1979 X1/9 Starter needed, rebuilt or new.

papydude

Daily Driver
Hey Fiat-ers,

I recently went down the treacherous path of diagnosing my out of nowhere no-start. I found it to be a bad starter most likely the solenoid. I bought one from Rock Auto but they sent me the wrong part, being a starter from a 2003 Kia.

I'm looking for a starter for my '79 x1/9, I'm wondering if I should just buy a gear reduction from MW (or somewhere else cheaper), or if someone hear has an old one that might be easy to get serviced, mine is not in shape to be rebuilt or at least not cheaply.

Thanks, Jackson

Being that this is a somewhat difficult and time consuming part to replace, I highly recommend "do it once do it right". Best case you find a used or reman'd one for around $150 or even cheaper if a member here happens to have one on the shelf and don't need. I'm not sure what the going rate to get one rebuilt is, but that will also take time to send it out and get done. Not sure if you are trying to get this back on the road asap. The MWB is new and "better" at $250. I would hate to have that $100 in savings come back to bite you in the future, or leave you stranded. Just my $0.02

You won't go wrong getting the gear reduction starter. I have one in my X and it was a HUGE difference. You will not regret it.

My mechanic gave my old semi-working starter and I keep meaning to get it rebuilt but I have not gotten around to it.

Last edited:
You won't go wrong getting the gear reduction starter. I have had one in my X and it was a HUGE difference. You will not regret it.

My mechanic gave my old semi-working starter and I keep meaning to get it rebuilt but I have not gotten around to it.
I have questions....
  • What is the difference?
  • Does it spin the engine faster? My '83 always starts easily and the stock (I think) starter seems to spin the engine over with no issues.
  • Is the problem more with the earlier 4 speed models (I think they had a smaller ring gear)?
  • Is there a problem if the compression ratio is increased?

Just curious.

I have a new SOHC 5 speed starter that my client wanted installed in his Lancia. Of course it won't fit, and he paid a premium for it because it was new. I could ask him if he wants to sell...
I do have good used ones, and even a rebuilt unit. Can get expensive these days having a professional rebuild a starter.
The 5 speed X1/9 used either a Marelli or a Bosch starter, so if your going to rebuild yours you need to specify which one you need parts for. Parts are expensive!
On the drive I have a used Marelli, and two new Bosch.
On the solenoid I have 4 new Marellis, and three new Bosch.
I didn't look up brushes or bushings, but those are also "normal wear" items on a starter. So you should be gathering them up if you are planning on rebuilding yours!

I personally have never tried the gear reduction SOHC starters. It took me years to find a reliable unit for my Chevy truck (I still always carry a spare), and I now sell a lot of their twin cam Fiat starters.
Like everything these days, you get what you paid for!

Yes, I am a vendor.

Hey Fiat-ers,

I recently went down the treacherous path of diagnosing my out of nowhere no-start. I found it to be a bad starter most likely the solenoid. I bought one from Rock Auto but they sent me the wrong part, being a starter from a 2003 Kia.

I'm looking for a starter for my '79 x1/9, I'm wondering if I should just buy a gear reduction from MW (or somewhere else cheaper), or if someone hear has an old one that might be easy to get serviced, mine is not in shape to be rebuilt or at least not cheaply.

Thanks, Jackson
I think I have one that I can let go, I’ll let you know later tonight.

I have questions....
  • Does it spin the engine faster? My '83 always starts easily and the stock (I think) starter seems to spin the engine over with no issues.
  • Is the problem more with the earlier 4 speed models (I think they had a smaller ring gear)?

Just curious.
Age.

Gumming up of the old lubricant. Worn brushes and as they are a closed system all that material collects inside there, combined with the grease interferes with proper function. Wear of many of the parts moved by the solenoid. Wear on the conductive surfaces increasing resistance.

It happens to us all :)

I have questions....

Just curious.
It spins up much faster and takes less current to do so.

I installed 1 & it works great bit sounds like a Toyota starting. I do miss the OEM sound...

Back