1986 MR2 added

jvandyke

True Classic
My kid and his buddy took mamma's '91 Miata down to Indiana to fetch this home: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/toyo...4016415?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item231f999d9f
I was stuck at work. Was nervous for a 17 year old on such an adventure. He did me proud though. Wasn't without issue however. About 20 miles into return trip started to over heat. I had told him to watch that and pull over if it got hot. He did. They waited, ran for a new radiator cap (which is in the engine bay, not near the radiator, similar to an X set up, cap is on hose near expansion tank) They took off again, this time it cruised the highway 70 miles or so before it suddenly started overheating again. Shut it down. He came and got me since now they were only 15 miles away. We topped off the coolant and took of, got hot in only about 2 miles. We topped off again and took off. Made it another 13 miles and it got hot. Left it for about 45 minutes and it made it the last 3 or so miles fine and idled in the driveway fine. Pretty weird. Rad felt too cool to me but both in and out hoses were hot. Thermostat suddenly shutting? Water pump cutting in and out? No idea. Even so he made it home. Pretty cool car. Interior is almost perfect and it seems to run and drive (and stop) perfectly. Has AC and blows cold. Yes it's rusty but not awful. Ideas on coolant issues welcome. He's pretty stoked and I'm pretty tired. We now have in the driveway; my '81 X, a '68 Cadillac, a '91 Miata, a '86 MR2, a '72 Honda CB500 (and a 05 Minivan and a '98 Intrepid). We're crazy.

When I was growing up, the toy manufactuers and their marketing departments had perfected the concept of not just a "toy" but an entire mini-universe that consisted of the main toy, all kinds of companion toys, and a huge line of accessories.

Saturday morning commericals showed the toys in action being played with by these lucky-dog kids. Invariably the booming voice of the commerical's announcer would say at the end of the commerical, "Be the first kid on your block to collect the entire set!"

Now all you need is a Fiero and you can say that you "collected the entire set" of inexpensive 80s mid engined sports cars!

Yeah, need to bleed the cooling system

I've got an '85 MR2, since new - so you might want to pick up a manual, or maybe check out the MR2OC web site, there's probably a stickie for doing this. A spigot in the front, a spigot in the back, heater valve open, if memory serves.

Good luck, and enjoy this car - like the X, once discovered, the owners tend to be fiercely loyal.

Jeff, I have a manual for that car so I can get you info if you want it.

Looks like a great start. I park next to one at work all the time, its been on my list of cars to buy for many years. The same but very different from an X1/9.

Karl

I'm pretty impressed. Silly little thing has cold AC and working cruise. Precious little DOESN'T work in fact. Very rusty down low though. We just got back in from a coolant bleeding session. I'm pretty sure there was just a bunch of air in the system. I love the cockpit. Roomy, lots of leg room, great forward viewing. Pretty cool car. Kid has good taste, gets it from his old man.:guitar::guitar:
He just got back from taking his mamma for a spin, bragg'n about his power mirrors......darn kids, no respect.

Last edited:
They are definitely that next step along in development from the X1/9 in terms of power, not huge power but half again as much as an X. The seating is much more upright, the view a bit better over a shorter hood.

Where they are quite deficient is space utilization. Bertone did a stunning job of fitting all the bits and pieces into the car as well as space for people, luggage and that removable targa. The MR2 doesn't do nearly as well, the people space is a bit bigger but beyond that it is a rather dismal packaging solution.

They are also a bit less forgiving at the limit but a rewarding car to drive for those who probe the boundaries of the envelope.

Enjoy it while the steel underbits last :)

They do make new metal bits so he could fix it up. He's going to just grind out the worse and fiberglas//bondo it up and spray bomb the repairs. Will look better, for a while. He's pretty happy.

I had three MR2's, two 1986 and a 1987. I have nothing bad to say about them. They were fast, economical, roomy, stable,super reliable,very low fuel consumption,cold A/C...
No reason at all to let them go, and get a rusty (VERY) X1/9 project, but that's exactly what I did.
I guess I prefer style, beauty, european heritage, pride of ownership and history over the other qualities.
By the way, my greatest top speed in a mid engine was in an X, not a MR2. (127 MPH vs 125).

A lot of really great comments here

I've had 4 cars in my lifetime - and 3 of them were X's and the MR2. The MR2 engine was a thrill, with that same high singing reviness of the 1300cc X, but with twice the power. The legend is the 4age was a copy of the Cosworth BDA, and I go with the legend. Otherwise, the Toyota folks were rather witless - no targa, and much poorer space utilization. But it did have the traditional Toyota virtues of extreme durability, reliability and economy. On my '74 X it was a rare year that a wheel bearing didn't go out. The 4age evolved in its lifetime, eventually getting 20valves and itb's and supposedly 160ish hp. It's pretty straightforward to screw together factory pieces and add cams and have a 16v putting out this kind of hp. I did this for the 3rd engine for my MR2; it made such a huge difference.

Well, he enjoyed for a few days, so much rust the lower control arm mounting point in the rear broke free. It mounts to a "cradle" that bolts to the frame but no luck sourcing yet. If anyone comes across an 85/86 MR2 in a pick and pull or something grab me those brackets (passenger side is fading fast too). Will compensate $$$ of course! Car is useless without.

He is taking it well so far. I am worried for finding the parts though. How does one search salvage yards these days?

He is taking it well so far. I am worried for finding the parts though. How does one search salvage yards these days?

car-part.com is a website for searching junk yards across the country... have to know what the part is called that you're after, but maybe you'd have some luck with it

That's pretty harsh

At MR2OC.com, in parts for sale, there's an '85 being parted out, maybe he can help you.

Also, on eBay, mr2parts4u is a dealer that also maybe could help.

I think the suspension pickups are bolted onto the unibody, so it shouldn't be fatal.

Back