A low battery will create false results.

The 1974 uses points...

These had a hard time staying in tune. I had one back in the day.
The best thing you can do is put an electronic version made in the later models, or if you want to keep the original components, get a new set of points and a CD ignition box. That'll make the points last a lot longer and give you a much better spark than the old make/break system.

Someone can chime in with a link to the old points system.

Hope this helps!

Awesome, what started as a way for me to be distracted from finals has quickly turned into an obsession... I have sat in the car since I was 5 but have never heard it run, that needs to change.

Anyways, a wiring diagram would be much appreciated. I have crawled the web for the last two days but haven't been able to find one.

Anyways, a wiring diagram would be much appreciated. I have crawled the web for the last two days but haven't been able to find one.

I don't know of any online location for the '74 wiring diagrams (although you can get excellent repros from the vendors) but I have pdf's scans from my originals. Send me your email address by forum private message and I'll email them to you.

BTW: The Haynes manual has a good wiring diagram for the US-spec '74 as well.

Back