1979 BOIG x19 update

wildman

True Classic
I just completed reassembling the x19 from a winters long restoration. Stripped to bare metal / fiberglass, repaired correctly including the rear wing.. "found some pressure treated wood in that monstrosity"..

I'll take some pics soon as the rain stops here and post them up. After taking out the WOOD the wing is almost 2" lower and no longer in the way of rear view. I molded the entire deck lid in fiberglass and then bonded the repaired wing to that. this thing will never crack again , "well unless it gets hit". The floor's were replaced and turned out just like factory, "por 15, truck bed liner , dynomated". The paint is ppg omni AE razor red with half a jar of color shifting pearl in it. I sprayed out the entire gallon of paint and have been busy color sanding and buffing it whenever the weather permits. Replaced the muffler with a stock 91 honda crx unit.. "large but nice and quiet".
I also moded the front of the hood to allow the radiator venting through the top.. big difference in handling over 60 mph.

Next step will be the megasquirt, followed by an early spool turbo setup with intercooler.
I learned a ton turboing the Spider and will use a crankcase ventalation system similiar to what you might see on a NASCAR.. where it uses a slash cut pipe in the exhaust post turbo to pull alot of vacume from the crankcase. This is what I resulted to with the Spider and it finally has stopped blowing oil.

My goal here is not nearly as lofty as it was with the Spider im really only looking for 7-8psi of boost here and want it all in by 2800 rpm.

Pics, please!

Only 7-8psi, that should be quite enough!

Did you try plumbing the breather back into the inlet? Off idle, that should have provided plenty of draw.

I've had CC breather issues on my Volvo, but that's running 21-25psi on a HRC hybrid Mitsubishi 20g.

yep done that... There are other issues here,, My spider has forged pistons and there is alot more blow by when they are cold, So until hot it really needs alot of evacuation in the crankcase.. The neat thing is if you can get some vac in the crankcase it will force the rings to seal and cut down on the blowby.. So a bit of vac reduces the need for vac and the whole problem goes away.. weird huh?

my spider is setup to limit boost to 18psi,, blowby really starts to increase exponentially over 10psi or so. another benifit is if your engine has bad seals it will not leak as there is vac in the cc air is likely to enter at those sites rather than oil leaking. Ill tr and grab some pics today "sun is supposed to actually shine today".

What brand/kind of forged pistons were used? How much bore to cylinder clearance? What brand/type of rings?

Properly set up, rings properly seated there should be little if any blow by. Turbo or not.

yep done that... There are other issues here,, My spider has forged pistons and there is alot more blow by when they are cold, So until hot it really needs alot of evacuation in the crankcase.. The neat thing is if you can get some vac in the crankcase it will force the rings to seal and cut down on the blowby.. So a bit of vac reduces the need for vac and the whole problem goes away.. weird huh?

my spider is setup to limit boost to 18psi,, blowby really starts to increase exponentially over 10psi or so. another benifit is if your engine has bad seals it will not leak as there is vac in the cc air is likely to enter at those sites rather than oil leaking. Ill tr and grab some pics today "sun is supposed to actually shine today".

All engines have blowby.
All forced induction engines have increased blowby, and require more ventaltion.
I have read countless articles on the matter. In a perfect world this is a very small amount of blowby. But in the real world many boosted engines suffer from increased blowby and require alot more ventalation "evacuation" to counteract it.. Even brand new turbo cars have many vent hoses from the crankcase and valve covers.
Now with forged pistons there is a need for more clearance, increasing blowby even further until up to temp.

These are real world facts.
My pistons are J&E I dont know what the clearances are, the entire short block was built and assembled for me by a local builder that I have worked with for 30 years.
Now I dont have enough miles on it to consider it broken in but my compression holds strong and even accross all cylinders. I would have to say the rings have seated.

Turn your engine over slowly with a socket wrench and tell me you don't hear blowby. that hissing aint no snake.

Looks amazing!

I saved some of the before photos when Matt was advertising...you can really see the diff with the rear wing scaled down.

Well done and one sweet machine if it comes close to your Spider :thumbsup:

boig-1a.jpg

IMG_00371.jpg

I saw your car ....

....just before you bought it. It was sitting by the street in my hometown....It has come a LONG way since then!!!! Very nice.:D

Back