1977 X 19 will not shift

Rodney

Someone just donated this vehicle to family Life Ministries.The doner said it does not shift.Something about a part on top of the tranny that works like a brake system for shifting gears.Live in Woodinville,Wa. He told us the part is about $20 at NAPA.Looking for feedback.
Thank you,
Rodney

The part he is referring to...

Could only be the clutch slave hydraulic cylinder. When this part goes out you cannot engage the clutch.

A few things to look out for:

I doubt NAPA carries the part, and if they do, it's not $20. I would expect a price more like $75 from vendors like Vick Autosport, Midwest Bayless, et.

When the slave goes out, often the master is on it's way out or already gone. The master is probably about the same cost as the slave, but is more difficult to replace (it's under the dash above the clutch pedal).

Once the entire system has been fitted with good working parts, bleeding the hydraulic system can be problematic. Nothing that many here have not already been through, and we can certainly guide you through it if you want. But it can be frustrating.

Pete

What Pete said...

And if you get a clutch slave cylinder, (look on eBay Item # 350326868022) and install / flush the hydraulic line and sell the car. Let the next owner worry if the master clutch cylinder is wearing or not.

Could be fixed to be driveable for cheap. Good luck!

One other thing

If the hydraulics turn out to be too much hassle for your average donated car, don't just send it to the crusher. Offer it as an as-is sale in FSW.

Too many of these cars are discarded for problems many of us consider trivial. Only serious rust keeps them from being fixed up and driven.

As Steven L. said - do NOT send this car to the crusher! There are quite a few of us in the PNW that can offer local advice. I think there a couple that are not too far from you in the north end as well. For me, it takes a boat and a bit of a drive, but I might be able to lend a hand or have a good gander at it to give you a better idea of what all it might need to be roadworthy/auction-worthy. How much time do you have before it needs to sell?

Back