1976 128 wagon wiring help!!!!

Jepp78bertone

True Classic
CALLING ALL 128 OWNERS

I've got myself in a pickle.

I'm trying to get the wiring sorted on my 1976 128 wagon. The Haynes manual wiring diagrams offer little to no help.

Does anybody have pictures of the wiring for the 5 relays in the engine bay in front of the shock tower. Sometime in its life the wires have all been hacked up.. its a mess.

I don't even know what the relays are for.

Anything helps.

Josh

if no one helps before friday i will check my books. i am sure i have the factory diagrams somewhere

Relays should have a specific set of wires to/from their terminals. Each should have a ground. Find it and clean each terminal one by one. IIRC the #30 is "power", the #87 goes to the item that is being powered, 85 is ground, and maybe #86 is a switch?? Something like that. Just remove the relays one by one and trace the wires if you can. It is intimidating but can also be easy and fun.

Hopefully this will work. This is courtesy of Brad Artique and his Mira Fiori web site, you should become a member as he has a variety of other wiring diagrams that could be a help. It is also a great resource with some really excellent longtime Fiat owners.

Attachments

• Fiat 128 Wiring Diagram.PDF
    172 KB · Views: 416
You might do yourself a favor & track down a USA/NA version 1976 Fiat 128 Owners Manual (the red, white & blue one), which has the factory wiring diagram in it for that exact year. ;)

s-l400.jpg

Here are a couple on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/7974255376
http://www.ebay.com/itm/371539389713

just saw this...if you haven't found all you need, I got some good documentation (which I hope I've not fubared!) with my '76 wagon. I'd think it would properly ID what should be where & the colors also. If you could use it, I can scan & email (probably could not scan the size until Monday), so shoot me an email or PM & I'll see if I can help.

Josh,
Did you get the info you need already? I've got lots if 128 documentation and a '76 harness (out of one of my cars right now). I can put some info together if you are still in need.

Josh,

It'll take me a bit to get a pic of the harness (it's buried in a box at my shop) but I found the pertinent wiring diagrams.

I can only see 4 relays in your photo. Is there one hiding (you said there were 5)? I ask because it looks like the 1975 wiring had 5 relays and 1976 had 4. At any rate, 2 (or 3) control the radiator fan and the other 2 control the electric fuel pump. Going with 1976 (4 relays):

The green connector is for the main fan relay (ignition on). It looks like all four wires are there and the correct color.
The red connector relay turns the fan on when the ignition is off (triggered by a temp switch on the intake manifold). I believe the idea is to cool the carb and prevent vapor lock after hot shutdown. It looks like it has been bypassed because the white/black from the main fan relay normally runs to it, but it looks like that wire has been cut and crimped to another ground wire.
The black connector is for the fuel pump relay (engine running). The brown wires are good. It should also have that grey/yellow and then a blue/black.
The white connector is fuel pump relay (engine starting). It looks like it has all the right wires, but the blue/black should feed into the black connector instead of that sweet splice job they did.

I'm lacking scanning capabilities so I'll have to upload some cell phone pics of the diagrams so you can see the pinouts.

Plan B: install a mechanical fuel pump and just make sure the one fan relay is functional ;)

Of course, the component location diagram shows 5 relays and the diagram show 4... Typical. You'll see there's a relay 00707 (on the wiring diagram) in lieu of 00623 & 00624 (shown on the component location diagram).
IMAG2391~2.jpg IMAG2392~2.jpg IMAG2393.jpg IMAG2394.jpg

Last edited:
Courtney! Thank you so much! You have no idea how helpful this information is!
Tomorrow I'll try to get it all wired back in order and then I'll get the motor back into the car and see if she goes!

I seem to recall my 128 had a tremendously complicated cooling fan relay setup. If you just want the fan to come on when the radiator sensor turns it on and have no desire to have it run with the ignition off you could probably greatly simplify the wiring.

Yes. That setup on my wagon (formerly Carl's) is simplified. Not sure if the docs I have are still helpful, so let me know if you need more/other.

Here's the relay location for a 74

15: "Relay for motor 5 - Carburetor cooling with engine OFF"
16: "Relay for motor 5 - Carburetor cooling with engine ON"
18: "Engine fan motor thermostatic switch (intake manifold)"
29: "Fuel pump relay"
32: "Fuel pump relay starting switch"
33: "Flasher, vehicular hazard warning signal"
35: "Starter relay"
74%20128%20relay%20location_zpsofzrsucz.jpg

Back