1982 Matra Murena 2.2 - WTH?

JimD

Waiting for Godot...
Saw this car on BAT today. I had never heard of it before. Check out the interior. 3 wide! :)
1982 Matra Murena BAT.jpg

The Matra Simca Bagheera was also three across seating. I saw one new at a dealership in Paris way back when in the mid 70’s.

These and Bagherea's were popular in Italia in the 1980's. I personally think the French have designed and continue to design some interesting automobiles....as a young man I lusted after SM's when new and I continue to....not to mention DS Safari's....and when was the last time you saw a Simca 1204?

I gotta say, that is really not bad looking. Especially being from the 80's and French... I find very few French cars are nice to look at, although I will admit that an Alpine A110 and a Renault R5 Turbo are 2 of my favorite cars. This one shows that trend toward the futuristic, in shape and design cues that we seemed to be heading towards in the product design and architecture of the 60's... This looks more 'modern' to me than the shapeless blobs we have in today's cars ..🤢

These and Bagherea's were popular in Italia in the 1980's. I personally think the French have designed and continue to design some interesting automobiles....as a young man I lusted after SM's when new and I continue to....not to mention DS Safari's....and when was the last time you saw a Simca 1204?
And while we’re on the subject of a French cars, I’ve always liked Venturi.
1674872187483.jpeg

I mean this is just sexy.

I love the Murena, lovely car. I like the idea of my wife being cozy next to me.

French cars are almost as fun as Italian cars but with a logic only a Frenchman can understand.

Kmead, the French put the three seat set up in so you could have your wife on one side and your mistress on the other.

Now I understand why you needed a dog... :rolleyes:
Come on, look at how a Peugeot is designed and choices made in the interior controls. Who puts the horn on the turn signal stalk (besides Ford on the first generation Fiesta)?

I do love French cars, they ride well, yet handle well, have interiors which are sumptuously comfortable, the designs are lovely and markedly different. The design of everything is French and often times concieved and executed like no other country’s products.

I think one of the best contrasts is taking the German ’high speed‘ train across Germany on ones way to Paris and changing over to the TGV at the border. The design differences are striking and the performance puts the Germans to shame… France for the win!

Come on, look at how a Peugeot is designed and choices made in the interior controls. Who puts the horn on the turn signal stalk (besides Ford on the first generation Fiesta)?

I do love French cars, they ride well, yet handle well, have interiors which are sumptuously comfortable, the designs are lovely and markedly different. The design of everything is French and often times concieved and executed like no other country’s products.

I think one of the best contrasts is taking the German ’high speed‘ train across Germany on ones way to Paris and changing over to the TGV at the border. The design differences are striking and the performance puts the Germans to shame… France for the win!

Don’t knock the horn on the turn signal stalk! You can flash the high beams and lay on the horn at the same time while never taking your hands off the wheel. Came in handy on the Turbo Esprit a few times!

Last year I was in Italy and the french cars were the only interesting cars to see. All the Italian cars were different variations of the Punto/Panda. The Italians have really lost their way.

Last edited:
Or your shop dog and groceries.

Actually it looks like an old rear drive Toyota Corolla GTS

Back