1973 124 Coupe on Ebay

Went to look at the Coupe today. The interior has seen way to much sun as you can see in the pictures. The car itself is very solid. I found a rust bubble on the bottom of the driver's door at the rear. This is also a little rust bubble line just passed the gas door. Looks a little strange since it's the same length as the door and about a 1/4 inch behind the door.
The trunk and floor look rock solid. The paint looks as good as that color can to me.
The engine sounds good with a little valve tap. John Erskine did the valve job on this car.
This is the same guy who sold Chris F. the red coupe he is driving.
The current owner is a mechanic with many other interesting cars including a Fiat 600 with suicide doors.

This is also a little rust bubble line just passed the gas door. Looks a little strange since it's the same length as the door and about a 1/4 inch behind the door.
Possible seam from a large panel patch? Maybe required as the result of accident damage?

So Todd, is your friend going to make an offer?
I think anyone considering a 124, especially a tin top has to assume there are rust horrors lurking whether or not you can see them. And it doesn't always follow logic. The 75 spider I bought last year has perfect front suspension turrets and no rust on the rear arches, the two classic spider rust areas, but the floors were a mess with tons of rust. When I looked under the car during my pre purchase inspection, the floors looked perfect but what I was looking at was a perfectly done fiberglass layer.

assume there are rust horrors lurking whether or not you can see them
So true for all of these old cars. One of my X's does not have any rust in all of the usual places. And I could not see any rust anywhere else at all. That is until I began taking everything apart; there were rust spots hiding in the oddest places. Luckily none of them are too bad, but certainly a LOT more than I thought. Another 'truism' is that any rust you can see will turn out to be much worse than it appears.

I always assume the whole thing is about to rust in half and then, amazingly, I am pleased there is less rust than I anticipated. Perception IS reality.

Perception IS reality
Chris, you reminded me of something I was told many decades ago by a wise person. Has to do with coming to terms with things when they do go the way you hoped or expected. You can either change your perception of what to expect so that it meets reality. Or you can fight to hold onto your perceptions and continue to struggle with reality.

Perception is the difference between reality and what your brain thinks it's looking at. And sometimes those two are miles apart.

Geez, if that was a $8100 car, I could theoretically put all my kids through college with the sale of mine, which is in slightly better shape. Not perfect, not even close, but slightly better.

Back