1987 Bertone X1/9 for sale

Yeah the whole mouse thing in my back trunk was a fine find in my current X. Dang I hate the smell of mouse urine. I have taken to putting these sachets of mint in my cars during the winter months: Fresh Cab Natural Botanical Rodent Repellant, Mouse Pouch

The car does stay pungent for a while.

The plan at the moment is just get it home.

After that start with cleaning everything. I like working in a clean car to start. You learn a lot about the current state when you touch and look at every little thing.

Try to get it started without burning it down.

Then start going through each mechanical system to ensure proper operation. Looks like lots of hoses, clamps and belts to replace. The one shot from below shows a loose belt on the AC which doesn't bode well if it was driven that way.

The transmission issue is a bit worrisome but I need to learn something new and will be able to walk in the footsteps of many here who have gone before. First try the least which is just adjustment and the flex coupling.

Trying to manage my expectations and be realistic about what lies ahead. Old cars are old cars after all.

It will be interesting in any case.

Last edited:
One of the things I enjoy about getting older, My fiat isnt my ONLY vehicle! This car seems to be a great project car. Time can be taken to get it done and done right, be it 7 days or 7 years (in the case of my b16 swap). Non car people dont get that a car can be more than plain transportation. Good luck on this endeavor and I know you will keep up up to date!

Odie

The plan at the moment is just get it home.

After that start with cleaning everything. I like working in a clean car to start. You learn a lot about the current state when you touch and look at every little thing.

Try to get it started without burning it down.

Then start going through each mechanical system to ensure proper operation. Looks like lots of hoses, clamps and belts to replace. The one shot from below shows a loose belt on the AC which doesn't bode well if it was driven that way.

The transmission issue is a bit worrisome but I need to learn something new and will be able to walk in the footsteps of many here who have gone before. First try the least which is just adjustment and the flex coupling.

Trying to manage my expectations and be realistic about what lies ahead. Old cars are old cars after all.

It will be interesting in any case.

It will be interesting to compare notes since it resembles the condition of my '87 very closely. I thought mine was remarkably rust-free but I did manage to find quite a bit on the right side rear trunk pan and inner fender well. Not bad and still remarkably rust-free considering its age, but a disappointment nonetheless. We can at least commiserate on the joys of cleaning 30 years of grime.

We can at least commiserate on the joys of cleaning 30 years of grime.

Indeed not the first time for me either.

My 850 had decades of dirt sitting on it from being parked in a Burbank CA parking space. Nasty. My current X was really gross as it sat under an olive tree and still smells like one inside, my wife hates that car with a passion though the smell is only part of it.

I'd like to thank everyone who was interested in this car. I had no idea that it would generate this much interest. I'm sure Karl will do a great job restoring it. I'm not exactly sure either what he will find once he starts working on it since I'm not an enthusiast as you guys are. Looking forward to meeting Karl and seeing photos of the car during and after it's restoration.

Thanks again!
Roger

... and we expect lots of pics for reference. If that car is as original as it looks it will be a nice reference for us late model owners. ;)

I can't wait to see you get started on it! Hopefully the transmission will just end up being linkage and engine mounts. Mine would barely shift at all and that's all it was.

Back