1987 X with 42k miles

Looks and sounds very nice. Would be good to see more pics.
"abarth wheels?" I gotta get me some more Abarth stickers for my X so I can make it an Abarth... :cool:

Have to think this is on a small used car lot judging by the positioning of the car relative to the adjacent ones.

Car looks good from what we can see in the pix.

Curious if the interior is in a condition that will support an $8000 asking price!

Looks like a nice car overall. I even like this car's high-belt two tone paint scheme in the colors used; usually I'm not a fan. However I wonder if he's been driving it through PA's winter weather since importing it from CA, which would be a shame. I'd also want to know more about the damage history and exactly how it was repaired.

The Great 1986/1987 debate

I thought everyone was aware of the build date/model year issues with our cars. This one is clearly an 86 1/2 model that was titled as a 1987. All of the 1987's had the plastic door pieces and black winshield and and side window trim. The only pieces on this car that are 1987 are the steering wheel and rear spoiler. These were probably put on by the dealer. I have even seen cars that were titled as 1990s and as far as I know Bertone stopped all production in 1987.

The car looks to be in prettty good shape, if I didn't already have 2 X 1/9s and 2 other project cars I would consider it.

Last edited:
Are you referring to the gear shift knob? If not I must have missed 2 things. Interestingly, it does not have the 1987 leather boot for the gear shifter, it has the 1986 and older rubber boot. Been almost five years since I had a 1987 X, and unfortunately, but inevitably, the details of that amazing car are fading from my memory. I think I would buy another 87 if a nice one came up for sale. For some reason I like the look of the 87 model with the plastic side pieces, rear spoiler, black trim, and body colored engine cover and roof, the best of all years for the X 1/9. I even like the phone dial wheels. It’s probably me just reminiscing about all the adventures I had in my 1987.

My 1987 X 1/9 sometime around 2005. I owned it from 1994-2009

Is it a CJ or YJ or maybe a tj... :laugh:

CJ (could be a CJ with a YJ body tub, but its a CJ. :)

My TJ
IMG_20140427_194532_876_zps78c9d0d0.jpg

1991 Jeep Wrangler YJ - 7 inches of lift on 35s with a modified Chevy 350 and a NV 4500 tranny. Puts out close to 400 ft/lbs. of torque.

Looking for my first X

So back to the original post on the car in Philadelphia, I am looking to enter into ownership of my first X1/9 and I am going to look at the one in Philadelphia and wondering what concerns anyone may have. I enjoyed reading the comments already and also the 86 vs. 87 debate. I have seen some additional photos and the dash is cracked and a front fender had been repainted and the paint is starting to peel in place on the repair. Also apparently the window glass does not go all the way down into the doors, sticks up about an inch (power windows). Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks.

So back to the original post on the car in Philadelphia, I am looking to enter into ownership of my first X1/9 and I am going to look at the one in Philadelphia and wondering what concerns anyone may have. I enjoyed reading the comments already and also the 86 vs. 87 debate. I have seen some additional photos and the dash is cracked and a front fender had been repainted and the paint is starting to peel in place on the repair. Also apparently the window glass does not go all the way down into the doors, sticks up about an inch (power windows). Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks.
Good luck. If you buy it you will have a short drive home. I lived in Severna Park when I bought my current X. I flew to St. Louis, JimD met me at the airport in the X and I drove it home (15 or so hours).

Others will chime in but as with any car look at the fit of doors and trunk lids. Common rust areas are the bottom of the trunk on both sides, drivers/passenger floorboards as well as the bottoms of the doors. Look carefully at the bottom corners of the windshield as that is where rust is going to show it's ugly head first. Mine is at the body shop now for windshield rust and a complete paint job.

Test drive it, including some stop and go traffic. See if the cooling system will keep up. Pay attention when shifting, the first to go seems to be third gear. Test everthing you can, lights horn, wipers etc. A mechanic in Philly to check it out might not be a bad idea if you can find one to trust.

The windows do not totally retract into the doors, but they should stick up less than an inch. They have a funky drive system (basically a spring in a tube) that is prone to failure.

Maybe print the prior FS ad in the link posted above and use it as a bargaining chip with the OBO negotiations...:wink2:

otherwise it appears to be a solid Cali car (except for 1 rough winter) with the previous owner doing most of the routine & rough maintenance work already for you!

craigslist X in Media

halojm,

Did you go look at it? I'd love to go but I'm in West Texas. I hate buying cars sight unseen...80's cabriolet from CT was a disaster.

Thanks

Back