1974 s-belt interlock

mmudge

True Classic
I used to know this but damned if I can remember now. However, the 1st time was on a '74 124 spt coupe so there might be a difference.

On the spt coupe I thought I removed the whole thing but maybe not. I believe the wires involved are the lt blue/red stripe wire and the purple/black wire.

Do I remove the Eaton module or leave it in the X? Or sould I just snip both wires and connect them with a crimp, thereby removing them from the plugs.

I have disconnected the seatbelt interlock button from the engine bay. Should they be going anywhere special. AND.....what about the wires under the seats? Rip em out? I like simple. ;)

Mudge

What to remove.

First off the 74 had the seat belt interlock system that prevented starting the car without the seat belt fastened.

On the left hand side of the fire wall in the engine compartment ( gas tank side ) the starter relay is located. It will have a red wire, going to the starter a Light blue with white tracer going to the relay coil, a red wire and Orange wire with a white tracer on the last terminal. Connect the 2 red wires together. Toss the following.

The relay, the bypass switch the seat belt switches, the interlock control box and the seat switches. There is also a neutral transmission switch the feeds the modual, but removing it will produce a gear box leak. Part of the circuit also incorperates a low oil pressure switch as well.

As near as I can figure out, the doors must be closed, the seat belts on each person in the car, the engine must be off ( no oil pressure ) the car must be in neutral to start it. All of this disaster controls the relay that has a contact set in series with the starter solenoid.

I have the factory print if you require it to be scanned.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

You can just bypass the whole Eaton module

You can just bypass the whole Eaton module. It has all sorts of wires, but only two of them are important: One from the ignition switch to the module, and one from the module to the relay for the starter solenoid. Disconnect those two, tie them together, and when you turn the key it'll send power straight to the starter relay and the solenoid will do its stuff.

Wire colours.

"On the left hand side of the fire wall in the engine compartment ( gas tank side ) the starter relay is located. It will have a red wire, going to the starter a Light blue with white tracer going to the relay coil, a red wire and Orange wire with a white tracer on the last terminal. Connect the 2 red wires together."

That will by pass the whole system.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

Wow Mike... You missed this entire discussion about a month ago...

I really learned a lot about '74s... and the only thing I THINK I can add... was there were some compoanants in ther RH side of the dashboard also.

I believe as TK says... the entire thing can be RIP'd (Retired In Place) and bypassed rather simply.

If ya really need it, I can post the drawing... but you can possibly search for JJ's discussion on this also...

I have some photos of that process.....

DSC01818.jpg

DSC01819.jpg

DSC01821.jpg

DSC01788.jpg

I GOT IT!!!!

Up and running nicely.

thanks to all for the help. The pix did the trick.

Mudge

Back