1975 FAZA Fiat - Seattle sighting (dial up warning)

So...uh...

I've read many places about Fiat destroying the parts. That would have left King Al with possibly the only one in the world and he would probably not have complied with any request to destroy his.

Here's the website........warning, this website is packed with very rare and interesting pictures of mostly
Abarth stuff, in between Al's conspiracy rants. Interesting how alot of the Abarth racing designs resembled the road going Cisitalia cars, but these were incredible designs! I think they reflected the Italian mastery of car design at the time and unequivocally demonstrates the genius of Carlo Abarth. He deserves far more credit
than he gets when it comes things automotive Italian.

http://www.fazaabarth.info/FAZA3.html

Here are some more pictures of Al's place in Florida.

stradale_2.gif

With Al himself standing between two prototipos, both of them set up for roadracing, Al was not a rally driver.

consentino_shop.gif

I've always wondered what "FAZA Disco" meant....could it be just another expression of Al's eccentricity?

... the 4 prototipos & Stradale?

Brett .... the prototipos - were these also Fiat twin cam engines? Anyone know - were the engines also 2 liter cammers?

Duane - I've seen pics of the Stradale before; lost the link a ways back, so thanks for posting them here!

I'd agree, those flares+those wheels, along with the necessary spacers, would make a nice kit for those of us who like that look.

Right Mac? ;)

chrisE
81 X

Al's FAZA disco

... he may have meant ... the FAZA record. It could also be used (in a different phrasing) for FAZA history\results.

chrisE
81X

asking simple questions on your cars........He did to you what you to do to others,"cut the crap and shoot me an offer if not get out of here attitude".
Give the guy a chance to bragg about his car too,he`s the one who owns it.......nothing personal,just an observation:):)

Albert. I was really interested in the car. I was asking questions about what the car needed to run well. All he would mention was the hydrolics. I was attempting to get him to tell me more when he blurted out his Make me an offer bark. I find it interesting that the car also needs a waterpump and other things. Im not surprised by the condition of the car and have somewhat an idea of what to expect. YOu just cant bark orders to someone who is going to offer you money on a car. He obviously has not a clue of the current economic conditions right now.. Just think I purchased 9000 shares of Wamu Stock today.. And it cost less than a brake job on an X.....:shh::whistle:

You bought wamu?

I would not necessarily be braggin about that to people in Seattle! :whistle: ;)

I would not necessarily be braggin about that to people in Seattle! :whistle: ;)

Yea well call it a long term buy... I also got about 5000 shares of Indymac Bank...

Interesting times. Im also putting alot of money into Oil and Natural Gas Projects. Great income and amazing tax advantages...:shh::italia:

Prototipo engines...

From what I understand, the Prototipos all had twin cam engines, not 100% on this detail though. It is said that they gave the Stratos a really good run for the money and Fiat didn't want the X1/9 to beat out the Lancia division. Fiat was all about selling 128s and lost money on X1/9s.
Brett

It was the 1.6 TC

You have to think about the times. The prototipo was a purpose built racing car that was built in 1973. Fiat did not have the 1.8 or the 2 liter yet, those were the evolution of the 1.6 TC. Abarth punched it out to 1840cc, with 16 valve heads, and added twin 44mm Weber IDF's to get around 190 HP. This was basically the 1.6 engine found in the 124 Spider and Coupe, and a good little engine at that, my first Spider was a 1977 1800 with a 1.6 TC transplanted in it, it should have been a 1.8.

The thing that looks funny here is that Fiat replaced the X1/9 with the 131 for the rally program. The Prototipo
showed great promise for rallying.....so why didn't they homologate it? Simple.....they wanted 131 sales, cheaper
to produce than the X. So they "Abartized" the 131 and it did in fact win three world rally championships, in 1977, 1978, and 1980.

It's truly a shame they didn't drop the Ferrari Dino 2.4 V6 into the car. They should have had access to some as it showed up, not the in the 131 that replaced the X in the Fiat rally program, but in the Lancia Stratos, which became the uber car for rallying.

abarth_engine.jpg

Last edited:
Brett,check again your Faza "books"....

I `ve had Al "Books" since the late 80`s and have read and browse all of them on many,many occasions thorugh the yrs.Plus i have many other publications with lots of pics.
Ok,on Fazas big fat book "Race World and Rpair book",go to page 283 where you`ll find a small pic of the Stradale just being towed from Jacksonville pier by Als trusty 131 Mirafiori wagon then.Check the wheels.......CD30`s.
On another of Als publication;"1963-1983 Faza Fiat Abarth Lancia Bible",on page 16 there`s a pic of the Stradale x1/9 being driven on the streets of Italy.The driver staring at the photografer.
Wheels; CD30`s.
In other words,the Stradale was at least built,evaluated and sold to Al C with CD30`s as stated in the pics I`m refering to.Seems Al later changed to the other style wheels(Kevin Cozzo have a set like that).
I`m pretty sure the pic of the Stradale being driven on the streets have been in other publications that i may have stashed away.
I wasn`t referring to the Street Prototipo pics which are clearly wearing Campagnolo wheels.
Duane,back int he mid 90`s when i bought my Faza flares and snorkel from Al himself he "mistakenly" send me a mismatch set of fr and re flares.The fronts where the regular ones like the ones on the car for sale and the rears were the same ones as the Stradale.Called him and he said he thought i was gonna like the Stradale ones in the rear more.I said no problem but that then i needed the matching Stradale front ones for it to look right.He said he didn`t have any left and wasn`t planning on making more so he sent me the matching rear ones for the regular ones at no xtra charge and even told me to keep the "wrong Stradale ones".Later on i sold the Stradale to a regular Mira poster who then sold them to this other x owner but as no front ones are to be found nobody have done anything with them.Contacted the actual owner and was promised to be first on the list if he decides to pass them on.........Seems another approach must be made......
Brett if you don`t have the book where the pic is,i can try scanning it and have it sent your way for future references......
And yes,i have the pics you took when you visited Al,specially the one of the Stradale tucked away in storage under some boxes and items...........
So have anybody made an offer on the X1/9 in question?.....JJ,Wombat,Mac?......Common:italia::headbang:

JJ,So did you get to make and offer?.....

Somebody on the west coast needs to get/buy this car at the right price.Someone needs to make Chris a sensitive offer,i believe he`ll understand and rather sell than see the car fall apart.:italia:

woah its got a straight hood line at the base of hte windshield
damn that thing is sexy i want now...

Somebody on the west coast needs to get/buy this car at the right price.Someone needs to make Chris a sensitive offer,i believe he`ll understand and rather sell than see the car fall apart.:italia:

Just wanted everyone to know that the deal is done and I should get the car in a few days.....JJ

Got it????? or not yet???...

you`re confusing me now with your other new comments under the "Stradale thread"......already in your possesion or not?:cool:
Start a new thread on this,please:hmm:

Back