1988 Fiat Tipo for sale in Rhode Island

incredible to see one of these on the US ground..back in the days there was also a 2 litre dohc version called granturismo, but the most in italy where the 1108 FIRE powered; a particularity, not seen on further models: rear hatch was in plastic material

What is up the Fiat studio being so disjointed on multiple programs?

Case in point:
View attachment 15738
...please don't... :eek:

You need to see one in person Andrew. BrettM, his son Blake and buddy Larry drove a 1999 Multipla across the US on Route 66 back in 2010. The clutch slave went out about an hour from STL on day 2, so Brett and crew nursed the space ship to Chris in Stl's place. We spent the day fixing it and had lots of quality time to look it over. Up close and personal... it is still kinda bizarre. The interior is just a trippy as the exterior. It has 3 seats across the front, you can see the center seat folded down in the 3rd pic. :)
IMG_0482.jpg IMG_0481.jpg IMG_0485.jpg

Chris and I had been waiting for them at the STL Arch for a photo op when they called and said they couldn't stop anywhere except a place to fix the vehicle. Chris and I took a couple pictures anyway. We headed to breakfast and then on to Chris' house to wait for Brett. Just another day in Fiat Life.
IMG_0471_b.jpg IMG_0475.jpg

I have been (un)fortunate enough to see a few. I spent a week in with my brother and dad during the spring of 2014. We had a 500L for the week.

How do you have a Multipla in the states? Were they homologated for the US of A?

I have been (un)fortunate enough to see a few. I spent a week in with my brother and dad during the spring of 2014. We had a 500L for the week.

How do you have a Multipla in the states? Were they homologated for the US of A?

Good question. It still isn't 25 years old. Perhaps it was allowed in because it was being "delivered" to the Lane Motor Museum in Nashville? I know Jim Magill has sent a few cars over from Ireland. Back in 2005, Jim sent a Fiat 500 over for a charity drive around the USA. Rudy was driving the leg from SoCal to Knoxville, TN. I drove my 86X down to Memphis from STL to meet him for lunch when he arrived there. I tried to drive it, but the RHD and manual shift was too much for my little brain to take in a such a short time. I let Rudy handle the 500 and I stuck to my X.
x19_500_pyramid.jpg fiat500_memphis.jpgx19_500_jimd_rudy.jpg
Rudy is the skinny guy, I am the handsome one. :rolleyes:

Just had to add my personal experience with the Multipla.
Got it for 6 month from a job i had in 2001, it was brand new (in Israel).
Diesel, manual ofcource, only 105 hp but very quick, fast steering and short gear throw
made the ride surprisingly fun.
I loved it.

I remember our time with the Multipla fondly. We drove that thing all over the place. After our Route 66 jaunt, we drove it up to NYC for the FIAT FreakOut. That car was fun to drive and extremely competent on the road for what it was. Most people smiled and gave us thumbs up anywhere we went.
www.66inaFIAT.com

Were you three together for that trip? It might have been quite the adventure. So maybe they got the dynamics and driver experience right, imho they were just drawing in the dark on the aesthetics. Don't worry its not just Fiat I have found a few designs to look disjointed, some american ones do too. I'll leave specific model names out so I don't offend anyone if one happens to be your daily appliance. I don't want to make any mad. Ha and I made fun of two Fiat models on a Fiat forum....

Andrew,

I think the 124 Spider and 124 Sedan are pretty disjointed in design as well. When I went to look at my 124 found on CL, I was really expecting it to be a 128. I figured the seller just typed 124 by accident. When I got there I was surprised that a 124 sedan was a real thing and that I had never seen or heard of it before. o_O

Back