1975 Abarth Rallye Replica in Seattle $4000 [Updated]

Hey Mac....

....we are pretty certain this may be the same car discussed in the Seattle X-Sightings thread....but you probably knew that.

not sure

The thread in the DF is updated the seller appears to have lowered his price from $5k to $4k and noted the car has been stored for some time and 'needs work' (not sure what work it needs)

It is still a very interesting opportunity I will admit. I'd go look at it myself if the concept of buying another car right now was not so ludicrously laughable.. I just bought my new Civic commuter/grocery-getter/parts-runner and am kinda tapped out :whistle:

LMAO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cracked me up right there man!

(ok it IS tempting... :shh:)

Honestly though, I already am still sittin on my "slowly going back to the earth" '75 carcass, and if ANY X is going to get my personal attention any time in the foreseeable future, it's going to be that hulk :D

So I'm outtie on this one, but, not without some degree of envy of whoever might go haggle with the guy and take it home?

Maybe its just a chip foose inspired removal for style.

fooseChallenger1024X768.jpg

Chip foose is well known for removing side mirrors from most of his cars. I tend to like car designs without side mirrors also, unless they look like they were part of the design to begin with, unlike X mirrors that to me look like an afterthought (along with 99% of other cars)

Yeah, I'm sure some will have this opinion. The thing I'm wondering about more is what the POLICE think?

:nana:

Also, rear view mirrors are kinda convenient for daily driving. heh

"Hey Guys"

I think it would be easy enough for the new owner to add some mirrors if thats their preference... ;)

I'm a lot more interested at this point to know what exactly it 'needs' in the way of 'work' ...? :huh: :hmm:

... update

... I drove past the parking lot this moring, where the aforementioned vehicle is ... still there. The X does move around from space to space from week to week.

As I recall from the meeting with the owner a month or so ago, the most obvious item needing attention is the clutch slave cylinder; the master did not show signs of leakage.

What's the big deal about no side mirrors? Fitting same is no big deal in my oh pinion. Either screwed on or fit the later quarter glass with the side mirrors in situ. :excited:

Drivers door has the interiro panel removed; the window winding cable is broken. The weatherstripping on the targo roof needs replacement. Driver's side hinge for the rear trunk has separated from the fiberglass panel. A few other items likely require attention too, in the spirit of TLC.

Thanks, wombat.

How do you suppose the car moves from spot to spot with the inoperative clutch?

Would you be opposed to disclosing the car's location? I might like to stop by to take a look.

Do you remember the price of the car before it was lowered to $4000? (edit: whoops, I see it above at $5000)

-Jason
WA, USA

Last edited:
... location ...

Yeah no worries;

The X is located off Westlake Ave N ... head north, past the Rock Salt restaurant ... there is the Marine Mart building on the right ... and a car park in front. The owner has undercover moorage and is quite nearby ...

Let me know if you need further assist ...

Im still interested in the car as long as the owner is intersested in Selling. I just get the feeling he is not that intersested in selling...:no:

As an update:
I stopped to look at the car last week. On the one hand, it seems to be generally very solid. I looked underneath, and though some of the undercoat has been scraped off by contact with something (a speed bump, maybe?), I didn't see any rust or holes under there. There are a few bubbles showing under the windshield on the passenger side.

Overall, the car gives a scruffy impression, especially in comparison to the picture someone referenced at Concorso Italiano a few years back. One side of the front airdam extension has apparently been curbed and needs fixing. All of the wheel arch extensions have been worn by contact with the tires (maybe this is normal with a lowered car having wide wheels/tires?). The engine and transmission are coated with dirty oily stuff, though there are no oil spots under the car.

In short, from a distance it looks great; close up, everything seems to need attention.

Despite its scruffiness, I was thinking of contacting the owner and making an offer for the car, based more on its potential and (possible) history than its current condition. But then something else became available (not an X), so I'm not in the market anymore. For anyone who's interested, I think this car would be an excellent project starting point, but the price should reflect its 2009 condition, not its 2003 condition.

As far as I know, the car has not been back on craigslist since January, so it could be that the owner is not really interested in selling. But here I'm just speculating. Maybe he's just waiting for spring/summer.

Thanks again, wombat, for the inspection writeup, and others for your input.

-Jason
WA, USA

Back