1985 X 19 for sale- mine

I am not an expert but I have sold a few of these. I think that you can find a buyer but realistically you need to do a good clean up. Remove the speakers from the floor because they impede most people from wanting to get in and out. Do good photos and post them on Craigslist or eBay. This is the way to get the most traffic to the car.

I had more than 10grand in my Yellow car and got 3700 for it with 51000 origininal miles in January of 2007. Maybe in the springtime it might have gotten more. ( remember with colors like Red, Black, and just more desirable colors from most buyers the whites, yellows and browns will always drag a little behind unless you get lucky with the right guy at the right timing. Black or Red are the best in My experience.

Presentation. = Dont give any buyer a reason not to like the car. Make it look as stock as possible unless you have performance upgrades. If the car has a scratch or a dent dont let a 100 dollar or 200 dollar fix keep you from getting 2000 more for the car. Take good pics and give a good description. (dont give the crappy 5 year old cell phone camera to a 6 year old and expect good results)
Do a good write up with not just facts but also a story about your experience. ( facts tell stories sell)

Price. Ask as much as you want but if you are going to ask retail make sure you have your email, cell phone etc available so that the buyer that is good to go can enjoy buying right away. ( dont let your phone go to voice mail and start acting like a salesman not a Mouse)

It always makes me laugh when I see for sale items and the seller says ( no flakes no low ballers must sell now) yet doesnt have a phone number or an email. It screams that I dont know what I am doing...

Lastly if you get frustrated Time to hire a guy like me..:)

My critique on your car and ad. You have a rear valence with a big crease in it. Doesnt make sense since you just got it back from the body shop. There is dust on the dash, Your photos could use some work( show under the car from the front and under the engine lid and frunk, more pics the better. And use a pay service like photo bucket to host your pics so pics of girls dont show up and distract your buyer. Also put your phone number on your ad. I have owned hundreds of cars and only sold one via Email...One. and that includes ebay sales. I have always had the buyer call me.

I took some of this advice and revised my ad (for a Dodge). No action in weeks.
http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/cto/4012972680.html

Well as horrible as this car below is this guy at least has all 10 digits of his phone number. If I wanted to buy your car I wouldn't know how to unless knew your area code. I think your pics are great. Just need an engine and trunk shot. And remember at that price range you should offer to finance the car and take interesting trades. You would be surprised at the response. I once sold a BMW like that. I was asking 4400 and this young lady brought me a 4 year newer Honda and cash and I really made out well...:king:

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/3968464389.html

and as a side note. As nice as this Yellow X is. I still dont see a phone number to call for the potential interested party. Remember if you knew who your buyer was you wouldn't need to put out your phone number. Since you dont yet its the best route... It might be someone lurking here that doesnt like email but is fine with the phone.:)

Here is the link to my last car I just sold. http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/3994316327.html

It took a while but I sold it. The economy has slowed a bit it took 4 months to sell that race car.

Not sure if this was supposed to be a link, but I don't see anything. And if you are interested in selling, please respond to my private message so that I can contact you.

One last interjection on selling a used car weather on a forum, ebay, or craigslist. The importance of the phone number is absolute. I cant tell you how many cars I have purchased that did not have a phone number. I recognize the lack of a phone number as a very unwilling and unmotivated seller. I can guarantee that the FAZA car seller was not happy about selling the car. He was a Jerk and was very difficult to buy from. He even hung up on me. It took a long time just him on the phone. (Translation I suspect his wife was on him to get rid of it and he just put the Add up to get her off his back)

The last two cars I purchased I emailed 3 different people in a Craigslist daisy chain before finding a phone number to a Russian lady that spoke broken English. I offered her 700 dollars for both cars and she accepted. From start to finish this took more than 7 weeks. How many people will wait 7weeks to get a phone number? I did because it pays off for me. With out my constant steady pressure those cars would have ended up in the junk yard.. They were both parked at the house of her X Fiance and to add a twist to the story the two cars were owned by her recently deceased husband of 3 years..

