2021 SEMA / AAPEX Shows

Dr.Jeff

True Classic
This week was the SEMA and AAPEX shows. In a word, "dead". According to the statistics SEMA had 50% of the usual number of exhibitors/vendors and 50% of the usual attendees. And that's despite them allowing the general public to purchase tickets for the first (and hopefully only) time. AAPEX was even worse; there was something like a 80% decrease....and that's about how it looked. Apparently COVID has kept a lot of people away still. Plus travel restrictions for much of the world (these are normally huge international events). And the whole vibe was rather lackluster; significantly fewer vehicles (and not many really nice ones), little swag, few models (and even fewer hot ones), reduced exhibit sizes, only a handful of "celebrities", not a lot of "fanfare" overall. While the reduced number of attendees was nice (I could actually move about unhindered), the lack of exhibits was very disappointing. But I saw a lot of my longtime friends and industry contacts, which is always one of the most enjoyable aspects for me.

Not a lot of news to relate from this year's shows:

As far as the cars go, interestingly I saw several vintage nicely resto-modded Datsun Z cars and Audi Quattros (for some reason noticeably more than usual for both), some unexpected vehicles with Honda engine swaps (we aren't the only ones doing that), the new C8 Corvette seems to be a big hit with the aftermarket companies (as for the styling, think "guys with small penises"), drift style cars are still popular, and naturally all of the American muscle car/hot rods are still hanging on...but apparently dying out (yey).

As far as products/services go, a bit surprising but I guess not unexpected was the number of EV related companies. Pretty much every aspect of it in one form or another. Looks like everyone is hoping to jump on that bandwagon.

A couple of noted offerings the X1/9 crowd might like are:

LED headlights in 7" round that look like the traditional standard sealed-beam headlights, but are engineered from scratch for LED technology. They won't be available on the market for a few months but the preproduction examples looked good. One nice feature is they've managed to keep the rear of it no larger/longer than a stand light, so no clearance issues. Here's their site, however they won't add these units to it until they actually become available:
EDIT: See the note added in the following post.

A newer source offering brake and clutch hard lines. Available in copper-nickel, stainless, and coated steel, all are seamless and annealed. The quality appeared good and the pricing should be very competitive. Plus they claim to offer a lifetime warranty. The manufacturer is located in Canada so you guys up north will like the lower shipping cost. They are working on more sources in the US but all products can be purchased directly online:

In general it was difficult to get much insight into what is currently going on in the industry. Especially when you consider there were no shows last year so this was the first exposure for almost three years. Most of the automotive world has been pretty much on hold since the pandemic hit and it showed here.

I may remember other interesting things later and will add more as I do.

Last edited:
I neglected to note the price for those new LED headlights that look like traditional lights. Not cheap at $200 each.

Just remembered something else for the X. I spoke with the world's two largest manufacturers of automotive fuses about those old Euro style ceramic "torpedo" fuses....like on the earlier X's. Both companies used to offer them in a glass tube format but neither have made them for ages, so they are no longer available. And neither of them recalled ever making them in the 'short' format, like on our headlight motor relay circuits. For what it's worth these corporate reps have been with the respective companies for a very long time and recall all of the old school products (we often reminisce at how things have changed). So apparently Fiat must have sourced the short ones from a non-standard manufacturer (does anyone know who actually made the original ones?). Unfortunately that means there is virtually no chance of finding any new ones now.

Last edited:
Here is a picture of led head lights from eBay , $50 for two with a little grinding on fins fit perfect and can not go wrong on price ,

Attachments

• 108C3423-EBDB-4A1D-BAC7-DC8AB27142F2.jpeg
    108C3423-EBDB-4A1D-BAC7-DC8AB27142F2.jpeg
    221.2 KB · Views: 99
  • F89362D0-BBD7-47A4-B085-B803CBC8F30D.jpeg
    F89362D0-BBD7-47A4-B085-B803CBC8F30D.jpeg
    199.2 KB · Views: 99
Here is a picture of led head lights from eBay , $50 for two with a little grinding on fins fit perfect and can not go wrong on price ,
The intent of the new ones coming out is they don't look like LED lights (such as the ones pictured), but exactly like the old school OEM lights. I suppose on the X, with its flip-up headlights, that isn't quite as critical. But some owners strive to maintain a stock original look. However I agree it's a big price to pay for it.

I was just reminded of something else I noticed at the show. I'll have to look into this to see, but I suspect at some point "Momo" has been sold to a 'offshore' company. The display of their current product line looked very "cheap" compared to the old days of their Italian reputation. And I don't just mean the merchandise looked cheap, but the whole presentation had that "low budget" appearance. Unlike the ones in past years. For the most part it was their traditional logo and name stuck onto a bunch of crappy stuff. Very disappointing to see them decline like that.

Hey doc, if things retrograde badly enough, in five or six years we may have to look at the ads in the back pages of Road and Track and Car and Driver for ads about car stuff.

Hey doc, if things retrograde badly enough, in five or six years we may have to look at the ads in the back pages of Road and Track and Car and Driver for ads about car stuff.
I really miss the old days if car magazine ads, mail order catalogues, and such. Growing up that was one of my biggest enjoyments. I used to send away for just about every car product catalogue I could get and spent hours studying it from cover to cover. And magazine articles taught me a lot too, not so much the write up but examining the photos in detail to see how things had been done. Although the internet offers a lot more information, and I've embraced its benefits, I still prefer printed materials in general. And that's one of the joys I get from attending the trade shows - seeing and handling the real product, talking to the people behind them, and gathering materials for future references.

You, my friend, are an ancient and feels at home in the tactile world. The whole reason I loved going to the Carlisle Import and Kit Car show was the fleamarket. Ebay killed that. I would go to junk yards just to see if there were any new 124 spider parts cars in and to look to see if parts from other European cars could be adapted to my Fiats. Rarely, if ever, do Fiats show up in junk yards anymore.

You, my friend, are an ancient and feels at home in the tactile world. The whole reason I loved going to the Carlisle Import and Kit Car show was the fleamarket. Ebay killed that. I would go to junk yards just to see if there were any new 124 spider parts cars in and to look to see if parts from other European cars could be adapted to my Fiats. Rarely, if ever, do Fiats show up in junk yards anymore.
I grew up in a small rural area so there weren't any automotive swap meets and the junk yards never had anything decent. So it wasn't until I got out of college and living in a major area of SoCal that I discovered the fun of a good car or bike swap meet. And I really enjoy them to this day...even if there isn't a lot of good import stuff.

Back