2009 Concorso Italiano

Greg (in Conn)

Bertone curator - X driver
Be sure to click for Hi res pictures :)

http://www.autoblog.com/gallery/2009-concorso-italiano/#2

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/08/15/monterey-2009-concorso-italiano-returns-to-the-links/#comments

concorso09_16.jpg

Not by a long shot. They built 272 (or was it 277?) of them and I think a good number of them are in the States.

Great shot. Thanks for posting! My personal choice for Best Looking Modern Ferrari. I have a huge framed poster of a 288 GTO that's intended for the garage but is currently hanging in the living room, if that tells you anything.

First Ferrari I ever drove, so even more special to me. Have gotten to drive a couple of more since then so one of my minor claims to glory is having driven over 1% of the total production run of 288 GTOs. ;-)

Simply beautiful cars.

///Mike

288 GTO was never federalized fo US consumption. Never officially imported.

Supposedly, there were 10 more besides the ones pictured around teh event :shock2:

Gotta remember that back in the '80s it was quite easy to bring over a grey market car. One of the ones I drove back around '01 was a recent import from a museum in Japan. Many of the owners of these cars don't advertise the fact that they exist but I suspect the US 288 GTO population is several times that number.

///Mike

Look over the top of the left corner of the blue awning. See it!! A black X.

http://www.autoblog.com/gallery/2009-concorso-italiano/full/#34

It sure was nice of them to take such a great a picture of an X1/9!! :woot:

Not sure, but that X probably belongs to Pat Olsen's brother. I could ask if it's important.
The shot with the 850 Sedan race car has a great shot of Dan Yee wearing the 40 year Fiat America shirt
The fourth shot up from the bottom has my booth dead center in the background, too bad they didn't get any shots of my truck.

Does Pat Olsen use this forum?

I am trying to find out whatever happened to the red 79 X with the Abarth wheels? I haven't been able to track him down.

-Tim

I will check their site...

Lot a stuff seemed outdated last time I was on it a while back. I need to renew my membership :)

I sold him that 79 about 10 years ago when I had to quickly relocate to D.C. for a job. Wondering whatever happened to it and if its still "alive".

Thanks,
Tim

The black X at Concorso belongs to David Olsen...

Pat Olsen's brother. Neither of them monitors this forum. I can relay any messages you have. Regards, Steven

Dark metallic red X is still alive.

Pat still has it. It needs new brake lines. Pat has a lot of projects. Regards, Steven

It was a burgundy red 79 with Abarth wheels...

Twin webber DCNF's, light flywheel, a hot cam (which always seemed to do more harm than good IMO) and mod'd suspsension. Also had nice set of 74 seats (I think they were 74). I don't know if I put the abarth checkered flag emblem on that car or not but that would be a dead giveaway.

Regardless next time you talk to Pat please have him shoot me an email tim_hoover*hotmail.com - might interested in getting her back ;-)

Thanks,
Tim

Last edited:
Tim, I'll pass your message on to Pat.

We'll be at Infineon tomorrow to watch the Indy cars and my friend, Bud Moeller, race his 1980 Ferrari F1 car in the Historic Grand Prix race.

John, my engine guy went with his 850 and got to drive onto stage!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtnexmNmR8U&feature=channel_page"]YouTube - 2009 Concorso Italiano[/ame]

288 GTO

272 288's were produced from 1984-1986. 2.9 liter V8 4 valves per cylinder and twin turbos. 400 horsepower. This was to be Ferrari's Group B rally car, then Group B was cancelled. Technologically sophisticated even for Ferrari as it made extensive use of aluminum and kevlar composites. This car was the immediate ancestor to the F40 but based on the 308 GTB. If you look at the 288 Evoluzione, you basically see an F40. Average price for the 'regular' 288 GTO is from 400K-600K with some going close to a million. Just give me a 255, a 328, and a 512 TR, and I'll invest the rest.

Back