If you are going to ask even close to retail better make it really easy for folks to find you. If not some mooch like me will offer you next to nothing in your most desperate hour for the car...:king::shock:

Ok....

the dash does not have dust, that was the sun... :)

My phone is 240-818-1284

To email me directly, email me at chris.anders*campaignforliberty.com

Hope that helps!

Sorry to hear... You said EVERYTHING works...

but a few things. Its an A/C equipped car, right? No mention of the A/C that I see... does it indeed work?

No Offense..

But I didn't realize a guys ad to sell a car was an invitation for a lecture on how to sell a car. Chris represented the car well, and is not as far as I know misrepresenting anything. Some people would rather ask a decent respectable price for a car rather than screw someone over like a used car salesman.

Chris, thank you for the call the other day and I look forward to seeing the pics...

-Mike

Mike. Its about being sophisticated in your attempt to get the right new owner to communicate with you. Nothing else. No sleaze here just technique. Look if my advice is unwanted then dont read it. Next time someone takes pics with a crappy cell phone and does a bad presentation then I will just keep my pie hole shut OK?

:cool:

i'm not looking to argue so you can have the last word after this. :cool:

Why not just get the Mods to post a Sticky 101 on your special techniques or practices for selling and photo displaying?

When I clicked on the FS ad I wasn't expecting to read a JJ novel.
I don't have your selling/flip experience but have bought a ton on vehicles over the past decade.
If anything we are in the day of emails + PMs so usually the first multiple communications are by email. So imo the phone number is not that critical like your ramblings suggest.
Common sense of course the easier the better.

That Faza X sale you mention is not how I recall Chris James at all. (the Seattle Faza X seller)
I spoke with him multiple times and he was looking for a good home for that X to go to. He was sad just seeing that X was just wasting away in the lot.

I decided not to buy it because couldn't justify the cross country shipping expense at the time.

If he hung up on you or was a jerk I would maybe imagine you were giving him a low-ball offer or just being plain overbearing/ obnoxious.
usually 2 sides to every story :nod:

Mike. Its about being sophisticated in your attempt to get the right new owner to communicate with you. Nothing else. No sleaze here just technique. Look if my advice is unwanted then dont read it. Next time someone takes pics with a crappy cell phone and does a bad presentation then I will just keep my pie hole shut OK?

:cool:

Well our communication started out ruff. I never talked price and was very patient in my dealings. I started out our conversation about condition and what the car needed and he barked at me and I quote "do you want to buy it or not?"

This is not the way someone sells a car. And at the time he was not letting it go. The price was up towards 5 grand at that time. And all I was doing was asking questions about the condition of the car. It wasnt until several months later that he sold it to me when the price dropped on craigslist. I emailed him ( I think it was his wife that was doing the amails) and I got a much better response. Then (months later he was very candid about the condition of the car. clutch hydraulics were non functioning and a few other tidbits.

He was the best example to date of someone with an emotional connection to a car that was very reluctant to sell. Hence the rude behavior and non interest in doing any real selling. No pics in the craigslist ad. Not much description. And the overall piss poor attitude toward someone wanting to buy something from you.

Now I will say this one last time. Do you want the value of your cars collectively to go up? If so we owe it to each other to not only take care of these cars but to do equally a good job in both presentation and description when selling them. If I am off base here then there is something else going on. :)

sure....

having problems uploading pictures here, just email me at chris.anders*campaignforliberty.com and I will send you all I have.

I absolutely agree with JJ, a phone number is absolutely PARAMOUNT in selling anything.

I can't even describe how annoying it is to find something you want, then read "must sell asap" with no phone number. Then go through 37 emails back and forth with each one ending in "can you please leave me a contact number?" only to go unanswered.

If you're serious, you will leave a number and a serious buyer will call no matter what, i've never purchased a car without talking to the seller at least once on the phone.

Back