1986 Bertone X1/9 on BaT

Tavalin

Florida Mike (again)
Would anyone here have any information on this X;
ZBBBS00A2G7157078???
It is on BaT and Gary my son would love to have it. We have a max in mind.
I told him it is based on its history.
Much appreciated!!!
Florida Mike (again)

I don’t recall this car. It does appear to be a very nice car. Rare color.

No obvious indications of rust. The late Bertone seat covers we got in the US never stay nice color wise.

I will go back and look at the pics again.

Rare color.
Guessing it was a VS and has been resprayed at some point, as it's got the two paint code stickers under the rear boot lid. Maybe champagne (beige!) over black originally? But those velour seats wouldn't have been standard if it was a VS as they were always leather, or was that a US thing? Black door handles and chrome trim? Does look tidy though.

I just put in an early bid… cross your fingers.
However, we noticed that this example doesn’t have AC? How hard would it be to adapt AC (original) to this X?
I know a lot of parts and running piping… but is it doable without the need to cut and redesign the whole X?
Basically, what would it take other than a lot of colorful metaphors…lol
Curious….🤨
Mike

I just put in an early bid… cross your fingers.
However, we noticed that this example doesn’t have AC? How hard would it be to adapt AC (original) to this X?
I know a lot of parts and running piping… but is it doable without the need to cut and redesign the whole X?
Basically, what would it take other than a lot of colorful metaphors…lol
Curious….🤨
Mike

Hey Mike. Good to see you back...

Other opinions here may vary from mine....but....IF...you insist on having an X1/9 with A/C......just buy one that has A/C !!!!!

To add A/C to one not equipped would be a HUGE job. Firstly...you would need to source a huge list of bits...like the compressor and mounts, the lines, a condensor, a dryer, a bunch of switches, vacuum tank, brackets, etc. And....a different water pump, alternator, pulleys, heater box with evaporator, control panel, wiring, etc. Would require removal of most of the interior and dash, etc.

Would be a nightmare sourcing all the bits. Realistically, you would need an A/C parts car....and a LOT of labour. Like a LOT....Even assuming you were skilled enough and up to the task..it would still need a pro shop for evacuation and filling and freon and testing. All told...gotta be at least $2K or so...doing it yourself....if you are lucky...

Some here, like Rodger, have done it as part of a full resto-mod restoration. i'm sure they would tell you its a pretty big undertaking....

If...you are not up the task yourself....I would doubt you would find a shop willing to take it on. Perhaps...a shop like MWB...who are familiar with X1/9s and have access to all the bits....would take it on......would be interesting to see that bill, haha. Gotta be $5K min......

Guessing it was a VS and has been resprayed at some point, as it's got the two paint code stickers under the rear boot lid. Maybe champagne (beige!) over black originally? But those velour seats wouldn't have been standard if it was a VS as they were always leather, or was that a US thing? Black door handles and chrome trim? Does look tidy though.
We didn’t have a VS version in the US.

I don’t see the two tone paint sticker which would be on the right side of the rear boot lid on a US market car. The interior was what we got on the late fabric seated cars in a gray/green and the grey/red, neither color wore well. Surprised it’s as red as it is. If you got leather in any of those years the seats and door cards would ‘match’ though the door cards were vinyl.

I have seen a few Xs in all one color of this champagne/warm silver metallic it was a rare color as they were only 86 as I recall. If this car was repainted there isn’t much evidence so it was a good job. The odd areas are the left front strut tower inside the frunk where there is obvious gouging covered with newer paint but the strut bolts are not paint covered. In general the pics are low res so it is hard to see sharp details in the door openings etc where you usually see the spray over. There might be a sliver of paint overspray on the trailing edge of the door wiper rubber trim on the passenger door, it is tiny.

The late cars were a mix of chrome and black trim parts, likely in the tradition of use up what is on the floor until there isn’t a matching set. My 85 has black handles but chrome on the windshield, door wiper trim and rear sail trim. My 87 has all black trims throughout, with red paint but had the grey/green seats which has faded. My 85 has brown open weave fabric seats and tan leatherette (vinyl) door cards, the fabric faded badly and applying fabric dye made them into sandpaper seats, good for autocross but unpleasant with shorts :)

We didn’t have a VS version in the US.
I see, but the US did have the two tone schemes like this one:
In Europe, all two tone cars were sold as VS (Versione Speciale) models (with the exception of the early IN/LTD models) with either black, red or tan "leather", the door cards were certainly a very good match material/stitching if not the same.

