1981 X1/9 for sale in Maryland

rustyx19

Low Mileage
Fellow X1/9ers: I'm selling my trusted 1981 Fiat X1/9 ("Rusty"), 1.5l FI, 5 speed manual transmission, no AC.

The car is not worth restoring but worth keeping as a driver. It handles amazingly, the engine was tweaked and the muffler sounds great. It has rust and a head gasket leak (more on that below).

I have owned the car for 5 years, driving it 2000 miles a year approximately, on dry unsalted pavement. It's been garaged.

Mileage states 147266 miles on the odometer though the cluster was replaced (it's a Bertone cluster, I believe identical to the original except for the "Bertone" text in the green turning indicator).
True milage unknown. I have a spare cluster with 25,304 miles indicated. I don't know if it's original. It only has 5 digits. I have photos if needed.

Past work:
I don't know a lot about the origin of the car. The previous owner told me it once belonged to the DC Fiat Lancia president who wanted to make it his little "Ferrari".
  • Engine was worked on. The DiFatta brothers mechanic said it sounded like it had a hot cam. I have valve spacing documentation from a previous owner
  • The head was off the engine for some period of time as witnessed by the pitting on the block. I expect that is why I have had the head gasket issues.
  • The car has a monster stainless muffler system that is most likely custom (no markings), and is missing one pipe (poorly welded I assume)
  • The car was originally brown but has been repainted a copper color. The first round was done professionally - I had to look hard for the original color. Someone took the time to do it right - the first time.
  • The car was recoated by the last owner - probably a last ditch to sell. There is overspray, drip... It is shinny but it also covers poor rust repairs, bondo, some fiberglass I think
  • There was some suspension welding - difficult to see but my present mechanic showed me a couple of places.
  • The trunk had some carpetting done to make it beige. Looks OK though the carpet is coming off the secondary cooling area.
  • Interior was redone in leather (I was told) a while back. There is a hole and splitting on the driver's side.
  • I have some past documentation from previous owners (light at best)
  • I have all the receipts for the work I did on the car

What doesn't work: Almost everything works on the car. A few items don't:
- The windshield washer tank was removed
- One of the two license plate socket has crumbled
- The inside indicator for turning lights does not blink (all the lights work)
- The map light does not work (did not troubleshoot)
- The dash light is dim
- The windshield wipers are slow

What I did in the past 4 years:
- Rust inhibitors
- Front brake pads
- CV boots
- New fuel pump and filter
- Stainless steel braded break lines
- new tires (Yokohama 195/45R15) and wheels (Rota 15"x5.5") - less than 1000 miles,
- Tune up (coil, cables, distributor rotor & cap, spark plugs)
- Timing belt
- Drive belt
- Rebuilt starter
- Rebuilt alternator
- Battery
- Oil gasket kit
- Head gasket (no shaving)
- Custom cover to protect the interior from the sun when the car is parked (see photo)

What is wrong with the car:
  • I had a head gasket leak back in April. The mechanic showed me that the block was pitted and recommended shaving. At that point I had put too much money in the car so I decided not to do it. Sure enough the gasket is leaking again - or at least that is my assumption.
  • While there is no structural rust that I can see, there is a hole in the driver side floor, at the base of the b pillar on the passenger side, bubbling in the doors, window frame, front lower fender... repairable but not sure it's worth it.
  • Small crack in the windshield (smaller than a dime)
  • Windshield leaks at top center

I already spent too much money on the car and don't have space to just store it to work on it myself so I am letting it go. The car is complete (I have the back bumper and the rest of the trim, see photos).

I have some extra parts (see photos) including a full set of parts for a first year X1/9 (which will need restored). I am trying to get $1800 for the car and all parts. I will not part the car but I don't mind selling spare parts separately. EURO BUMPER PARTS SOLD

For some reason photos are loading upside down. I tried a couple of tricks without luck so I put the photos and videos on flikr for viewing. See attached. https://www.flickr.com/photos/158772265@N05/albums/72157688575436025

Send me an email at cyrus_em at yahoo with a phone no. Thanks for looking. I am also going to put the car on craigslist but will wait a little first, hoping to get a Fiat aficionado to pick the car up.

5 SPOKE/STAR WHEELS are not available. They were sold two years ago (14" tires not available in the US, would have cost 700 euros without shipping...)

Last edited:
Hello,

Possibly interested in the Euro bumpers and the wheel spacers.... PM me if you'd care to part with them...

Think I'll pass on the bumper set... I appreciate you getting back with me though... I'm sure someone else will step up to take them off your hands...

Thanks!!!

If you don't work a deal with turkanaman for the Euro bumper parts I would be interested. Please let me know if they are available.
Thanks, Kevin

Thank you for the replies. The blades are metal though as I told one of the members they are pitted, one of them through (see photo close up). They are are structurally sound. I was told later X1/9s need some modification to fit the bumper frames but I don't know much about that. Midwest Bayless has a new set for $800, some of the parts for less. If you don't want to take the time to restore these, my parts are not a good fit.

All 4 blades are present, 4 blocks, one extra bracket. I was hoping to get $200 for everything. In the past the blocks and brackets sold in the $50 range, and the blades for 75-100 each so I think it's a fair price... Thanks for looking!

I'm second in line behind turkanaman and if he doesn't want them let me know. Thanks.

That's a nice looking car. I love those wheels! If I hadn't already bought mine, I would have jumped on it.

Rustyx1/9 it seems like Turkanman is still interested so unless he doesn't buy Ill step aside. Please keep me posted.

Regards,

Kevin

Back