The double stickers I saw were in picture 87, but low res I agree. They're not unlike the ones in picture 187 of the 85 car linked above. I think it's true to say the beige car has been blown over in a few places, which isn't necessarily bad, and to be expected for the age - I was just expecting a second color too.

You're right of course on the mix and match of the black and chrome trim as they swapped over production, I do recall seeing similar now you say :)

Last edited:
Hey Mike. Good to see you back...

Other opinions here may vary from mine....but....IF...you insist on having an X1/9 with A/C......just buy one that has A/C !!!!!

To add A/C to one not equipped would be a HUGE job. Firstly...you would need to source a huge list of bits...like the compressor and mounts, the lines, a condensor, a dryer, a bunch of switches, vacuum tank, brackets, etc. And....a different water pump, alternator, pulleys, heater box with evaporator, control panel, wiring, etc. Would require removal of most of the interior and dash, etc.

Would be a nightmare sourcing all the bits. Realistically, you would need an A/C parts car....and a LOT of labour. Like a LOT....Even assuming you were skilled enough and up to the task..it would still need a pro shop for evacuation and filling and freon and testing. All told...gotta be at least $2K or so...doing it yourself....if you are lucky...

Some here, like Rodger, have done it as part of a full resto-mod restoration. i'm sure they would tell you its a pretty big undertaking....

If...you are not up the task yourself....I would doubt you would find a shop willing to take it on. Perhaps...a shop like MWB...who are familiar with X1/9s and have access to all the bits....would take it on......would be interesting to see that bill, haha. Gotta be $5K min......
rx1900,
That is what I was agreed of. Not that I couldn’t do it. Sourcing the parts and then finding the time to actually perform the install.
Oh well, I have a bid of $4600.00 in BaT. If we don’t win so be it.
Being here in Mid-west Florida you need AC.

As always, thanks for the advice.
Mike

Appreciate the conversation. It would be good to have this one but with Gary only two years away from driving (he is adamant about a manual shift car) he will need one with AC.
If this one gets away, I have two more years to find him one with AC in great condition.
I should not have let ours go. We planned on being in the UK for 7 years and didn’t want to store it for that long. X2/9s are meant to be driven, not stored.
Again, thank you everyone and great to see so familiar folks still here.
So, I guess I am officially a “troll” until we purchase another X…lol
Mike

I see, but the US did have the two tone schemes like this one:
In Europe, all two tone cars were sold as VS (Versione Speciale) models (with the exception of the early IN/LTD models) with either black, red or tan "leather", the door cards were certainly a very good match material/stitching if not the same.

The double stickers I saw were in picture 87, but low res I agree. They're not unlike the ones in picture 187 of the 85 car linked above. I think it's true to say the beige car has been blown over in a few places, which isn't necessarily bad, and to be expected for the age - I was just expecting a second color too.

You're right of course on the mix and match of the black and chrome trim as they swapped over production, I do recall seeing similar now you say :)
I have a gold and brown 85 two tone which was otherwise a ‘base’ car so the two tone here wasn’t necessarily a premium.

Yeah that is a low res pic, I missed it. I agree it likely has had some paint blown on at some point.

Some time back, one of our members fitted an aftermarket heat/AC box with excellent results. though I would guess you would still be in the 2-3k range.

Appreciate the conversation. It would be good to have this one but with Gary only two years away from driving (he is adamant about a manual shift car) he will need one with AC.
If this one gets away, I have two more years to find him one with AC in great condition.
I should not have let ours go. We planned on being in the UK for 7 years and didn’t want to store it for that long. X2/9s are meant to be driven, not stored.
Mike
Just get a CoolShirt "Rally" set up. Services driver and passenger. I may buy one for my 85 if I start taking long trips in it.

Mike
Mike, I disagree about the difficulty of adding AC to a non-AC X. However it really depends on the skills of the owner to be able to accomplish certain aspects of it. However sourcing the components would not be difficult in my experience. We can either start a new thread about it or communicate offline if you prefer.

Mike
Well if you ever need a complete system I am stripping the AC out of my 85 so I have most the components.

Back